• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Allo Katana and ApplePi Raspberry Pi DACs

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
The amazon listing and my website both link to clear install instructions as well as stating that the header and standoffs are not included.
The install instructions can be found here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b6Y6fvdK50TgxC3CAdWk2_2lO_vVovy9/view

Can you please let me know what instrument you are using to perform the measurements? I have verified the 128dB of SNR (A-Weighted) with both an Audio Precision APx515 and ATS-2. Also the 128dB would be for the balanced output, the RCA output will be 125dB.

Here is 24-bit silince A-Weighted (Mini-XLR Ouput 5Vrms is 0dB):
View attachment 14970

Here is SNR A-Weighted
View attachment 14968

Hi

Amir uses an APx555, but you are not comparing the same measurements here.

FOR DIGITAL CONVERTER MEASUREMENTS…
We recommend using this AES17 dynamic range measurement. It is intended specifically for ADC (analog-to-digital converter) and DAC (digital-to-analog converter) dynamic range and “noise in the presence of signal” measurements, as described in Section 9.3 of AES17. A similar method is defined in IEC61606.

This method differs from standard signal-to-noise and dynamic range measurements in that it uses a –60 dBFS stimulus during the noise measurement. This method is used for two reasons:

· In both ADCs and DACs, “idle tones” can be produced within the converter in the absence of applied signal. In the method here, a low-level tone is applied to the converter to avoid production of idle channel noise. The low-level tone is removed by a notch filter before measurement.

· In some DACs, the output of the device is switched off when there is no signal, providing an unrealistically quiet measurement. The low-level tone (again, notched out before measurement) defeats this muting mechanism.

At –60 dBFS, the tone is so low that any distortion products created are below the noise floor.

The 1794 does indeed support zero mute, is it active in your implementation? If so your measurement indicates the noise floor of the analyser.

Zero Detect When the PCM1794 detects that the audio input data in the L-channel and the R-channel is continuously zero for 1024 LRCKs in the PCM mode or that the audio input data is continuously zero for 1024 WDCKs in the external filter mode, the PCM1794 sets ZERO (pin 13) to HIGH.

The data sheet does use the AES17 method and shows this plot

1535110162733.png

Its a 32k FFT so FFT process gain is about 42 dB if I have done the maths right (highly unlikely) :). So that would make Amirs numbers about right.

FFT gain = 10*log(M/2) where M= number of FFT points.

Last edited:

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
Hi

Amir uses an APx555, but you are not comparing the same measurements here.

FOR DIGITAL CONVERTER MEASUREMENTS…
We recommend using this AES17 dynamic range measurement. It is intended specifically for ADC (analog-to-digital converter) and DAC (digital-to-analog converter) dynamic range and “noise in the presence of signal” measurements, as described in Section 9.3 of AES17. A similar method is defined in IEC61606.

This method differs from standard signal-to-noise and dynamic range measurements in that it uses a –60 dBFS stimulus during the noise measurement. This method is used for two reasons:

· In both ADCs and DACs, “idle tones” can be produced within the converter in the absence of applied signal. In the method here, a low-level tone is applied to the converter to avoid production of idle channel noise. The low-level tone is removed by a notch filter before measurement.

· In some DACs, the output of the device is switched off when there is no signal, providing an unrealistically quiet measurement. The low-level tone (again, notched out before measurement) defeats this muting mechanism.

At –60 dBFS, the tone is so low that any distortion products created are below the noise floor.

The 1794 does indeed support zero mute, is it active in your implementation? If so your measurement indicates the noise floor of the analyser.

Zero Detect When the PCM1794 detects that the audio input data in the L-channel and the R-channel is continuously zero for 1024 LRCKs in the PCM mode or that the audio input data is continuously zero for 1024 WDCKs in the external filter mode, the PCM1794 sets ZERO (pin 13) to HIGH.

The data sheet does use the AES17 method and shows this plot

View attachment 14972

Its a 32k FFT so FFT process gain is about 42 dB if I have done the maths right (highly unlikely) :). So that would make Amirs numbers about right.

FFT gain = 10*log(M/2) where M= number of FFT points.

I agree, the measurements that I did and the measurements from this review are not the same measurements.

I do however stand by my 128dB SNR measurement. This was performed on the balanced output with a 5Vrms (0dBFS) reference, with A-Weighting.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I agree, the measurements that I did and the measurements from this review are not the same measurements.

I do however stand by my 128dB SNR measurement. This was performed on the balanced output with a 5Vrms (0dBFS) reference, with A-Weighting.

All measurements need to be qualified with information about the method otherwise you may not be comparing apples with apples.

BTW Is the mute active?

orchardaudio

Audio Company
If so your measurement indicates the noise floor of the analyser

The noise floor of the analyzer is much better than 128dB. With the input shorted the noise measured was 870nV, that is equivalent to 20*log(0.000000870/5) = 135.2dB.

With the ApplePi DAC the noise measured was 2uV this equates to 128dB.

If you subtract the noise from the analyzer, the actual SNR is even better.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
About 6dB, much better? But yes you are right, even if the mute is active the I to V / D to SE op amps will still be operational creating some noise.

Have you established if the mute operates in your design?

I'm not sure what you mean by subtract that analyser noise. The dac noise exceeds it.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great performing dac, just establishing the conditions.

Last edited:

orchardaudio

Audio Company
I'm not sure what you mean by subtract that analyser noise
When the analyzer measures noise it measures it's own noise with the noise of the device. It's own noise is 870nV. The noise measured with the DAC is 2uV. Since noise is not fully additive you have to use RSS method.

If you subtract the 870nV from 2uV using RSS method you get 1.8uV or 129dB.

Have you established if the mute operates in your design?
Mute is implemented.

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
So the analyser noise isn't really a significant issue, which was really my point.

So with mute implemented the measurement isn't really valid. Try applying a very low signal level, maybe - 138dB 1kHz to keep the mute off and see what the noise floor/DR is like.

orchardaudio

Audio Company
So the analyser noise isn't really a significant issue, which was really my point.

So with mute implemented the measurement isn't really valid. Try applying a very low signal level, maybe - 138dB 1kHz to keep the mute off and see what the noise floor/DR is like.

I no longer have access to an analyzer but you can see the change in noise from these two images below:

Silince
19154.jpeg

-60dBFS signal
FFT_-60dBFS.jpg.bd821e68e18019bea9fafbb3b912b9a6.jpg

Between these two you can see the noise floor only slightly goes up, hence the mute function has very little effect.

Last edited:

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
I no longer have access to an analyzer but you can see the change in noise from these two images below:

Silince
View attachment 14975

-60dBFS signal
View attachment 14976

Between these two you can see the noise floor only slightly goes up, hence the mute function has very little effect.

Thanks for posting these plots. That's a good result. What is the Fft resolution?

It looks like it ties up with the datasheet which means Amir's measurements are about right; about 42 dB Fft process gain assuming a 32k fft

Last edited:

orchardaudio

Audio Company
@BE718
It looks like it ties up with the datasheet which means Amir's measurements are about right; about 42 dB Fft process gain assuming a 32k fft
I believe that it is 32k but I don't remember as that was done quite some time ago, it would not have been less than 32k.

I did find another plot with -90dBFS input:
24Bit_-90dBFS.thumb.JPG.a32b19e6a05376843e817ff33f72d0cf.JPG

derp1n

derp1n

orchardaudio

Audio Company
Why not just make the DAC have lower jitter instead of upselling extra parts?

The ApplePi DAC is hat compliant, that means it has to be that size. It is not possible to add the reclocking and HW volume control to the board and keep it the same size.

Top Bottom