• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements and miniDSP 2x4 HD DSP and DAC

D

Deleted member 2944

Do you have any data showing that that "low performance" is audible? The unit is very cost-effective for what it does.
I thought the sarcasm in my post was obvious. Sorry about that.
It is very cost effective and I do recommend it.

Dave.

flaviowolff

I thought the sarcasm in my post was obvious. Sorry about that.
It is very cost effective and I do recommend it.

Dave.

Oh, ok.
It's been an awesome cheap solution for me. I'm happily using the DDRC-24 (2x4 hd with dirac) as a dac/preamp with DSP.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I received my miniDsp 2x4hd today. It looks like I have to pay $10 more to download the "plugin" to configure it. WTF is this?

I just read some earlier posts and this confirmed. This is so stupid. Why not just include the cost in original price or at least warn me about it.

I didn't receive any coupon code.

EDIT: Nevermind. If I login to the website, there is a download section under my account. Hope this plugin actually works.

EDIT2: Why on earth does it need Adobe AIR?! This is a specific download for Windows.

D

Deleted member 2944

I received my miniDsp 2x4hd today. It looks like I have to pay $10 more to download the "plugin" to configure it. WTF is this?

I just read some earlier posts and this confirmed. This is so stupid. Why not just include the cost in original price or at least warn me about it.

I didn't receive any coupon code.

EDIT: Nevermind. If I login to the website, there is a download section under my account. Hope this plugin actually works.

EDIT2: Why on earth does it need Adobe AIR?! This is a specific download for Windows.
Quit whining and just install the software and start using the device.
It's a nice gadget.

Dave.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
stunta, listen carefully - do your hear any added hiss or other noise or distortion?

With sw running you can monitor input signal strength - be careful of overdrive and don't use much boost in eq!

jmilesfox

Just got around to using the DDRC-24 (miniDSP HD 2x4), and wow this thing is exceeding expectations. This is being used in a near-field setting with two AA Sierra 2 EX speakers with a SMSL DA-8s amp (as an aside, reviews for both would be great). I also purchased the UMIK-1 for measurements. The Dirac is creating a night and day difference from a subjective and objective point of view (confirmed measurements in REW). I am not claiming the DAC is superior in any kind of way, but the room correction really makes a difference. I have really been enjoying adjusting the EQ in Dirac Live, to suit my preferences.

I say all this with the full knowledge that it is not state of the art from a DAC perspective. I have had a RME ADI-2 fs, Element II, D50, DX7s, and a few others for comparison (yes, I know I have a problem). I just feel the Dirac component in particular outweighs the downside of the inferior DAC. I am just here to say it is worth trying out if you are on the fence. Worst case scenario, you can always sell it.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are there easy to use DSP (equalization) DACs with xlnt. measurements?

MiniDSP SHD, per ASR review. From my experience miniDSP 10x10HD is a little quieter than DDRC-24D, if you can use balanced I/O.

I don't think so. From product page:

I can confirm that 2x4HD/DDRC-24D accept audio input from a Mac over USB. Earlier models do not. Nor, I believe, does the original miniDSP Dirac series, DDRC-22D/A/DA.

DonTheDuck

the miniDSP absolutely degraded the sound of the mids in my system

I know this an old post.

I have to agree with this observation.
The miniDSP DDRC-24 did degrade the mids in my system, with a bit of a twist.

Setup: Streamer = Cambridge Audio CXN v2 -> miniDSP DDRC-24 -> powered Edifier S3000Pro speakers

The bass problems in my room cancel out the mids quite a bit.
So I tamed the bass with the miniDSP DDRC-24. It works great.
And now I can actually hear the mids like I never had before.
BUT, the DAC in the miniDSP makes it all sound muddy.
The Cambridge Audio Streamer has an excellent upsampling system on the input and excellent Dual Wolfson WN8740 24-bit DAC chips.
The output of the Cambridge Audio Streamer without the miniDSP is crisp and clear.
So for now I have to set aside the miniDSP until I can figure out what to do with its muddy sound.
(Sorry about the subject description of the sound. I know this is a science forum. I'm all for that.)
Any ideas on resolving the poor DAC quality in the miniDSP DDRC-24?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this an old post.

I have to agree with this observation.
The miniDSP DDRC-24 did degrade the mids in my system, with a bit of a twist.

BUT, the DAC in the miniDSP makes it all sound muddy.

I don't see Amir's measurements reflect these observations. What is happening, you think?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You don't see muddy and or compressed sound in the measurements.
Same story withe awful output of the Behringer U-Phoria.

milosz

Forum Donor
This thing is only $227 or so, including shipping to the US. For that price you get a fairly good DAC and some pretty powerful, easy to use DSP. You can't beat the capability-to-price ratio here.

If you want that DSP and better DAC performance, MiniDSP sells a DSP with digital outputs, so you could add- say two Topping E30's- and for the additional $ you could quell any audiophila nervosa that might result from you thinking you might hear artifact from this unit. (I would like to see a well-conducted blind listening test to see if one can hear the difference between this unit used as a DAC and a DAC with better measured performance. I really wonder if you could hear the difference on music. Maybe if you used pure tones you could hear some trouble, but I bet on music you just can't hear this stuff. Just my oinion.)

You can do things like generate biquads (eq coefficients) in OmniMic or REW and apply them directly to the EQ filters- in addition to up to 48 dB per octave crossover. Using OmniMic you can mathematically optimize your EQ filters for the woofer and the tweeter separately, which gets you quite close to flat response after you apply the filters. (Of course this just flattens amplitude errors - if the driver rings or has other stored energy problems, no DSP can fix that.) You can add some EQ to combat room modes too. Of course to do this you need a calibrated mic and either the OmniMic or REW software. I have found it nigh unto impossible to fully EQ drivers by ear or with an SPL meter or basic spectrum analyzer. Yes, you can make your biamp crossover that's easy enough, but EQ'ing the drivers or the room modes without reasonably good measurements can drive you batty.

flaviowolff

This thing is only $227 or so, including shipping to the US. For that price you get a fairly good DAC and some pretty powerful, easy to use DSP. You can't beat the capability-to-price ratio here.

If you want that DSP and better DAC performance, MiniDSP sells a DSP with digital outputs, so you could add- say two Topping E30's- and for the additional $ you could quell any audiophila nervosa that might result from you thinking you might hear artifact from this unit. (I would like to see a well-conducted blind listening test to see if one can hear the difference between this unit used as a DAC and a DAC with better measured performance. I really wonder if you could hear the difference on music. Maybe if you used pure tones you could hear some trouble, but I bet on music you just can't hear this stuff. Just my oinion.)

You can do things like generate biquads (eq coefficients) in OmniMic or REW and apply them directly to the EQ filters- in addition to up to 48 dB per octave crossover. Using OmniMic you can mathematically optimize your EQ filters for the woofer and the tweeter separately, which gets you quite close to flat response after you apply the filters. (Of course this just flattens amplitude errors - if the driver rings or has other stored energy problems, no DSP can fix that.) You can add some EQ to combat room modes too. Of course to do this you need a calibrated mic and either the OmniMic or REW software. I have found it nigh unto impossible to fully EQ drivers by ear or with an SPL meter or basic spectrum analyzer. Yes, you can make your biamp crossover that's easy enough, but EQ'ing the drivers or the room modes without reasonably good measurements can drive you batty.

And you can add Dirac Live to it by getting the DDRC-24 plugin. I’m using it as a DAC for almost a year now and it’s very good. Even the analog input is very transparent for my ears.

I believe the SHD model has all of this with fancier components

milosz

Forum Donor
I did not know you can add Dirac to it. That's interesting.

Top Bottom