• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Allo Katana and ApplePi Raspberry Pi DACs

cheungtsw

TBH, I would not spend too much money on a RPI solution probably like usd100 max.

I bought the iodata soundgenic with 2T built in which has better sound quality.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So according to their product page, the new Katana 1.2 will be available in 2 flavors;

1) Pure SINAD figures (-113 dB THD+N 1 KHz A-weighted)
2) Better sound quality (more analog sounding) at the expense of 13 dB lower SINAD (-100 dB THD+N 1 KHz A-weighted)o_O

which contradicts from what I learned on this forum (higher SINAD is always better, right?). Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Last edited:

helloworld

So according to their product page, the new Katana 1.2 will be available in 2 flavors;

2) Better sound quality (more analog sounding) in the expense of 13 dB lower SINAD (-100 dB THD+N 1 KHz A-weighted)o_O

which contradicts from what I learned on this forum (higher SINAD is always better, right?). Can anyone shed some light on this matter?
I am curious too

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Unless sound quality improvements are shown in controlled testing, it is not something that I would go by.

Zilfallion

2) Better sound quality (more analog sounding) at the expense of 13 dB lower SINAD (-100 dB THD+N 1 KHz A-weighted)o_O

Some people like the sound of harmonic distortion. Though -100dB is still fairly low, when you compound it with recorded harmonics, amplifier harmonics and then transducer harmonics, then it might sound just the smallest bit more distorted, which for second harmonic can sometimes give the impression of warmth or fullness, something people often correlate to "analog" sound. Though at -100dB, any change from this are likely to be VERY difficult to hear.

I'd go for the lower distortion one myself.

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@amirm,

When you get the ApplePi Volume-Cloker, please run the following tests on the XLR outputs, of ApplePi DAC:
  • Dynamic Range
  • SNR (A-Weighted)
  • SINAD
  • THD
  • Jitter
  • IMD
  • SW vs. HW volume control
Per my experience all measurements should improve by about 3dB on XLR vs RCA

Thanks;
Leo

Amir should now have everything that he needs to finish testing of the ApplePi DAC with the ApplePi Volume-Clocker. I send him some additional accessories with the GALA DAC this past week.

johan

Audio Company
Katana 1.2 is shipping to everyone that pre ordered . We expect them to have stock very soon.

Grave

You can't buy this as just a DAC correct? That makes the Khadas DAC more appealing to me

johan

Audio Company
Katana is a streamer DAC based on RPI. So you can use the ethernet or wifi and Katana will apear on your netwwork and you can stream direct to it.

Archmage

I was wondering if the Allo Katana, or at least the latest revision with apparent improvements, exhibits the ESS IMD / THD level-dependent hump.

johan

Audio Company
from testing that I have seen , I belive it does not exhibit the "hump"

Veri

Master Contributor
I asked ALLO if they have a plain non-pi DAC in the pipeline with similar distortion profile to the katana,

They said they're working on it :)

Nango

Major Contributor
They also said one year ago were working on a dedicated PSU for Katana, still waiting for that, so don't give to much on what Allo says is working on.

johan

Audio Company
Testing dual LPS 5Vx1.2A and 5Vx3A

We get noise under 500nV at full load

Top Bottom