• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Allo DigiOne RPI S/PDIF

Smithore

Hey Johan I've nothing to sell. I personnally use Roon with dual pc as source.

I was using digione home and i have 2 friends with digione (I'm not talking about signature here) and I compared with them Digione/DP3
In both system DP3 sounded better to our ears (4 different people).
one is:
etalon isolator RJ45---Audioquest Vodka rj45--- Digione or DP3---coax thot cable--- AudioGD Dac 19---AudioGD master10---PEL Alycastre S2 speakers

So I'm curious about DP3 measurements since Digione as also extremely good measures.
Maybe there is not only jitter to consider??? I don't know

Hello from France,
I've actually a Digione Signature and a Smsl dp3 at home, I barely hear no difference between direct usb kernel amanero and the digione signature (rj45) plugged on an Audio GD 19 NOS. With the DP3, it's just another world, the soundstage is wider, yes, but also the voices, instrument attacks, ending are more natural and musical, it's very strange a so huge difference.
Im also very disappointed about the no-gap between my pc or macbook usb output and the Digione Signature, i've tried with linear ac and different phones ac, no difference to my ears.
The Signature is really good in functionality as a network streamer where the dp3 has a glitched firmware, but the sounds are just totally different.
Yes it could be really great to proceed some measurements on a dp3 unit and try to understand what is rendering a so huge difference.
Cheers

johan

Audio Company
Hello Smitshore

AudioGD 19 has a very poor/low THD+N , but its reported to sound good.

I think there is no advantage on using a Digione Signature on this particular DAC , since it wont improve anything .

Smithore

Ok, i understand, im waiting now for a RME adi dac
i just not understand why the dp3 improve so much the sound and what is making the difference between the 2 streamers.

johan

Audio Company
Its simple really , even order harmonic distortion is perceived as being pleasant to the ears , has been described as "opening the stage"

veeceem

With RPI4 now has separated USB/LAN ports. Is this thing or Usbridge still a thing to consider? As a Volumio streamer?
I can buy x6 of RPI4 finished-packs with the money spent on a Usbridge Sig and its Shanti PSU o_O

D

Deleted member 13130

I want to order the Digi Allo Signature with the USB & SDIF outputs. I want to stream SPOTIFY & use ROON (w/ Tidal). I have paid subscriptions to all (lifetime with Roon). How should I configure the Digi Allo Signature on their website?

My current set up is PC/EVGA Z390 mobo/PC > Border Patrol DAC (USB/SPDIF inputs) > LTA preamp > Schiit Aegir

Note: I’ve ripped CDs to itunes for playback; Would a networked Allo ‘see’ the PC library versions if I use ROON? Ex. Similar to how it does on my PC as a source. I would think ‘yes’ but want confirmation as a potential newbie to using an ALLO device.

johan

Audio Company
Hi

it all depends on OS not hardware. Still all OS (Moode , Volumio , PcP) will allow you to see the streamer as a ROON endpoint and you will be able to send your digital. Same for other files on your network

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Dietpi with raspotify and roonbridge will do what you are after

johan

Audio Company
With RPI4 now has separated USB/LAN ports. Is this thing or Usbridge still a thing to consider? As a Volumio streamer?
I can buy x6 of RPI4 finished-packs with the money spent on a Usbridge Sig and its Shanti PSU o_O

This is a hard question for me to answer.

This being audiosciencereview, I will start with the science . THD+N numbe rof a DAC thats feed by RPI vs USBridge will have a very small change (if any). You will see changes (rather small) in harmonic components ..

The above might explain why people say there is a change in sound. Now you can also think its psychological only.

