• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Anthem MRX 520 AVR

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:):facepalm:
I'm really hoping that the NAD M17v2 can restore some confidence but I'm not holding my breath ;)
@amirm - Do you think we could schedule a group therapy session? Maybe we should just proactively book it for two weeks from now.

Like Arcam's, I have no doubt the M17 v2 will do much better. Those are different animals.

cshake

Forum Donor
A key takeaway: circuit quality in the direct mode (stereo or 7.1) is almost always invariant to AVR prices in the range of $400 to $2,000. As examples, the $250 Yamaha RX-V367 and Marantz AV8801 ($3000) use the same Renesas LSI chip (R2A15220FP). With the LSI analog chip in these products, the sound of the direct mode is relatively constant

For a data point, I had an Onkyo TX-NR636 for a while until the temperature sensor started acting up (reading below freezing and shutting down due to thermal error, in my living room...), and while troubleshooting and trying to repair it I snagged a copy of the repair manual. Looking at it now, it calls out the R2A15218FP chip. The digital inputs go through the DSP (D830K, no idea what that is) and then through the DAC (PCM1690DCAR) and then into the LSI chip and amp section. Apparently there is a separate 2-ch DAC (PCM1754DBQR) for zone 2 as well coming out of the DSP section too.

I finally gave up on repairing that AVR, it still usually works but I got sick of randomly not being able to watch TV now and then because it was acting up and replaced it with a TX-NR656 that I found in the clearance bin at Best Buy. I haven't found a repair manual for that newer model, but I doubt it's any better in this regard. If anyone wants the 636 to tear down or screw around with, I'm happy to give it way, it's just sitting around unused now because I haven't gotten around to going to an electronics recycling day.

Reactions: SMc

audimus

I think this brings up a good point. What are the barriers to entry for smaller manufacturers to get into AVRs? Is it the software component? Are the licensing costs expensive for Dolby and DTS? We see a billion dacs, dac/amps, integrated amps. But less than ten AVR brands and most of them are now Sound United.

The biggest barrier is the marketing costs needed to get visibility to a big enough audience and get shelf space with big enough retail operations that will actively promote it. This is a crowded and almost commoditized market. All other costs pale in comparison. The fast evolution of interfacing technology also indirectly raise costs reducing useful lifetime of each release (need a new model almost every year). Unless originally funded significantly by founders or a generous benefactor, it is difficult to raise enough funds to create a brand name.

A boutique company with word of mouth advertising is not sustainable unless they do something so unique and disruptive that is way above anything comparable.

Parasound, Arcam, etc all have to keep their prices very high for this reason and so get a niche market.

Tie-ins with companies like Monoprice providing white-labeled products to them would be an easier path but then you lose some freedom and have to rely on the channel to market it right while giving them a healthy share of margins.

Or, it could be a company that comes up with an innovative architecture for the whole home that disrupts the big one-box solution.

PS: Note that even established brands like Cambridge Audio is exiting the AVR market after having tried.

Last edited:

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Man

What’s with the Canadian hifi products lately?

Paradigm pLink is an abortion along with the other products in that product family.

The NAD receiver you just texted blows goats...

And now this thing - I almost bid on one today on eBay!!! Glad I came here first! Guess it’s back to Marantz or pioneer for home theater.

The same thing going on in Canada as elsewhere... many hifi firms are being run/managed through holding companies and ppl who don't give a toss about sound. Combine this with an influx of new underlying technologies and no desire to commit to R&D on how best to incorporate it and you're left with Radio Shack performance.

