• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Detailed Measurements of Morrow SP3 Speaker Cable (Video)

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
General warning to posters in this thread. Absolutely no religious content permitted. Posts will be deleted. Continued infractions will receive a Warning. Please and thank you.

Additional note. Please do not post quotes of Religious content. Then you force our hands we’re we may have to delete your reply quote post. Please go back if able and edit out any religious content. Thank you kindly.

Last edited:

Cuniberti

Forum Donor
What is KD?
DF is a pure figure that represents the ratio between 8 ohms (constant) and the Amp's output resistance.
So if you have an Amp with DF of 400, The Ro of the Amp is 8 / 400 = 0.02 Ohms.
If the DF of your Amp is 4 (Tube!) the speaker cable has no significance. The Ro = 2 ohms. Any cable will have a way lower resistance than that.
I've stated earlier, that it matters for higher DF's as SS of Class AB and D.
I don't know - it was in the amps spec. It's a 50w tube amp.

B4ICU

Your comments are not pure technical. Not close. No one else could even figure out what you were saying.

Have you clarified what you meant when you wrote, "...your assumption of the speaker cable's function is errorus. Absolute no understanding of its role."?

Amir responded to that with appropriate sarcasm. In response to his sarcastic (and humorous) reply, the most you have thus far managed to do, toward explaining what you meant, was to allude in a very vague and bizarre way to the need for a cable to tolerate the amount of current it needs to tolerate, i.e., the amount of current drawn by the load. You barely managed to do even that, and beyond this, you haven't offered a word of meaningful explanation of what you meant.

I have to infer that you are in the business of making and selling speaker cables yourself, and my guess is that you charge much more for them than the cost of the Morrow cables. Whether this is or isn't a correct inference for your purpose in doing what you are doing here, you really, really need to explain yourself. You've alluded to the extensive research you've done, so you should have a white paper of some sort that you can share with us. If you do, please share it. If you don't, then what do you have to show for all that time you invested in doing all that research? Surely you did not believe that at the end of the research effort you would be able to simply proclaim that you understood things that no one else understands and then expect everyone else to take your word for it and elevate you to the status of world's top expert on speaker cables. Surely it was apparent to you that you would need to produce some sort of write-up of your discoveries. So where's the paper?

Sorry to disappoint your disturbing assumptions.
I'm not in the speaker cables business. I made 3, one for myself, one for a friend in Israel, and one for a friend in Canada. Free of charge.
I do have that white paper. But why should I share it with you? did you share anything with me?
I think that understanding the basics, you do not need that white paper. But as i'm impressed, you don't have the basics of ethics to allow
yourself to listen.
"So where's the paper?" I would kindly propose you won't hold your breath till I'll pass it to you.
There is a word that born in Israel: "hutzpa". Your have so much of it in your post. Are you Israeli?
I am.

MrPeabody

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The main issues of speaker cables are R and L . C is normally less important. There is not much to do against L, which is defined mostly by length of the cable. It affects mostly high frequencies above 10kHz. R may be minimized by making the cross-section big enough. Then it is related to DF as mentioned by @B4ICU .

The way how to measure the speaker cable:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ow-sp3-review-speaker-cable.22834/post-761390

If you go yourself and look at that post of yours, and then look at the post immediately following it, you will see that Amir explained to you that he did the very thing that you say he needs to do. And if you look at the graph he provided, for the results, you will see that the frequency-dependent loss is virtually identical for the two cables. For each cable and for each different frequency the amount of signal loss (voltage loss) should be influenced by the speaker's impedance at that frequency. If there is a significant difference in cable inductance for the two cables, this should influence the voltage split between the cable and the speaker at high frequency, differently for the two speakers, such that you would see a difference in the high-frequency signal level at the speaker terminals, for one cable vs. the other cable. There is no evidence of this in the graph. The cable-induced gain is different at different frequency but is essentially identical for both cables. This implies that there is no meaningful difference in C for the two cables, and no meaningful difference in L, and no meaningful difference in R. The reason is that for all three impedance components, the values are orders of magnitude lower than the corresponding values within the speaker itself. If he had used a different speaker that had no voice coils and no voice coil inductance and no inductance in series with the tweeter, the graph would possibly have been different, but I wouldn't hazard a guess as to whether it would or wouldn't be much different.

