• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Allo Katana and ApplePi Raspberry Pi DACs

wannarock2

If you have not seen this, it is a review by the author of Volumio.
https://volumio.org/allo-katana-dac-review/

I purchased the latest Katana and am very happy with it. I went with the Pure THD+N stage. Very clean upper mid-range treble with tweeter service as clean as ringing a bell and super tight bass. Looking forward to the Allo LPS with the dual 5V output. Hopefully it will include a true dual regulator setup.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor

I purchased the latest Katana+Isolator and am very happy with it. I went with the Pure THD+N stage. Very clean upper mid-range treble with tweeter service as clean as ringing a bell and super tight bass. Looking forward to the Allo LPS with the dual 5V output. Hopefully it will include a true dual regulator setup.

NAS > Katana + Isolator 1.2 streamer > Pioneer Elite C-91 Pre-Amp > NAD M22-V2 Masters Series Amplifier > B&W 702-S2 speakers
Lovely set-up! I do wish there was more information about how THD/'Sound Quality' versions differ.

audioBliss

I took the chance of buying the Katana + Isolator 1.2 with four power supplies. I was under the impression that it was easy to connect four but I ended up just using two. I run Roon Bridge on it. Btw for anyone who has this make sure to ssh into the unit are run the updater. I got a really old version of DietPi on mine and after reading the change log it seems that there were some good changes lately.

Anyway I'm blown away by this thing -especially when using Roon. Roon is connected to my NAS as well as Tidal. I have a lot of different music in different formats which my previous setup didn't handle properly. Now I get everything in the same Roon interface - super nice! I ended up buying the sound quality board only which apparently has worse THD + N figures but nothing I'm loosing sleep over. It sounds super clean and it has a sense of being under control even at very high volumes. There is now a cleaner separation between elements in the sound stage and they stay stable. Best thing I've bought in a while.

Katana + Isolator 1.2 + Sound Quality Board(Roon bridge) -> Arcam AVR390(Dirac Live) -> speakers crossed over to six sealed subs.

audioBliss

In that case I would like information on how the blue pots are tuned since if this for some reason get's messed up over time I don't want to have to send the unit away to France or something.

johan

Audio Company
Hi Audiobliss , we tune the pots for voltage offset in factory , unless you can measure voltage offset in 1mV you wont be able to do it . Besides , its already done and we have never seen any drift.

johan

Audio Company

I purchased the latest Katana+Isolator and am very happy with it. I went with the Pure THD+N stage. Very clean upper mid-range treble with tweeter service as clean as ringing a bell and super tight bass. Looking forward to the Allo LPS with the dual 5V output. Hopefully it will include a true dual regulator setup.

NAS > Katana + Isolator 1.2 streamer > Pioneer Elite C-91 Pre-Amp > NAD M22-V2 Masters Series Amplifier > B&W 702-S2 speakers

Yes dual output (galvanically isolated outputs)

audioBliss

It would be very interesting to see some measurements of the katana I bought: Katana + isolator 1.2 + sound quality card running at least two power supplies.

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Last edited:

johan

Audio Company
Please note that this is misleading .

Katana streamer is 370$ including one PSU and isolator . Pecan PI streamer is 399$ with the PSU. As you can see in the review , noise was an issue on the Pecan PI ( more likely because of it has no galvanic isolation)

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Please note that this is misleading .

Katana streamer is 370$ including one PSU and isolator . Pecan PI streamer is 399$ with the PSU. As you can see in the review , noise was an issue on the Pecan PI ( more likely because of it has no galvanic isolation)

I was only quoting the price that was given to me by member of that forum.

So the as tested price is $470 = 370 + 100 for the two linear power supplies.

johan

Audio Company
Yes vs pecan pi 399 + taxes = 450 about ?

So 450 vs 470 (but on Katana you do have an extra isolator and you will keep the 2 linear PSUs)

Nowhere near 700 vs 225$ that you have above. I would apreciate if you correct your post

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Yes vs pecan pi 399 + taxes = 450 about ?

So 450 vs 470 (but on Katana you do have an extra isolator and you will keep the 2 linear PSUs)

Nowhere near 700 vs 225$ that you have above. I would apreciate if you correct your post

I fixed it.

It is 470 vs 400 both amounts without taxes.

My intention was not to be misleading I only used the information that was provided to me by the other member of that forum.

Last edited:

Aafnp

What would be better? RPi + Digione Signature + Naim DAC vs. RPi + Katana?
Not sure how the Naim DAC measures, but it at least sounds good.

audioBliss

What would be better? RPi + Digione Signature + Naim DAC vs. RPi + Katana?
Not sure how the Naim DAC measures, but it at least sounds good.

Subjectively only you can say which sounds better to you. But what I can say is that the Katana is an excellent device which can easily holds it's own in a very high end system when you run DietPi with Roon.

johan

Audio Company

m8o

Forum Donor
Soundcheck double blind test results shutout was just announced .

Pecan PI , Katana , Boss , Khadas tone board and more DACs were tested with multiple amplifiers and judged by multiple people .

On Hypex AMP ( 0.0015 THD+N) Katana has placed second
On AB class amplifier (0.03THD+N ), Katana was again judged second

No matter what AMP was used Katana was one of the best.

https://forum.volumio.org/volumio-soundcheck-invitation-for-hamburg-germany-t5918-140.html#p64146

If averaged? :) I see Katana SQ as third but then tied for 1st w/the analog amp. But the lack of clarity & transparency of the data obfuscates it all.

This experiment had so much promise. And I really looked forward to the results. But then undermined by what I struggle to even call a barely summarized list of findings. Let's see the data! ( I know you're not responsible for that. Just speaking generally. )

Several metrics for each device was collected. I see no reason why totals, average, median, and standard deviation, for each category can't be share for each device tested. What I read [again, ahem] 'barely summarized' is disappointing.

Do you know of another thread on another forum where details are shared? Thanx. Li I used the Google machine but located only one other forum that didn't have details either. )

Last edited:

johan

Audio Company
Hi

I agree. I asked on the forums for more clarity.

johan

Audio Company
Digital amp Katana has placed second and analog amp Katana has placed first with Primo DAC

Nowhere in the first 4 places is the Khadas or PencaPI. (and yet they were judged as being good)

I think that at this level differences are minute and it comes down to sound preference .

Top Bottom