• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Audio-gd NFB2 192 DAC

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Could be; you might be thinking of Otala, whose work was pretty soundly beaten up by Bob Cordell and a few others. Earliest I'm aware of was stuff from Hiraga, which pre-dated Otala.

Whenever there's something really, really stupid in the high end audio niche, it seems to nearly always eventually lead back to Hiraga.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Could be; you might be thinking of Otala, whose work was pretty soundly beaten up by Bob Cordell and a few others. Earliest I'm aware of was stuff from Hiraga, which pre-dated Otala.

Whenever there's something really, really stupid in the high end audio niche, it seems to nearly always eventually lead back to Hiraga.

Wow, you really are a walking encyclopedia! If you ever come to Croatia pls shoot me a message and I will take care of food&wine so I can learn a few more things from you in a more relaxed environment. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
My wife has a less flattering term for it. Something about a garbage pile for a brain. :cool:

I've been promising myself another trip to Eastern and Central Europe (I used to go regularly when I was in the wine biz, but haven't been back in ten years), so you might come to regret the invite.

Krunok

Major Contributor
My wife has a less flattering term for it. Something about a garbage pile for a brain. :cool:

Let the first unmarried man without similar experience cast a stone.. :D

I've been promising myself another trip to Eastern and Central Europe (I used to go regularly when I was in the wine biz, but haven't been back in ten years), so you might come to regret the invite.

Not so long ago I was #9 at the Croatian Vivino app wine lovers so no worries, come whenever you can. :)

Calexico

You said it all. You simply don't know what "design" means.

The difference between Topping and Audio-GD is called: Engineering.

One is bad designed with lot of components. The other properly engineered with few.
One just do like the datasheet without any creativity and sell it expensive because of pointless specs.
The other try other things and has a more freedom approach.

Calexico

The paradox is that no feedback dacs have negative feedbacks from reviewers.
And negative feedback dacs have positive feedbacks from reviewers.
Where is the logic?

Veri

Master Contributor
The paradox is that no feedback dacs have negative feedbacks from reviewers.
And negative feedback dacs have positive feedbacks from reviewers.
Where is the logic?
Not sure that's how you intended it but agree with what you say, feedback dacs have positive reviews, no feedback dacs have negative reviews. :cool:

Where is the logic?
You're getting there.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One just do like the datasheet without any creativity and sell it expensive because of pointless specs.
The other try other things and has a more freedom approach.
I don't know what to say... Creativity vs pointless specs... you probably got it right. @amirm, would you please add measurements for creativity and freedom in your next Audio-GD review? We are all fed up with pointless specs. Thanks.

:facepalm:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

FireLion

They often have such measurements. Problem is that I have not been able to get same results. If they have something that measures well, they should be motivated to send me one.

There is definitely some color on my NFB.11 but I only noticed after listening to cleaner amps.

Calexico

Colorless dacs are like sterilized milk cheese.
No bacteria and boring.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Calexico

Or you should consider what i say.
It's total nonsense to think systematically that what is felt is wrong if not shown on measurements.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is very interesting. Thanks for the additional detail!
I didn't know there were different stages that have negative feedback in the dac. I have to confess I can't quite get the full picture because there is a lot of things you mentioned I don't know about (like global versus local negative feedback, a gain of 1, simple emitter follower, or the various amplifying stages present in a dac. If you or anybody wishes to talk about or link to that, I would appreciate it. Thanks
Currently I'm very busy preparing a 66 page booklet for the alpine club but I try to explain more when the job is done.

What is your background in math, physics and electronics?

A very good read is Horowitz/Hill The Art of Electronic. I have the 2nd edition (hard cover). I could imagine buying the new 3rd edition and selling you my 2nd one.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's total nonsense to think systematically that what is felt is wrong if not shown on measurements.
Your feelings are detached from what your ears are sensing. In that regard, your comments belong to some other forum not focused on audio science.

Wombat

Master Contributor

I think that your seemingly endless posting of opinions has been generously considered and found wanting - thus you are still trying to credibly explain your views.

Top Bottom