To be fair though, there is Simaudio (Montreal) and Bryston (Peterborough). Of these I would take Bryston (which is Canada's version of Parasound) hands down but a 60W integrated starts at $2500 (US) and their big mono block power amps are in the $8k range, though everything comes with a 25 year warranty (!) and absolutely no/zero hassles (!!!!!) with regard to repairs.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm - Do you think we could schedule a group therapy session? Maybe we should just proactively book it for two weeks from now.
Now there is a good idea. :)

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Therapy not required. Time will show that most of the folks here are on the right side of audiophile history. It's going to take massive failures of the business model for things to change. Meanwhile, far too many baby boomers and Gen Xers are rewarding bad behaviour by swallowing the biggest lies in the industry and buying whatever crappy stuff is on the shelf.

audimus

Another one bites the dust.

Also must note that Anthem per channel price is higher than the NAD and they don’t have to give Dirac a big chunk. They should be expected to do better for the higher margins or to put it another way, their premium pricing is not justifiable for what they have.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What are the barriers to entry for smaller manufacturers to get into AVRs?
Home theater market is a lot bigger than high-end audio so there was a time that many of these companies got into AV processor market. Then came HDMI. The companies making the chipset for that realized the volume from these companies is tiny yet, support hassle is just as much as a big company. So they refused to work with them and so most of them stopped making such gear. Meridian is an example. Even Harman had to quite with their Lexicon brand.

The only solution left is to buy a subsystem from other companies. That is how Anthem got into receiver business. Problem is, those companies move fast and no longer support their older products. This meant hell for us at the time when my company was selling Anthem products. They could not fix nasty HDMI compatibility issues to the point where we had to buy all the units we had sold and replace them with Marantz. Don't know what they are doing today.

jaykay77

The same thing going on in Canada as elsewhere... many hifi firms are being run/managed through holding companies and ppl who don't give a toss about sound. Combine this with an influx of new underlying technologies and no desire to commit to R&D on how best to incorporate it and you're left with Radio Shack performance.

To be fair though, there is Simaudio (Montreal) and Bryston (Peterborough). Of these I would take Bryston (which is Canada's version of Parasound) hands down but a 60W integrated starts at $2500 (US) and their big mono block power amps are in the $8k range, though everything comes with a 25 year warranty (!) and absolutely no/zero hassles (!!!!!) with regard to repairs.

It’s a shame

I have an NAD T753 from years ago and i use it for a stereo receiver in my garage...the sound is exceptional! The power is killer and the sounds that it puts out of all my speakers is excellent.

They need to get it together and get back to what they’re known for - less technology and incredible sound.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In order to get to "20 bit cinema sound" what does SINAD need to be?

Blake Klondike

Forum Donor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Anthem MRX 520 Home Theater Audio/Video Receiver (AVR). The MRX 520 costs US $1,399 so it is a premium product. The sample I have was kindly sent to me by a member.

The Anthem MRX 520 leaves a decent impression as far as look and feel:

The back panel is the usual assortment, sans analog multichannel input that is rather common in higher end AVRs:

The speaker terminals are a step above the other AVRs I have tested in this price category which I appreciated given my larger banana jacks i use.

You may notice that the cover for one of the Toslink inputs is stuck open. I tried to insert my Toslink into it and it would not seat. So I moved over to the next one and it fit fine. I have to look to see what is going on with its hinged lid.

The Anthem AVRs come with a very fancy room equalization kit which consists of proper measurement mic, stand, etc. This is in sharp contrast to the $2 "puck" style microphones that comes with other AVRs. While I did not test the Anthem Room Correction (ARC) in this unit, another product from the same family performed very well. ARC and Dirac in my opinion are a clear step above homebrew products from AVR manufactures and Audyssey although I have not tested the latest versions of that.

My testing goes to the core of the unit as far as performance. As such, I try to disable all that I can as far as processing. I set the unit to 2 channel, no sub, no surround, etc. On MRX 520, I failed in getting pass-through performance with frequency response still deviating substantially from flat. I assumed that was due to previous configuration using ARC. Unless my eyesight is failing me, I could not find a way to defeat that. So I performed a factory reset and that cleared things up. My apology to its owner which has to now re-run the calibration. :)

The MRX 520 runs fairly warm in use but not concerningly so. The heatsink are the older, more solid and beefy ones. But as is typical, pretty small for a unit with so many channels.