MrPeabody

Sorry to disappoint your disturbing assumptions.
I'm not in the speaker cables business. I made 3, one for myself, one for a friend in Israel, and one for a friend in Canada. Free of charge.
I do have that white paper. But why should I share it with you? did you share anything with me?
I think that understanding the basics, you do not need that white paper. But as i'm impressed, you don't have the basics of ethics to allow
yourself to listen.
"So where's the paper?" I would kindly propose you won't hold your breath till I'll pass it to you.
There is a word that born in Israel: "hutzpa". Your have so much of it in your post. Are you Israeli?
I am.

Well, I'll only say that you have managed to make it quite apparent in these few posts of yours that you have some sort of grudge or whatever you want to call it against Jews and Israelis. No, I'm not an Israeli, and I think it is extremely weird that you reached that conclusion merely because I asked you to share your white paper with us. Very, very bizarre. If you continue denigrating Jews and Israelis, you will surely be banned without my having to suggest it.

It is further bizarre that you have used as an excuse, for not sharing your white paper with us, the fact that I have not shared any white paper with you. This is exceedingly bizarre, and very much the kind of thing that an infantile personality would do. You seem not to understand that you have made some very inappropriate remarks directed at Amir, saying that he absolutely does not understand the purpose of speaker cables, and that merely for having made such extraordinary remarks, and for having made the other claims you made about your "research", that you have placed upon yourself the need for you to share your research with us. It is not acceptable for you to do these things that you have done and then make up silly childish excuses for why you will not share your research paper. My bet is that there is no such paper and that the "research" is only something that you have imagined that you have done. I'm more than willing to engage in a modest wager on this point, because I don't think there is a chance in hell that you have written any such paper or that you've ever done any research that amounts to anything. In fact, if you actually did spend two years believing that you were researching the requirements for speaker cables, this is scary in itself, because all it should come down to is figuring out what the maximum acceptable values should be for each of the three components of impedance.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
L/R (cable L / speaker R) is important starting above 5-10 kHz (2*pi*f*L), even when L is in microhenries.
That would be total end-to-end cable 'L' with respect to speaker impedance at the frequency of interest. As the speaker impedance will vary widely at different frequencies.

B4ICU

Well, I'll only say that you have managed to make it quite apparent in these few posts of yours that you have some sort of grudge or whatever you want to call it against Jews and Israelis. No, I'm not an Israeli, and I think it is extremely weird that you reached that conclusion merely because I asked you to share your white paper with us. Very, very bizarre. If you continue denigrating Jews and Israelis, you will surely be banned without my having to suggest it.

It is further bizarre that you have used as an excuse, for not sharing your white paper with us, the fact that I have not shared any white paper with you. This is exceedingly bizarre, and very much the kind of thing that an infantile personality would do. You seem not to understand that you have made some very inappropriate remarks directed at Amir, saying that he absolutely does not understand the purpose of speaker cables, and that merely for having made such extraordinary remarks, and for having made the other claims you made about your "research", that you have placed upon yourself the need for you to share your research with us. It is not acceptable for you to do these things that you have done and then make up silly childish excuses for why you will not share your research paper. My bet is that there is no such paper and that the "research" is only something that you have imagined that you have done. I'm more than willing to engage in a modest wager on this point, because I don't think there is a chance in hell that you have written any such paper or that you've ever done any research that amounts to anything. In fact, if you actually did spend two years believing that you were researching the requirements for speaker cables, this is scary in itself, because all it should come down to is figuring out what the maximum acceptable values should be for each of the three components of impedance.

Lets stop your convincing effort on me to surrender my white paper.
Anyone who would step up with a revelation, would get some attention. History tells that most do no wellcome it. You are just an example of that.
Two years...Really. Take the last invention...how long did it take to bring it out?
I had to find ways to check it, in acceptable way of research methods and confirm that the white paper does work. It does.

Now, as you have my attention, why wouldn't you give it a try? What may happen?

pma

Major Contributor

StuartC

Forum Donor
I wonder if this guy has a side job writing speeches for politicians... he mangles the language well enough and spouts some utter gibberish.

Reactions: pma

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Recent Troll activity deleted. Please don’t feed them. I know they look cute and are fun to play with. But they may carry contagious silly thought processes and they always eat all the Oreo’s.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
@B4ICU

Your overly aggressive and insulting posts have earned you a thread ban.
Please dial it back or next will be a forum ban.

