• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Allo Katana and ApplePi Raspberry Pi DACs

Music1969

Major Contributor
Hi @johan

Can Katana play DSD256?

If not, does Allo have an ethernet input DAC coming which can support DSD256?

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi @johan

Can Katana play DSD256?

If not, does Allo have an ethernet input DAC coming which can support DSD256?

Sadly, no and no. Katana is limited to DSD64. Also, it looks like Katana is no longer available. BOSS V1.2 Player is their top streamer at the moment.

thetrystero

I was thinking of adding a pi streamer to my stack (currently smsl su-8 vs and nc252mp amp) but realized that I was a bit naive in assuming it would not affect the sinad. My sources are flac over ethernet, spotify over WiFi and tv over toslink (which I suppose will go directly in to the optical of the su8) how will adding an rpi4 to my chain for the WiFi and ethernet sources affect the SINAD of my stack. I've worked so hard to get the best possible sinad at my price point even going for balanced it would be a shame if the rpi becomes the weakest link in the chain. What are my other options for streaming over Ethernet and wifi that will be the cleanest possible?

Dana reed

Assuming your pi doesn’t add untold amounts of jitter, your DAC should still limit what you can get for measured performance.
the allo digione has worked well for me outputting spdif over coax (rca or BNC)

that said, I’m not measuring myself, not having an audio analyzer. Not likely to spring for an AP anytime ever, but might get a quantasylum qa401 or 402 at some point depending on availability.
Certainly no audible (to me) differences between different sources feeding spdif to any dacs I have

thetrystero

Assuming your pi doesn’t add untold amounts of jitter, your DAC should still limit what you can get for measured performance.
the allo digione has worked well for me outputting spdif over coax (rca or BNC)

that said, I’m not measuring myself, not having an audio analyzer. Not likely to spring for an AP anytime ever, but might get a quantasylum qa401 or 402 at some point depending on availability.
Certainly no audible (to me) differences between different sources feeding spdif to any dacs I have
i will go with rpi4 without a transport. allo replied to my email saying there's no difference in SINAD.

Dana reed

i will go with rpi4 without a transport. allo replied to my email saying there's no difference in SINAD.
I wanted the hat for mine, so my DAC USB input would be free for connection to a PC or direct to a phone, depending on what I'm listening to at the time. would be nice if DACs had multiple USB inputs available.

Top Bottom