• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Anthem MRX 520 AVR

DubbyMcDubs

As a side note, I'm still on my quest for a new streamer/pre/DAC - if the miniDSP SHD had a firm HT bypass function my quest would be over. I have considered buying a balanced or unbalanced switching box so that I can eliminate needing the HT bypass function but just haven't. The NAD was an option but some of the bugs affect the HT Bypass function. And, after your recent measurements of other NAD avr/prepros, any willingness to deal with (likely fixable) bugs has all but disappeared.

I have also had my eye on the miniDSP SHD, the Studio version actually, and noticed it has four preset memories. Could one serve as a bypass mode, with no correction applied?

Flak

Industry Insider
I have also had my eye on the miniDSP SHD, the Studio version actually, and noticed it has four preset memories. Could one serve as a bypass mode, with no correction applied?

You may try creating a filter with no correction by dragging the curtains that define the region of frequencies where correction is applied

RndmLstner

Yes, the presets include the option to apply/disengage correction to the selected input.

As to the HT Bypass function, the answer is a bit trickier for practical purposes. As it's a bit off-topic here, I'll refer you to 2 threads on the miniDSP SHD forum:
Thread 1 - Short answer - you can and some do, but there is no fixed volume option; the work around is to use a remote macro to turn the volume all the way (b/c volume does not appear to be a setting in the preset). The risk is causing damage to your speakers if you forget (or your reverse remote macro forgets) to turn the volume back down before using the SHD for a different purpose.

Thread 2 - General discussion on bypass

Since you're interested, you may want to indicate your interest by posting in one of those threads or communicating your interest to miniDSP. I don't see why they couldn't create a passthrough option setting that would address the volume issue.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Knowing that most AVR stuff is crap, many years ago I made the choice to have two separate systems: one for movies and Dolby (now mainly Atmos) and one for music. I would never use the AVR for music listening, only HDMI sources, and the only gear in common is my main pair of speakers that are hooked to the AVR (doing front right and left on a 5.1.4 configuration) and to my Pass Labs amp through a switcher. I don't think it is possible to find on the market an all in one product that is half decent quality wise.

Last edited:

sfdoddsy

As the owner of a crappy measuring MRX 520, and also equally crappy measuring Paradign PW Amps (and someone who also was considering the likewise crappy NAD T758) I of course read the reviews with interest.

I've also owned some very good measuring amps in the past (Krell etc), and have some decent ones on hand now (Rotel, Crown and ADA, plus Yamaha, Marantz and Integra receivers).

I sold my Krells because I couldn't hear a lick of difference between them and the cheaper power amps. And I can't hear a lick of difference (when not over-driven) between my cheaper power amps, any of the receivers, and the crappy measuring Anthems and Paradigms.

I can hear a big difference when engaging ARC room correction.

Casting any golden ear pretensions even further aside, I also can't hear a lick of difference between DACs, preamps, 320kbps vs FLAC, or DD and DTS vs SACD. You can of course add cables, stands, Bybee resonators, Mundorf/Dueland etc crossover upgrades to that list.

Speakers make a difference. The room makes a difference. Room treatment makes a difference. Room EQ makes a difference. Low-powered single end valve amps make a difference. Crappy noisy T amps make a difference.

None of the other stuff being measured and critiqued here really does.

audioBliss

Yeah sure but it wouldn't hurt if all your gear measured reference, right? Hopefully tests like the one done on this site will put the pressure on companies to do better. I don't think it has to be more expensive to make a product that works to 2019 standards. They need to improve their processes, buy some measuring equipment and start to incrementally develop and test new products being produced before shipping. Now I can't imagine that they even know what they are shipping.

sfdoddsy

It wouldn't hurt, but it probably also wouldn't help.

I'd rather amplifier/digital companies spent their money on things that make a difference - like DSP, Room EQ, crossover integration, subwoofer integration, and their ilk.

That's certainly what I spend my money on these days.

I'm fond of the look of over-engineered toys, but less os of their sonic pointlessness.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It wouldn't hurt, but it probably also wouldn't help.

I'd rather amplifier/digital companies spent their money on things that make a difference - like DSP, Room EQ, crossover integration, subwoofer integration, and their ilk.

That's certainly what I spend my money on these days.

I'm fond of the look of over-engineered toys, but less os of their sonic pointlessness.

Apparently, ASR provides detailed "pointless" measurements, why are you here ? :p

There is a trend where manufacturers are providing decreasing performance specifications. Apparently, there is a reason for this trend, performance is decreasing as well. There is no justification for any product costing over $1000 with performance that cannot measure up to a $9 Apple headphone adapter.

- Rich

sfdoddsy

I'm here mostly because of the technical expertise in the speaker and room EQ sections.

The science of audio is supposed to be in the service of better sound.

Whilst good figures are obviously better than poor ones, obsessing over inaudible measurement differences in amps and DACs strikes me as being as futile as ascribing subjective sonic differences to what are essentially commodities these days.

I'd like to see Amir do a double blind test of one of the better measuring amps versus one of the poorly measuring ones.

History tells us what the result will be.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I'm here mostly because of the technical expertise in the speaker and room EQ sections.

The science of audio is supposed to be in the service of better sound.

Whilst good figures are obviously better than poor ones, obsessing over inaudible measurement differences in amps and DACs strikes me as being as futile as ascribing subjective sonic differences to what are essentially commodities these days.

I'd like to see Amir do a double blind test of one of the better measuring amps versus one of the poorly measuring ones.