Ashley Salmond

Forum Donor
Yeh, I keep thinking it is to connect between the amp and speaker. But in reality, it is what you hang yourself with when you read comments like this.....
Hi Smirk, I watch a video on YouTube by the Stereopolice. He does a video about amplifier damping and the affect of speaker cable on that system. He shows thru a resistance formula and a sine sweep how the ohms very quiet signifantly. I would value your opinion on his video.

MrPeabody

L/R (cable L / speaker R) is important starting above 5-10 kHz (2*pi*f*L), even when L is in microhenries. Make your calculations and see the facts - the plot was posted. Trivial maths, trivial understanding of simple electro circuits. It is amazing that trivialities are usually misunderstood.

This is one example of several comments that pma has made that I do not like. I'm not talking about the technical statement, which I have no evaluated. I'm talking about, "Trivial maths, trivial understanding of simple electro circuits. It is amazing that trivialities are usually misunderstood." Anyone who writes something like this should take extra care not to have committed any misunderstandings themselves. And it is apparent from many of the comments he has made that he has committed any number of misunderstandings.

boristau

I decided to do a video review of the Morrow SP3 speaker cable since there is likely interest beyond the forum. For those of you who asked about my generic cable, I show it in the video.

BTW, I had the focus wrong but didn't realize it until the whole video was recorded. So don't mind that. Just listen to my voice and watch the screen capture. :)

Written review: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/morrow-sp3-review-speaker-cable.22834/
Hello Amir,
I envy your patience and tolerance to not so gracious remarks of your subscribers. But first of all, I admire and appreciate your outstanding efforts to measure audio components. Everybody is entitled to their opinions, but instead you produce objective, repeatable measurements no one can dispute. Measuring resistance of speaker wire is easily doable (~0.0003Ω? vs 4Ω), but will not add much to the main question here: How do they sound? Here, I am entitled to my opinion, and so do you! Thus, after more than 50 years into this hobby I strongly believe (but can not measure) that different speaker cables sound differently. That id why, to be on the safe side, and since my tastes are very simple (I require only the best), the front speakers of my systems use 16 gauge 99.9999% pure silver in Teflon insulation. Nobody complained so far.
I also strongly believe that be-amplified method is audibly and repeatably significantly better even than be-wiring. Never tried tri-amplification though, should be interesting. So Amir, perhaps when you have a chance you can enlighten us again on the wickedness of be-amplification.
Regards,
boristau

P.S. To calculate resistance of a wire one need to take into account this:

Material Resistivity, ρ, at 20 °C (Ω·m) Conductivity, σ, at 20 °C (S/m) Temperature coefficient[c] (K−1)
Silver 1.59×10−8 6.30×107 0.00380
Copper 1.68×10−8 5.96×107 0.00404
Gold 2.44×10−8 4.11×107 0.00340
Aluminium 2.65×10−8 3.77×107 0.00390

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity

Speedskater

Major Contributor
P.S. To calculate resistance of a wire one need to take into account this:
More importantly, for the cable in question:
a] actual diameter (or cross-section area) not the manufacture's claimed size.
b] actual length of the cable.
It's the end-to-end total resistance of the cable that matters. The differences between copper, audiophile copper and silver are trivial factors.

boristau

More importantly, for the cable in question:
a] actual diameter (or cross-section area) not the manufacture's claimed size.
b] actual length of the cable.
It's the end-to-end total resistance of the cable that matters. The differences between copper, audiophile copper and silver are trivial factors.
I wonder why nobody makes aluminum speaker cables. It is cheap, light, plentiful and since “the differences between copper, audiophile copper and silver are trivial factors” why not aluminum?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Speedskater

Major Contributor
I wonder why nobody makes aluminum speaker cables. It is cheap, light, plentiful and since “the differences between copper, audiophile copper and silver are trivial factors” why not aluminum?
IF you use much larger Copper Clad Aluminum wire, so that the total end-to-end resistance is the same as the more expensive wire, then the differences are trivial.
The catch is: the low budget CCA cables are probably not as large as the package indicates. Modern aluminum wire shouldn't be more susceptible to bending breakages. But with low budget cables you never know.

Top Bottom