• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi, i got one of these used a few days ago and i noticed it runs quite hot. A bit more than warm to touch i would say.
Is this normal?
It seems to me that this device is made to be on 24/7. What do you guys do? Can it be left on confidently?
Thanks for sharing your experiences.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi, i got one of these used a few days ago and i noticed it runs quite hot. A bit more than warm to touch i would say.
Is this normal?
It seems to me that this device is made to be on 24/7. What do you guys do? Can it be left on confidently?
I had mine on 24/7 for 2 years.
Was a bit warm but not much as other devices.

Reactions: MCH

diablo

Forum Donor
Is this normal?
My first one was on continuously for about three years. They do get rather warm but don't seem to suffer.
Though with energy prices rising I now turn all my stuff off when not in use. Use wifi mains plugs which are easy to switch off.

MCH

Major Contributor
My first one was on continuously for about three years. They do get rather warm but don't seem to suffer.
Though with energy prices rising I now turn all my stuff off when not in use. Use wifi mains plugs which are easy to switch off.
Yeah, fair comment, will look at that as well. It is only 2.5W but could connect it together with a few more devices to a smart plug. Too bad it doesn't have some sort of auto stand by...

diablo

Forum Donor
Yeah, fair comment, will look at that as well. It is only 2.5W but could connect it together with a few more devices to a smart plug. Too bad it doesn't have some sort of auto stand by...
Mine seems to use 3.5. :D My MiniDSP devices are on the same extension block as subs and power amps etc. so they all get turned off at once.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

So to the people who have used this in setting like Source -> minidsp 2x4 HD -> 2.1

Has anybody actually noticed the noise, etc?

Lawhaus

So to the people who have used this in setting like Source -> minidsp 2x4 HD -> 2.1

Has anybody actually noticed the noise, etc?
I use it like this. With the DRC (Dirac) upgrade, hypex amp and active sub.

The sound quality is satisfying. But the volume control/remote is terrible. I keep thinking I need a Minidsp SHD.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

I use it like this. With the DRC (Dirac) upgrade, hypex amp and active sub.

The sound quality is satisfying. But the volume control/remote is terrible. I keep thinking I need a Minidsp SHD.
Hmmm satisfying? Do you use the optical or USB inputs or the analog inputs? If so, how satisfying does it sound compared to say a macbook ---> Topping DAC (E30/D10S/etc) --> Amp??

I'm considering the DDRC-24 package (mic, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, DIRAC live).. but i've heard that the sound can be 'muddy'..

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Terrible because it does not have a display? Or something else?

Michael
My main concern is that the minidsp 2x4 HD would degrade my music via the USB/TOSLINK input, let alone analog - sucks because this there's a really great value option where you get the DSP, UMIK-1, AND DIRAC live subscription for a fair enough price... the thing is, if it's going to sound crappy due to an inferior DAC, it's bloody pointless.

NewbieAudiophileExpert

Yes it's noticeable.
That's a bummer - it's a good thing that minidsp sells products (which i can't afford) that don't have this problem, but cost twice or thrice as much the 2x4 HD...

holbob

I have no hiss or noise with my minidsp 2x4 HD. Ear to tweeter. Output to powered sub and hypex amp.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
I have no hiss or noise with my minidsp 2x4 HD. Ear to tweeter. Output to powered sub and hypex amp.

Depends on the use case.

The 2x4 HD when paired with any of my active monitors and subwoofer does not add more "audible" noise or hiss than what the amps in the speakers spit out by default.

Lawhaus

Terrible because it does not have a display? Or something else?

Michael

Mostly because the button feel on the remote. I really have to press down hard, hold, and sniper aim at the device, otherwise nothing happends. Combine that with no feedback from a display…. Results in a bad experience. Luckily the sound quality improvement of dirac makes up for it.

Lawhaus

Hmmm satisfying? Do you use the optical or USB inputs or the analog inputs? If so, how satisfying does it sound compared to say a macbook ---> Topping DAC (E30/D10S/etc) --> Amp??

I'm considering the DDRC-24 package (mic, MiniDSP 2x4 HD, DIRAC live).. but i've heard that the sound can be 'muddy'..
Tbh I couldnt really hear a differce with a well respected dedicated balanced dac (smsl su8 v2). While nothing was wrong with the smsl, having dirac and being able to time align your sub outweighs a relative increase in noise/distortion.

Top Bottom