• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Allo DigiOne RPI S/PDIF

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why would the Digione make a difference there? MQA is directly encoded into the PCM stream at 44.1/48KHz, so as long as the Digione supports those frequencies I don't see how it would prevent MQA from being passed to the DAC.

I do know most DACs don't support full MQA decoding via the Toslink and S/PDIF interfaces though, as they only do the final rendering there. So you will need a MQA software decoder to unfold the first layers. Perhaps that's why Roon is interfering?
Well, I did some research. Most DACs which a MQA compatible do so with USB but don't pass MQA over Toslink if this poster is accurate. But he also says the DAC that I have (Gustard X16) does the second unfold over Toslink. So maybe I don't get a purple star on Roon, but it works with a little computation Roon both ends.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Old thread, I know but quick question:

If I get the Allo DigiOne Player with Volumio OS, will it support up to 24/192kHz playback of Qobuz using the BubbleUPnP app?

mrreform

Does anyone know if the Allo Digione Signature Player can connect via wifi? The documentation is not very helpful. Thanks.

jsm

I share my experience with Allo, I buy this in 2nd hand but it was faulty (not refundable), I ask the Allo customer service, they give me contact with a technical service and I spend time with a lot of measurements and one unsoldering, it take 1 month and half to finally have a solution: a 20% discount, because it's not possible to send it to India for a repair. I let you judge ;).

Last edited:

jsm

For a broken one, any price is too much -_-, 50€.
Announcement said "not always working, I stop to try to play with it, I prefer to pass and sell it for someone who know better how to deal with it", so I though at that time it is was more a software trouble, maybe someone not very code/ARM/ friendly, or just someone who didn't speak EN at all (there is"some" in France XD). I'm not a pro but I already played with SSH on Rpi zero, odroid N2 (with Coreelec and batocera) and I always get it works as I expected :).
I never imagined an hardware trouble, as it is a "simple HAT" with no "sensitive" components, voltage and current are low with Rpi GPIO so, even he inverted the GPIO plug -I'm curious to know if it is deadly for the HAT or not.- which seems unlikely. And more, I never imagine a faulty HAT at that Allo pricey level.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Sounds reasonable.

Since you bought second hand they owe you nothing right?
That's what I was thinking. I've owned the Digione Player and now have a Boss 2 Player, and I have had no problems with either, once I got them set up. I know Allo got hit pretty hard with Covid, but they always seemed like a responsible company.

rost21A

On the photos at Allo you can see that the boards of the "DigiOne" and the "DigiOne Player" are not identical.
Are the photos correct and what is the difference?

rust21A

Kelims

If I get the Allo DigiOne Player with Volumio OS, will it support up to 24/192kHz playback of Qobuz using the BubbleUPnP app?
24bit/192kHz can only do aes/ebu xlr so not RCA and BNC can only do 24bit/96kHz

seyl3r

Forum Donor
Can anyone explain one more time what benefit I get with a S/PDIF module like this compared to something much cheaper like a HifiBerry Digi+ or an Audiophonics Digipi+? I get that there is less jitter and the DAC gets a cleaner digital signal, but will it have an effect on sound or only on stability on the DAC side?

seyl3r

Forum Donor
Can anyone explain one more time what benefit I get with a S/PDIF module like this compared to something much cheaper like a HifiBerry Digi+ or an Audiophonics Digipi+? I get that there is less jitter and the DAC gets a cleaner digital signal, but will it have an effect on sound or only on stability on the DAC side?
I asked my question with more explanation on my case here again, since I think the reach of it is quite low in here - just follow the link if you are interested in this issue

mareclodaniel

Full disclosure to those who do not know, I am the designer and manufacturer of the 502DAC that Amir was kind enough to test previously. Thanks!

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor

Did you buy the Allo? I also have a similar question. I know I can stream with Roon but what about QOBUZ, Tidal, JRiver, etc? How do I stream to Allo?

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Digione Player using Max2PLay or Picore and Squeezelite and LMS will stream Qobuz and Tidal with plugins. Check the Squeezebox Forum.

Thunder240

24bit/192kHz can only do aes/ebu xlr so not RCA and BNC can only do 24bit/96kHz

@Buckeye Amps this is my setup exactly.

I use Mac Mini running BubbleUPnP Server exposing OpenHome endpoint configured for Qobuz connection, 192/24 gapless playback.

I have an RPi with Allo DigiOne Sig board (running MoOde, formerly Volumio). It is connected to a DAC over SPIDF (RCA connector), and the DAC sees 192/24 when I am playing Qobuz content at that resolution. I use Linn Kazoo iOS app as my OpenHome control point and am really happy with this setup.

Mac Mini, RPi, and iDevice are all on my home network. Note that I have WiFi disabled on MoOde, use Ethernet instead. (I think WiFi is responsible for some latency on the RPi.)

@Kelims that is bad info, definitely not true that SPIDF/RCA is incapable of 192/24.

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
@Buckeye Amps this is my setup exactly.

I use Mac Mini running BubbleUPnP Server exposing OpenHome endpoint configured for Qobuz connection, 192/24 gapless playback.

I have an RPi with Allo DigiOne Sig board (running MoOde, formerly Volumio). It is connected to a DAC over SPIDF (RCA connector), and the DAC sees 192/24 when I am playing Qobuz content at that resolution. I use Linn Kazoo iOS app as my OpenHome control point and am really happy with this setup.

Mac Mini, RPi, and iDevice are all on my home network. Note that I have WiFi disabled on MoOde, use Ethernet instead. (I think WiFi is responsible for some latency on the RPi.)

@Kelims that is bad info, definitely not true that SPIDF/RCA is incapable of 192/24.

Also, if you have an Allo Digione and Ropieee you can hook up both USB and SPIDF to the same DAC and you can switch back and forth if you want if your DAC allows source switching.

I have my DLNA sources routed to USB and Roon to the DigiOne. When I play hi res DSD to the DAC via the DigiOne, Roon will downgrade it to PCM. If I play 192/24 from QOBUZ it shows at my DAC at just that (see pic)

But, so far, I haven't been able to send Tidal MQA to the DAC through the DigiOne. MQA shows up as PCM (however, Roon shows purple). If I send MQA through USB, however, my DAC shows MQA and unfolds it. Similarly, I can send DSD via USB but not on the DigiOne. I'm guessing my DAC only works with MQA through USB

After watching this primer on hi res audio, however, it doesn't seem to matter. 192/24 can actually be slightly worse than lower sampling rates (48/24)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 6.39.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-08 at 6.39.21 AM.png
    89.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Top Bottom