My personal opinion (I am biased) is that we dont know everything , yet, about sound perception . There seem to be more than THD+N number in how we perceive sound. For 2 DACs with the exact same THD+N , one might sounds better because of the distribution of higher harmonics. (geed theory)

D

Deleted member 13130

Hi

it all depends on OS not hardware. Still all OS (Moode , Volumio , PcP) will allow you to see the streamer as a ROON endpoint and you will be able to send your digital. Same for other files on your network
I’ve configured as follows. Seems you have to choose OS on an SD card(?). Or I’m confused about the add on selections.

Note: Can I use RoPieeeXL on an SD card and be good?

E6BBB241-F393-414E-AC50-8908F072B30E.jpeg6D5790B1-6EC1-4A04-A9D7-5EFD12916A89.jpeg04E77612-F765-4162-B9DC-9F585FB8467B.jpegCF8F4ADA-232C-4A97-A409-2431124FA268.jpegF9E41281-7AC6-4D59-B574-19DDD520AB6A.jpeg

johan

Audio Company
yes you need to chose a OS (player) on the SD card. You can flash any OS at any time (to try different players)

Ropiee is very good easiest is Moode and Volumio

dkinric

I have an Allo DigiOne as a Roon endpoint feeding my DX7PRO via dig coax. I use it for Tidal and Qobuz. Started with Volumio, but ended up switching to DietPi, can't recall why. To change, downloaded DietPi with Allo software from DietPi website to an SD card. Connected the HDMI out of Allo to my tv and stuck an old keyboard onto the USB socket so I was able to type the commands in to run the software change. Worked like a charm. Can confirm DietPi works great as a Roon endpoint.

I've had the Allo DigiOne for about a year now and it has worked flawlessly. I have unplugged it several times just to rewire/relocate and it always booted right back up.
Highly recommended.

D

Deleted member 13130

Ok. Thanks for the feedback on OS selection options. I’ll jump back on here if I run into any problems after purchase.

johan

Audio Company
You will get much better help from forums dedicated to Moode/Volumio etc..

dkinric

My current set up is PC/EVGA Z390 mobo/PC > Border Patrol DAC (USB/SPDIF inputs) > LTA preamp > Schiit Aegir
That's an interesting setup, quite a bit of $$ in your upstream components, especially to feed a Schiit amp. What speakers do you use?

D

Deleted member 13130

It was recommended as a ‘terrific’ pairing, with high efficiency speaker set ups, by Louis...over at Omega Speakers. So...downstream from my pre-amp...Aegir > Omega Super 3 High Output speakers (desk top set up).

Alternatively I can push 1 watt, from the amp option, from the LTA MZ3 preamp (equipped with speaker binding output posts). I’m surprised at what it offers as-is (remarkably intimate near field).

My selection of the Aegir revolves around the fact that it offers just the right amount of power for my HE speaker set up. Albeit...it’s not for everyone; quality watts over quantity is what I’m chasing as of late. Most typically run SET amps with Omegas (Decware tube amps & such). I wanted a solid state solution downstream of my preamp given my component selection upstream. A boost without traveling further into the tube domain.

I had some reservations about buying the Schiit as I’m not familiar with their brand nor have I owned a Schiit. I have since learned their market approach is affordable gear without huge compromises or hits to overall sound or build quality (cheap Schiit). I’m all in (when it’s executed in this manner).

Last edited by a moderator:

Modellbobby

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Allo DigiOne Raspberry Pi digital audio (S/PDIF) interface. It retails for USD $99 and is on kind loan from Allo. Unlike its higher-end brother (DigiOne Signature), this is a single board implementation at half the price.

When combined with a Raspberry Pi, and a suitable "audio operating system" (e.g. Volumio used in this review), you have a $135 networked S/PDIF interface. Hook the output of this board to your favorite DAC and you automatically add networking to it, allowing you to place the computer server elsewhere and stream content to your audio system.

Testing digital audio outputs is quite different than our typical analog measurements. Here, we are interested in how pure the digital output is as to produce good performance out of any DAC regardless of how good its S/PDIF interface is. I took a shot at this when testing the Allo Digione Signature but I was not too happy with them as the results were rather hard to interpret. Here, I have taken a different shot at it, hopefully making it easier to understand. So let's get into it.

