• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Audio-gd NFB2 192 DAC

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tend to try not to be biased
No one can do that. ;)
Apart from not being able to run the sub, the NFB-2 completely blew the a3080 out of the water (with 2 channel music that has great imaging). Went from feeling like I'm in the room with the artist to felling like they are basically sitting on my face.
Perhaps it is just relative to the higher output voltage versus the internal DAC of the Yam. Honestly, I do think that AGD could actually sound different than others, but they would just sound worse. Just usually identified as different, or "better", because of their higher output voltage.
curious cable (no idea if they'd make the difference, still not sold on a USB cable making the sound better... ?
These make absolutely no difference, especially the USB cable that just can't do any.
I'm still relatively new to the hobby (couple years, maybe, of being more 'serious') and very new to DACs.
I will speak honest : Because of this, there is a very high probability that you will switch DACs again, and again, finding a better sound every time... Because it is what you're seeking to achieve, so you always will (even if you happen to buy the exact same DAC than one you previously owned, branded differently, you may observe an "improvement").
If you want to save time and money: better upgrades are the speakers, their placement, room EQ, acoustic treatment. Then, amplifiers (mostly a matter of power), and only then, DACs.

milosz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This is probably too old and not going to get noticed, but I picked up one of these recently and the sound is pretty amazing. I'll likely be comparing with a friend's topping soon.
Be sure to do a blind comparison, otherwise the comparison has no objective validity.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Thanks, much obliged.

Yeah, fair enough. I'm still relatively new to the hobby (couple years, maybe, of being more 'serious') and very new to DACs. I got the DAC, Audiophilleo and curious cable (no idea if they'd make the difference, still not sold on a USB cable making the sound better... ?) second hand fairly cheaply, just to dip my toes in, as I've primarily been using my a3080 as the DAC/media device. From there to a power amp and a set of Tannoy Precision 6.4 - all of which I was already mostly happy with.

Apart from not being able to run the sub, the NFB-2 completely blew the a3080 out of the water (with 2 channel music that has great imaging). Went from feeling like I'm in the room with the artist to felling like they are basically sitting on my face.

Haha. Likelihood of proper blind test I think is probably low. I don't really have the facility to quickly and easily switch sources. Since hearing the difference of this DAC combo, now trying to work all that out without breaking the bank.... again. At the moment I'm literally swapping RCA's at the amp, it's the picture of modern convenience!

I tend to try not to be biased, I've discovered a lot of 'weaknesses' in my setup(s) over time and once I hear something 'better', it's really hard to go back.
Well I would ask you to be as objective as possible when testing because the performance may be good enough(in some cases) but it really isn't anything that AudioGd has claimed.
I feel like the main reason that you feel that there is such an upgrade with this product is just due to the output voltage because many non-audiophile products output literally anemic or pathetic voltages that make everything sound super flat unless they are highly amplified.

Last edited:

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Be sure to do a blind comparison, otherwise the comparison has no objective validity.
Or at least level matched (exact matched not by ear ffs!) and be able to switch fast to do proper A/B test.

It's the first step in the right direction. If you do that, blind or double blind tests are often not needed as you will already hear what is the difference (or as it is most of the times lack of the difference ;) ) - just be honest with yourself.

omad

No one can do that. ;)
We can keep trying though ;)

Perhaps it is just relative to the higher output voltage versus the internal DAC of the Yam. Honestly, I do think that AGD could actually sound different than others, but they would just sound worse. Just usually identified as different, or "better", because of their higher output voltage.
Excuse my ignorance, but I'd have thought dropping the volume in windows would also reduce the voltage (car audio background, that's usually how it works in that world, source volume down = lower voltage over the RCA). That's currently the only volume control I have as I don't have a separate pre-amp. I've also played around a bit with HDMI and optical on the 3080, but they seem to run 2nd rate overall to playing a flac through DLNA on the 3080's internals. I, for lack of a better word right now, foolishly even tried the DAC into the 3080's analogue inputs - unsurprisingly it sounded much the same as the 3080 through HDMI/optical, as it processes everything.

These make absolutely no difference, especially the USB cable that just can't do any.
Yeah, that's generally my thoughts as well, but I also used to say similar things about speaker cables - bearing in mind i went from very basic to 'high end' in a 2nd hand experiment, much like this one. Outcome was unexpected.