Recent updates to my PC seem to have remedied the problem I had with using HDMI from my PC to drive AVRs. So I performed my testing using that. That makes the results much more representative of how people use these units.

I was pleased to see Anthem as the only AVR maker that I have tested which has some spec other than vague amplifier ratings:

View attachment 33192

Kudos to them to publish this. Without it, how can you ever prove to a manufacturer your unit is not up to spec? Or whether they have any manufacturing or design target?

HDMI DAC Performance
As I have been doing with AVR tests, I like to first see how the front-end of the unit performs as far as input to analog output using pre-outs. Here, I was pleasantly surprised to see the Anthem output some 3.4 volts from its RCA terminals. That is quite good seeing how we like to see a nominal output of 2 volts. So I dialed down the volume control until it read 2 volts and here are the results:

View attachment 33189

Channel 2 performance is good but channel one was dancing around both in FFT and in SINAD (signal over noise and distortion). You can see a snapshot of it in red in FFT. That noise floor would climb up and then jump back down and repeat. This reminded me of a first generation Anthem AVR I tested where every second or two it would do the same thing. Clearly internal system activity is bleeding into one channel here.

Highest distortion products are at -105 dB. Since SINAD is sum of those plus noise and it is arriving at 95 dB or so, it tells us that SINAD is noise limited, not distortion.

The SINAD score as is, lands in the third tier of all DACs tested. In the narrower context of all AVRs I have tested, it is in the upper range of the two buckets:

View attachment 33190

If you go back to the FFT, you see a defect in its output: there is a spike between our main tone at 1 kHz and second harmonic at 2 kHz. I later measured it at 1.6 kHz. Not good since our hearing gets much more sensitive starting around 2 to 3 kHz.

From here on, unless I note it, I am testing at -5 dB since that gives us 2 volt nominal output. And that is how Anthem rates the unit.

Here is how dynamic range shakes out for example at that output level:
View attachment 33191

Channel 1 as noted was dancing back and forth.

My testing is without any kind of weighting so our shortfall relative to -110 dB can partially be explained. The rest may be test protocol differences.

Overall, we are clearing about 17 bits of dynamic range. So our 16 bit content is good, but not our 20 bit cinema sound.

I went to run frequency response test by setting the sample rate to 192 kHz and it was a head scratcher at first:

View attachment 33193

Instead of 96 kHz, we don't seem to have much above 22 kHz or so! Where did the rest of our bandwidth go? Well, we can answer that by stepping from 44.1 kHz sampling all the way up to 192 kHz with white noise (i.e. very wide spectrum) and see what the unit provides:

View attachment 33194

Yup. All sample rates above 44.1 and 48 kHz produce the same bandwidth as these two values! All sample rates above 48 kHz are divided by 2 or 4 to arrive at either 44.1 or 48 kHz. If this were a DAC, we would jump out the window in protest. But seems to be standard affair to secretly resample inputs in these AVRs.

Note also that there is a level error in resampler. The higher it samples down, the lower the level gets! This means you lose your level calibration as I doubt every much that the Room correction system is aware of this level shift. You get the highest level reduction at 176 and 192 kHz.

Best to put aside any aspirations you have for high resolution audio. For movies or music.

Intermodulation distortion versus level presented a puzzle in the larger picture:
View attachment 33195

Just about every AVR I have tested seems to be producing similar levels! Way higher noise than good desktop DACs like the Topping DX3 Pro in dashed line. But every similar to each other. It is as if they all got together in a secret room and decide what was good enough for all of us. "Let's give them 15 dB higher noise -- they can't hear it anyway. You say nothing, and neither will I."

Rant aside, I ran the test at -5 and 0 dB volume control and there is some difference as you would expect with the higher level getting a bit more distorted.