Measurements
Given the success of my analog measurements using a "dashboard" view, I created a similar performance dashboard. The stimulus signal is "j-test." The J-test is a square wave at 1/4 of sampling rate (12 kHz here since our sample rate is 48 kHz). In addition, the low order bit is toggled + and - one causing all the bits to flip at once (e.g. 9999 to 10000 and back). The toggling of all the bits is designed to aggravate/accentuate jitter over S/PDIF cable. Ideally, we would see no trace of it if the system is resilient to what content is being transmitted. In other words, the S/PDIF signal needs to be independent of the audio being played to perform its role as an ideal "digital transport."

To have a reference, I tested my Audio Precision APx555 in its loopback mode with its unbalanced (S/PDIF) digital interface:
View attachment 18086

Focusing on top right (FFT), we see the spectrum of noise and spurious tones going as far as 300+ kHz. We see a noise spectrum starting at 10 picoseconds at low frequencies and dropping. We have a few spikes above 30 kHz but their amplitude is exceptionally low at just 6 picoseconds.

The time domain (oscilloscope) view on the left reflects the same with the waveform seemingly being random with no distinct patterns (good).

RMS level of jitter is 73 picoseconds. Peak is highly variable and falls in 200 pico seconds or so.

A cool but odd feature of APx555 is to treat the digital stream as "audio" and perform classical measurements on it. Here, I am having it output THD+N equivalent in the form of SINAD in dB. As in analog audio, the higher, the better. Yes, 16 dB is not a lot but we are talking about digital sample recovery so it is fine.

Next, to get really calibrated, I thought I test the Topping D10 as a S/PDIF interface bridge from USB:
View attachment 18087

Starting with FFT on top right, we immediately see the 250 Hz square wave in J-test becoming visible as jitter. 250 Hz is a square wave so when decomposed into frequencies, we see it and all of its odd haromonics (250, 750, 1250, etc). So we clearly have data dependency in the S/PDIF output of the Topping D10.

We see the same in scope display on the left where the sine wave pattern of the 250 Hz harmonics are clearly visible. The waveform does not look random as it did with APx555 output. RMS jitter has risen to 126 picoseconds and peak is nearly double at 400 ps. Jitter SINAD as dropped to 11 dB.

Now let's see how Digione does:

View attachment 18088

We get an output that is darn near APx555. No sign of the 250 Hz harmonics as we saw in Topping D10. RMS jitter is 72 ps. SINAD is a dB or so lower at 14 (this value jumps around fair bit).

Scope display on top left shows a much more random sequence again which is good.

And here is the same measurements for Allo Digione Signature:
View attachment 18089

This is a tiny bit better. We are hitting the best case performance of Audio Precision APx555 here so not much more room to move. I lost those results but a higher resolution FFT showed the signature to have lower noise than non-signature DigiOne.

Conclusions
Allo is one of the few audio companies that has excellent engineering skills and importantly, verifies its designs using measurements. So it is no wonder that even the non-signature DigiOne produces such textbook performance (i.e. essential match to Audio Precision APx555). At $99 it is a bargain way to get networked S/PDIF functionality.

Given the willingness of Allo to participate in online audio communities, I can't find any faults with the company or the product.

Needless to say, I highly recommend the Allo DigiOne to build a networked digital audio interface for streaming applications.

-----
If you like this review, please consider donating funds using Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/audiosciencereview), or upgrading your membership here though Paypal (https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...eview-and-measurements.2164/page-3#post-59054).

Modellbobby

Anybody recommend a good LPS or SPMS for the Digione (non signature) @amirm Which Powersupply did you use for the Digione test?

Modellbobby

Shanti i know but more reasonable for Digione Signature as it has two outputs. There must a cheaper alternative no? 5V 3A clean power

Top Bottom