• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Detailed Measurements of Morrow SP3 Speaker Cable (Video)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

B4ICU

Speaker cable info:
1. The 8' is one part of the info. What about the S (cross section)? You should know that R = ro x L / S.
2. the fact the cable weighs nothing, shows that there is almost no copper in it. So where did the $149 went? to the maker's pocket...
3. Bi wire is an absolute BS. Run a demo on Spice with a single wire (R1) and a bi wire (r + r = R1) and you will see that it's better to use a single with
the gauge of the bi wire two cables combined. It was a good joke in the 90's. Wake up, its 2021...
3. Unfortunately, your assumption of the speaker cable's function is errorus. Absolute no understanding of its role.
4. From your approach over this speaker cable test and it's video, I wonder if your entire testing method and site is worthy keep reading it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
3. Unfortunately, your assumption of the speaker cable's function is errorus. Absolute no understanding of its role.
Yeh, I keep thinking it is to connect between the amp and speaker. But in reality, it is what you hang yourself with when you read comments like this.....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
1. The 8' is one part of the info. What about the S (cross section)? You should know that R = ro x L / S.
Oh. Why wouldn't I measure the actual resistance instead of using back of the envelop math?

B4ICU

Yeh, I keep thinking it is to connect between the amp and speaker. But in reality, it is what you hang yourself with when you read comments like this.....

Sorry Amir. I hate ignorance.
All electrical cables would comply to this definition: "to connect between...". But some need to deliver the power (jumper cables, car electric motors etc'). Connect this morrow junk and they will evaporate. Go high Fr. and you will see that the cables used on a F-35 radar look different. They are different. And so on... They connect, on the toddler level, but do way more on the engineering level.
For the speaker cables, they do more too. The fact you do not understand something, should not get you to hang yourself.
If you are on that edge, I'm sorry, but I can not help. If you will to understand speaker cables, I do.
I tried once a couple of month ago to communicate by email with you on the subject, and you fold back.
A couple of weeks ago, I did it on another thread, but you were kind enough to block me! That was quite nobel.
I didn't see that's coming on a technical debate.
It's not too late, unless you had hang yourself already. I hope you were kidding and you are well.

B4ICU

Oh. Why wouldn't I measure the actual resistance instead of using back of the envelop math?

I do not understand your say. There are two ways to go: calculate it, by using L (in meters) and S (cross section in square mm), or use a low resistance
ohm meter and measure it. One is all you need. Why none,?

the_brunx

Just make objectively great products and you won’t have any nightmares of ASR. IMO objectively great products and objective reviews are the clear if not unstoppable future. The sooner these companies realize it the better for them. The intensity of objective reviews will only keep on increasing. Times are changing.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks again Amir, it's nice to see this video explaining even more then what you wrote.
I think it's also nice that you are not burning them completly down as they are well manufactured.It's a nuance view on these things.

Cuniberti

Forum Donor
the fact the cable weighs nothing, shows that there is almost no copper in it. So where did the $149 went? to the maker's pocket...
This was my cable I had tested. It has 192 stands of small gauge, solid-core OFC, individually insulated" wires = 13 gauge.

Last edited:

B4ICU

You’re hysterical. You reply “wrong” then do exactly what I said you’re doing. You can’t help yourself.

I'll happily discuss any technical issue regarding speaker cables. For the rest, you are welcome not to address me. Thanks.

Reactions: 617

B4ICU

This was my cable I had tested. It has 192 stands of small gauge, solid-core OFC, individually insulated" wires = 13 gauge.

Thanks. Now we know it is 8' long and it's cross section is #13. From the way it looks and how Amire say it weights, I doubt it is #13...
By this AWG table: https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm, you can calculate it's resistance.
Just keep in mind, that L = 2 x 8'.
This is a progress vs Mr. the_brunx attitude...
What is your Amp's DF? Then I can tell you how close (or far) you are from the right gauge.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please don't ban this guy I'm enjoying this

MrPeabody

and you wonder why you were blocked?. you are literally adding nothing much other than off-topic provocations and micro-aggressions derailing the thread.

Yeah, my thought was the same. It is funny when someone registers a complaint about having been blocked or banned and in the very same short post they behave in a way that is so scary that your immediate reaction is to want for them to be banned. It this case, it couldn't happen too soon.