I will speak honest : Because of this, there is a very high probability that you will switch DACs again, and again, finding a better sound every time... Because it is what you're seeking to achieve, so you always will (even if you happen to buy the exact same DAC than one you previously owned, branded differently, you may observe an "improvement").
If you want to save time and money: better upgrades are the speakers, their placement, room EQ, acoustic treatment. Then, amplifiers (mostly a matter of power), and only then, DACs.
Fair call, and I did go back and read a little history on this thread, so please don't throw me in the same basket

Funnily enough, I've basically followed those principles (often with some of the same skepticism, but trying to keep an open mind). Room treatment was one of the first 'serious' changes I made, and should have years before. Was also on a lesser v685 Yamaha and added a power amp, which I still use with the 3080. I've gone through 3 sets of Tannoy speaker upgrades, for now I'm pretty sold and love the Precisions and the Tannoy sound/2 channel image in general. Placement (within reason in my weirdly shaped small room) played a big part in that, including setting up the carpet spikes. Other tweaks, settings, adjustments etc over the time. I've played a little with room EQ, but always find the more I get response back to 'flat', generally makes the music sound exactly that - flat, thin, lifeless. It's definitely beneficial with bass though, much prefer the even tones to boomy, but I am yet to master 2 subs as good as just the one.

Real honesty back, I've been getting curious about my source (a3080 - still sad amir didn't still try test what he could on the pre-out .... and it's poor rating) mainly due to hearing some clipping at certain points in certain music and still unsure if it's something the 3080 is stumbling on, or genuinely the recording (absolutely confirmed with Chili Peppers Californication album, sad). One of the main reasons I've shied away from it, other than the 3080 supposedly having 'amazing' DACs, is the major inconvenience that such a separate system involves.

Most of all these things tend to show up and, for me, are way more noticeable when you have really good 2 channel imaging set up. There's no way I'd pick half of this stuff without that, and the music to go with it.

omad

Or at least level matched (exact matched not by ear ffs!) and be able to switch fast to do proper A/B test.

It's the first step in the right direction. If you do that, blind or double blind tests are often not needed as you will already hear what is the difference (or as it is most of the times lack of the difference ;) ) - just be honest with yourself.
Honestly, if I could do that with absolutely everything, I would. I don't know what the perceived differences might be, or if they'll be as night/day as the 3080 to NFB-2, but I'll give it a bash. If I had all the money, I'd buy all the sound gear just to hear what it's like. Love hearing other people's setups.

By the same token, I love facts, measurements and transparency and appreciate the work done on this site. Honestly not here to defend the product, just thought it was odd only testing on USB, where most other 'testers' said the same thing - USB was average to appalling. Maybe it makes no difference *shrug*. I got this thing cheap just to try and was mainly looking for where it sat on 'the list' to gauge my options down this path, preferably on something with some volume control :) Was just really surprised it was that bad.

omad

I know it's an old thread.
But It was long time since I had so much fun reading topic.
Mostly because of @Calexico
Epic denial attitude.

Hooleeeeeyy sh****t.

Much as I wish I better used my time, some of that was worth reading - particularly the post by amirm on the subjectivity of listening and perceived differences. Seriously, that post should be bookmarked or something. Now totally understand why there is some forcefulness behind the blind testing.

I guess all I can say to that at this point, is a decent amount of differences (perceived or real) I've taken mostly with skepticism. This DAC conundrum kind-of. I'm honestly more disappointed that there is a difference and it means changing my setup and that there is extra potential there. Most of my 'upgrades' I have tried to A-B, particularly with the speaker cable. Copper is copper, had a hard time computing that one, but couldn't mistake the difference.

Just for shits and giggles, my perceived difference of the NFB over the 3080 is that the sound stage is even wider (absurd to me, as it was already impressive) and the fine details in the music were far more pronounced, where it almost felt like the singer would be breathing on my face.

Honestly, if it weren't littered with a lot of incoherent ramblings, this thread is a gold mine that you can decide how deep you want to dig. Thanks for having more patience than I did, I started skipping posts pretty early.

Top Bottom