Linearity picture is ugly compared to what we are used to even in budget (read: $99) USB DACs:

View attachment 33196

The one channel really goes crazy as levels go down, producing nothing but random noise. The other one is more well behaved but you don't listen to one channel alone, do you? Here, you are good to 95 dB or 16 bits or so before the fan belt breaks on your engine.

Here is the jitter and noise performance:

View attachment 33197

I also show the Toslink for reference. Compared to that, the HDMI (in red) has wider "skirt" indicating random but low frequency jitter.

Remember I mentioned that unwanted spike below 2 kHz? It is here again. Something is whaling inside at that frequency and bleeding into sensitive analog/DAC output.

We can zoom in on that and see it more clearly:

View attachment 33198

As a way of reference, this is what a state-of-the-art headphone amplifier does:

index.php

No correlated noise. Flat noise floor. You get the picture.

Feeding 32 tones to the MRX 520 presents a pretty ugly picture as far as intermodulation distortion:

View attachment 33199

Now our distortion products leave us about 13.5 bits of dynamic range. With our best DACs, we get 20 bits.

AVR Power Amplifier Measurements
Given the fact that digital inputs provide such narrow bandwidth, I decided to test the power amp with analog input. Anthem nicely has an option to digitize the analog inputs or not. I selected not. That gave me a rather wide bandwidth:
View attachment 33200

Wider than 48 kHz sampling over HDMI anyway.

Here is our dashboard at 5 watt output into 4 ohm:

View attachment 33202

At full volume level of 0dB, we see a pretty high gain of 32 dB. I adjusted the input level accordingly to get our 5 watt output.

We see that noise spike again at 1.6 kHz indicating that it is bleeding into somewhere in the analog chain and is unrelated DAC portion itself. It is fully amplified now and actually exceeds the distortion products themselves! On top of that, our crazy channel is still acting as a variable noise generator. No wonder then that the overall SINAD is not very good. Not good at all:

View attachment 33203

I usually don't worry about crosstalk measurements as they are usually more than good enough. But here, seeing all of this interference, I thought I run it:
View attachment 33204

Gosh, this is pretty poor for an amplifier. Audibly it is probably still OK but you have more bleeding from one channel into another than the distortion it may produce!

Let's see what our power versus distortion at 4 ohm looks like:

View attachment 33205

Once again the "cartel" strikes again with strikingly similar curve to other AVRs tested. Here, even the power level is almost the same as the NAD T758 I recently reviewed.

The very high noise levels relative to our reference Benchmark AHB2 shows that there is little "high-end" here as far as performance. Similar story exists at 8 ohm:

View attachment 33206

Notice the one channel wiggling while the other one is solid. We can see that if we just power on the unit and have it produce 50 watts:

View attachment 33207

It is like there is some boot up activity on its networking subsystem that settles down partially after a while. Good news is that the MRX 520 did not complain and kept going without getting too hot. This is far better than the Pioneer AVRs which pull back their power level at some 35 seconds.

Peak power measurements were puzzling too, showing very little improvement relative to steady state that is used above at 4 ohm:
View attachment 33208

View attachment 33209

Seems like there is some current limiting stopping the 4 ohm configuration to produce more power. Shame as this is a more common speaker impedance than 8 ohm.

Was never a fan of these peak power measurements but seems like they are producing some useful insight here.

I better stop here as I am not sure how much grumpy reporting of measurements you all can take....

Conclusions
The Anthem MRX 520 started fine out of the gate with its DAC SINAD measurements. But seem to show a number of weaknesses after that. FIrst up, what is going on with these secret resamplings? In this day and age we can't have high sample rate playback? And no one wants to tell us that in the manual? Charge me another $100 for the DSP subsystem and do the correction at the native rate for heaven's sake. Or else, stop advertising these products as "high-end."

The noise in one channel of this AVr reminds of similar problem dating back 2014 when I tested the original Anthem MRX series AVR. Shame there is no commitment to engineering excellence to find the sources of interference and nailing it.

