• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Audio-GD R8

Smusique

In past measurements we have confirmed that even discrete R2R can perform very well.

However, many devices using the same type of technology perform poorly, which is why I mentioned in my previous measurements that I instinctively hate discrete R2R.

Today we have ushered in such a unit.

A reader of my website sent me this unit and he wanted me to measure it.

(If you are from China, I believe that by seeing the photos, you can already understand what terrible things will happen later) ;););)

View attachment 40751

This is the dashboard:

View attachment 40752

View attachment 40753

View attachment 40754

View attachment 40755

View attachment 40756

All the above measurement results indicate that this is a garbage.

Even more frightening is that the manufacturer is a liar

Here are the measurements published by the manufacturer:

View attachment 40757

My suggestion: you should Never Ever Forever consider this manufacturer's products.
You are definitly a audio-gd hater. I have put all your mislead opinions on ignore.

80% of the comments is just hate and blindness.

I have R1 R8 R7 (R7HE MK2 DI20HE incoming). They performs 100 times better than the best measure dacs you have here.

You are just keeping embarrasing yourself with this hate against AGD.

Nobody cares about your lonely hate, everybody know AGD will be so popular. It has already conquered(competitors) all the best hifi reviews.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You are definitly a audio-gd hater. I have put all your mislead opinions on ignore.

I have R1 R8 R7 (R7HE MK2 DI20HE incoming). They performs 100 times better than the best measure dacs you have here.

Nobody cares about your lonely hate, everybody know AGD will be so popular. It has already conquered all the best hifi reviews.
CONQUERED!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Nobody cares about your lonely hate, everybody know AGD will be so popular. It has already conquered(competitors) all the best hifi reviews.
Looks like your English translator is as reliable as an AGD DAC. ;)

Smusique

Looks like your English translator is as reliable as an AGD DAC. ;)
…and you must be the hater nr1 I have seen couple of your hate/comments in other threads toward agd. Not surprised you make offense with my english. Thats your first intention for argument anyway.

Mark my words all you haters will be convinced of agd one day.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
…and you must be the hater nr1 I have seen couple of your hate/comments in other threads toward agd. Not surprised you make offense with my english. Thats your first intention for argument anyway.

Looking forward to seeing your ears-only ability to distinguish this from a $10 dongle. There's nothing like actual data and evidence to shut up the "haters." Make sure you're very explicit about outlining controls and level matching procedures.

YSC

Major Contributor

I had the NFB 1 2014, it was worse than the Onkyo SE300 sound card I had and become a paper weight in my drawer since then.... now using the Holo Spring 2 and happy as ever, if you would like to get the NFB1 cheaply?

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Can we see your measurements please? Or the statistics from your double-blind listening tests? Your OPINION of what you think the DAC sounds like is worthless without PROOF. And the only proof that has scientific validity comes from NUMBERS. Either competent measurements or, if you insist on using listening as your criteria, then you need statistics from well-conducted double-blind listening tests, preferably with a reasonable population size of test listeners. Opinions are NOT the same as scientifically demonstrated truth.

Veri

Master Contributor
You know Wolf praises a lot of other local Chinese manufacturers who put plenty of thought and effort into their designs (and I don't mean just Topping SMSL etc, but also Holo audio, many others....) Audio-gd just isn't one of them. It's honestly sad to be so aggressive for getting called out on that.

Smusique

You all must like the sound of your op-amps

See if you can find any in the series HE/AGD. NOT!

Topping THD op-amp lovers♥️

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
One day? I thought the hype around Audio-gd went away at least a couple of years ago if not before. Even people like you have moved on to greener pastures.

Performance aside, has something changed about having to paypal the money to some individual to order something?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why the parade of (bad) trolls for Audio-GD? Did I miss the memo?

SubOjectivist

One day? I thought the hype around Audio-gd went away at least a couple of years ago if not before. Even people like you have moved on to greener pastures.

Performance aside, has something changed about having to paypal the money to some individual to order something?
Yeah, apparently they now request BTC / ETH transfers, so that they won't be required by Paypal to issue refunds to swindled dissatisfied customers.
At least if their DACs perform no better than those from the last century, they use state of the art payment methods.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, apparently they now request BTC / ETH transfers, so that they won't be required by Paypal to issue refunds to swindled dissatisfied customers.
At least if their DACs perform no better than those from the last century, they use state of the art payment methods.
Not as stupid as we thought they were.

lateralous

Very odd to be so emotionally attached to a metal box that fails to perform the one job it has.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
You all must like the sound of your op-amps

See if you can find any in the series HE/AGD. NOT!

Topping THD op-amp lovers♥️

Audio-GD R8 has the third harmonic of a 1kHz tone well above -80dB, and it has lots and lots of other prominent distortion products. I wouldn't worry about it being audible, but a SOTA low distortion design it most definitely isn't.

Topping E70, a "dirty" op-amp based design, has all of its distortion products from a 1kHz tone well below -140dB, just saying...

I don't understand your argument about THD. The numbers are very much against you.

Last edited:

SubOjectivist

I've got another question: Did they finally hire an actual webmaster?
Apparently not:

Honestly, tho: I'm surprised by their progress in English! :p
What!? The design of their website actually looks fairly modern, don't you think so?

'Copyright(C) 2004 www.audio-gd.com All Rights Reserved'

Fair enough, maybe it was slightly more akin to websites from the '90s, but I'm definitely nitpicking here.

Top Bottom