I bet I could hear a difference, but I want the room setup with five Revel Studio 2's in a very large room (say 30' x 45' x 15') with a lot of absorption. I bet I can drive those cheap amps to clipping with my hearing being so limited at my advanced age.

MSNWatch

As the owner of a crappy measuring MRX 520, and also equally crappy measuring Paradign PW Amps (and someone who also was considering the likewise crappy NAD T758) I of course read the reviews with interest.

I've also owned some very good measuring amps in the past (Krell etc), and have some decent ones on hand now (Rotel, Crown and ADA, plus Yamaha, Marantz and Integra receivers).

I sold my Krells because I couldn't hear a lick of difference between them and the cheaper power amps. And I can't hear a lick of difference (when not over-driven) between my cheaper power amps, any of the receivers, and the crappy measuring Anthems and Paradigms.

I can hear a big difference when engaging ARC room correction.

Casting any golden ear pretensions even further aside, I also can't hear a lick of difference between DACs, preamps, 320kbps vs FLAC, or DD and DTS vs SACD. You can of course add cables, stands, Bybee resonators, Mundorf/Dueland etc crossover upgrades to that list.

Speakers make a difference. The room makes a difference. Room treatment makes a difference. Room EQ makes a difference. Low-powered single end valve amps make a difference. Crappy noisy T amps make a difference.

Agreed with ARC - nothing on the market provides its combination of ease of use and sophistication. In under 10 minutes you can run room correction as good as if not better than anything out there. And that’s without knowing anything about it beforehand. And the PW Amp for me has been a game changer - the poor measurements to me are inaudible and the ability to run ARC Genesis without needing a wired Ethernet connection like the Anthem products require is a plus. The small form factor is also a plus.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Likewise.
I believe AVSForums did a similar blind test of AVR vs separates a few years back to compare sound quality of the AVR amplifier section versus adding a separate amp, and it was pretty conclusive that NOBODY could tell the difference. Of course since then, I'm pretty sure the mass market amplifier section of your typical $1,000 mid-range AVR has only improved.

So the big question is THIS: are we asking for overbuilt AV components (ie/ Audiocontrol Maestro X9 uses the latest/best Sabre DACS available) for peace of mind, but ultimately, the difference between 1% distortion and 0.001% distortion (despite being objectively 1000 times "better") ends up being moot when your ears cannot distinguish the difference between 1% and 0.5% distortion anyway?

My point is to question where we should draw the line when it comes to precision of certain data points? 0.000001% distortion versus 0.001% distortion requires super expensive tooling to achieve, and you will be paying for this amazing accomplishment, but for what purpose?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As long as you didn't pay extra because you thought they did, we are good. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Of course since then, I'm pretty sure the mass market amplifier section of your typical $1,000 mid-range AVR has only improved.
It has? Why? They had to stuff a lot more amps in the same box and sell them for similar prices. This is why the Pioneer amp in my AVR pulls back the power to just 30 watts after 45 seconds. I assure you this is audible and due to inflation of number of channels in these amplifiers.

BTW, the easiest way to hear differences between amplifiers is to push them to high SPLs. If you get scared before the amplifier does, then it is good and transparent.

SimpleTheater

Forum Donor
I believe AVSForums did a similar blind test of AVR vs separates a few years back to compare sound quality of the AVR amplifier section versus adding a separate amp, and it was pretty conclusive that NOBODY could tell the difference. Of course since then, I'm pretty sure the mass market amplifier section of your typical $1,000 mid-range AVR has only improved.
I would never assume quality improvement. When I saw that a 2009 AVR, driving 7 channels, rated at 100 watts in surround mode by the manufacturer, managed only 5 watts driving 7 channels continuously at 0.1% distortion and 11 watts at 1% distortion, I decided to never buying anything that wasn't tested. [SOURCE: Sound & Vision]

Admittedly, that was a $500 receiver, and I'm pretty sure I could have heard the difference between that receiver and a quality dedicated amp, unless the sound level was set to whisper.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Likewise.

So the big question is THIS: are we asking for overbuilt AV components...

Here's how to know an amp is overbuilt without subjecting it to a battery of instrumented tests and a tear-down...

Own it for a decade or more. Change loudspeakers several times without having to be mindful of impedance. Operate it at all levels (low, medium, high), on all channels, for hours on end without it overheating, clipping, or pulling back the power. If you're still pleased with it after a decade, it might have been over built. If you really wanted to change it out several times along the way, probably not.

I'm not sure about the mass market amplifier sections of typical AVRs improving over time... especially when the indicators suggest otherwise:

1. more electronics manufacturing being done in 3rd world countries;

2. executives in the 1% category having the fastest growth of wages;

3. more audio manufacturers being controlled by private equity firms with little interest in the field

4. the wholesale abandonment of publishing comprehensive (and comprehensible) specifications for audio products

5. the absence of competition on the basis of "quality" in favour of "features"

6. FTC no longer checking and actively enforcing standards of measurement laid down decades ago to protect consumers.

Last edited:

rickhoutx

Oh crap!

valerianf

The problem is not hearing the difference or not between audio equipment.
In the 80' the Japanese brands had lowered the distortion from 0.1 to 0.001 or less and reviews
Of that time clearly described the enhancement
Nowadays young generations are happy with less than perfect mp3 encoded files and it is their choice.

Let us go to the real question as 21 century music is multichannel recorded.
Which end user receiver is able to have a digital pre-amp designed without this low end LSI?
Arcam ?

SMc

Top Bottom