All of these AVRs seem to have secretly settled on some middle-of-the-road performance which is likely based on dirt-cheap components they similarly buy. At least that is my guess. It is uncanny how they fall in similar range that way. Sadly such performance is below that of even headphone dongles on phones these days.

I was almost tempted to give the decapitated Pink Panther award to the Anthem but eventually decided to give it the "I don't know what is going on" Pink Panther. Hopefully that measure of goodwill on my part (oh yeah :) ), will implore Anthem to do better. A bit of scrubbing inside the unit could result in a much cleaner audio product.

For now, none of these AVRs are coming close to the performance of even budget desktop products on DACs or even amps. Please excuse me as I go to jump into the bay to drown myself.....

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Given how poor these AVRs have been performing, I am starting to get awfully depressed. Thinking about going to a psychiatrist to get better. They charge $350/hour and I am going to need many hours. So please donate generously using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

I don't have a room that is big enough to justify an AVR, but thanks for this! Are there 2-channel amps in the queue as well? Holding my breath for an affordable knock-out integrated amp.

audimus

On the “cartel” part, it is likely the consequence of competitor benchmarking (to set minimum design goals) than collusion possibly combined with a design brickwall to break through that region in the constraints of the crowded chassis relative to pure DACs without increasing the costs significantly.

It will be interesting to see if this is just the so-called audiophile brands or the comparable mass market ones also fall in the same “potential well”.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't have a room that is big enough to justify an AVR, but thanks for this! Are there 2-channel amps in the queue as well? Holding my breath for an affordable knock-out integrated amp.
There are some....

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For a data point, I had an Onkyo TX-NR636 for a while until the temperature sensor started acting up (reading below freezing and shutting down due to thermal error, in my living room...), and while troubleshooting and trying to repair it I snagged a copy of the repair manual. Looking at it now, it calls out the R2A15218FP chip. The digital inputs go through the DSP (D830K, no idea what that is) and then through the DAC (PCM1690DCAR) and then into the LSI chip and amp section. Apparently there is a separate 2-ch DAC (PCM1754DBQR) for zone 2 as well coming out of the DSP section too.

I finally gave up on repairing that AVR, it still usually works but I got sick of randomly not being able to watch TV now and then because it was acting up and replaced it with a TX-NR656 that I found in the clearance bin at Best Buy. I haven't found a repair manual for that newer model, but I doubt it's any better in this regard. If anyone wants the 636 to tear down or screw around with, I'm happy to give it way, it's just sitting around unused now because I haven't gotten around to going to an electronics recycling day.

So it has the same LSI chip Anthem used. For z2 dac, they all use the cheap one. Even the $5000 av8805 has the cheap and dirty PCM5100 for z2/3. Yamaha uses the better PCM5101.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If we could do software Dolby and DTS decoding in say VLC, we wouldn't need this overpriced under-performing gear. Decode into a digital stream and shoot it to an 8 channel pro interface and onto amps. Great performance for relatively peanuts. An example of why MQA is a bad idea for stereo.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a shame

I have an NAD T753 from years ago and i use it for a stereo receiver in my garage...the sound is exceptional! The power is killer and the sounds that it puts out of all my speakers is excellent.

They need to get it together and get back to what they’re known for - less technology and incredible sound.

It has the same LSI preamp/vol control IC and very average dac chip for sure. It also wouldn't be as powerful as Denon, Marantz, Onkyo's in the same price range. You can see it for yourself if you look at the S&V bench test results. Even the Denon avr-3000 series measured better.

eycatcher

Pretty sure the Yamaha doesnt resample their inputs and doesn't downsample when applying their correction. Be nice if someone sent in an RX-A3080 for testing.

Crane

Forum Donor
I'm now considering the Denon X3600H that just came out to tide me over until something better comes along :facepalm:.

Top Bottom