B4ICU

Damping Coefficient 4 KD (1 kHz)

What is KD?
DF is a pure figure that represents the ratio between 8 ohms (constant) and the Amp's output resistance.
So if you have an Amp with DF of 400, The Ro of the Amp is 8 / 400 = 0.02 Ohms.
If the DF of your Amp is 4 (Tube!) the speaker cable has no significance. The Ro = 2 ohms. Any cable will have a way lower resistance than that.
I've stated earlier, that it matters for higher DF's as SS of Class AB and D.

pma

Major Contributor
The main issues of speaker cables are R and L . C is normally less important. There is not much to do against L, which is defined mostly by length of the cable. It affects mostly high frequencies above 10kHz. R may be minimized by making the cross-section big enough. Then it is related to DF as mentioned by @B4ICU .

The way how to measure the speaker cable:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ow-sp3-review-speaker-cable.22834/post-761390

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, my thought was the same. It is funny when someone registers a complaint about having been blocked or banned and in the very same short post they behave in a way that is so scary that your immediate reaction is to want for them to be banned. It this case, it couldn't happen too soon.

Amir created man or man created Amir? (Friedrich Nietzsche).

B4ICU

The main issues of speaker cables are R and L . C is normally less important. There is not much to do against L, which is defined mostly by length of the cable. It affects mostly high frequencies above 10kHz. R may be minimized by making the cross-section big enough. Then it is related to DF as mentioned by @B4ICU .

The way how to measure the speaker cable:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ow-sp3-review-speaker-cable.22834/post-761390

Thanks.
I'm happy that there is someone who gets down to the technical fects.
Even though, keep in mind that the DF is resistance only, by definition, even it is most commonly given at 8 ohms and 1kHz.
L, of the cable, would be negligible, compared to the L of a speaker, that is a coil, moving in a magnetic field. and most times there is also a crossover
network, that has coils, capacitors and resistors...in series.
However, when such analysis of a speaker, speaker cable and Amp are done, as Amir implies, that the speaker cable just connects between the two,
The speaker do not participate. It is just looking into the Amp's output, through the speaker cable.
Going with the speakers in the game, you will end up with no results or understanding.

MrPeabody

Wrong. My comments are pure technical. The fact you do not understand them, does not make them into nothing.
Most important, is the fact you (and others) won't give it a try, but whin. Those who try, were pleasantly surprise.
I would guess you never do...
You see, I did my research, I developed the concept, I tested it on a test group, I spent two years into that, and came out with results.
I'm sharing those here.
That's not reason to be blocked.
Last time I recall that approach, was when science clashed with the church. The result was bad for the scientists. They were burned alive.
So you say, that been blocked is really not a big deal, compared to the alternatives?
Who is your Rabbi?

Your comments are not pure technical. Not close. No one else could even figure out what you were saying.

Have you clarified what you meant when you wrote, "...your assumption of the speaker cable's function is errorus. Absolute no understanding of its role."?

Amir responded to that with appropriate sarcasm. In response to his sarcastic (and humorous) reply, the most you have thus far managed to do, toward explaining what you meant, was to allude in a very vague and bizarre way to the need for a cable to tolerate the amount of current it needs to tolerate, i.e., the amount of current drawn by the load. You barely managed to do even that, and beyond this, you haven't offered a word of meaningful explanation of what you meant.

I have to infer that you are in the business of making and selling speaker cables yourself, and my guess is that you charge much more for them than the cost of the Morrow cables. Whether this is or isn't a correct inference for your purpose in doing what you are doing here, you really, really need to explain yourself. You've alluded to the extensive research you've done, so you should have a white paper of some sort that you can share with us. If you do, please share it. If you don't, then what do you have to show for all that time you invested in doing all that research? Surely you did not believe that at the end of the research effort you would be able to simply proclaim that you understood things that no one else understands and then expect everyone else to take your word for it and elevate you to the status of world's top expert on speaker cables. Surely it was apparent to you that you would need to produce some sort of write-up of your discoveries. So where's the paper?

pma

Major Contributor
Thanks.
I'm happy that there is someone who gets down to the technical fects.
Even though, keep in mind that the DF is resistance only, by definition, even it is most commonly given at 8 ohms and 1kHz.
L, of the cable, would be negligible, compared to the L of a speaker, that is a coil, moving in a magnetic field. and most times there is also a crossover
network, that has coils, capacitors and resistors...in series.
However, when such analysis of a speaker, speaker cable and Amp are done, as Amir implies, that the speaker cable just connects between the two,
The speaker do not participate. It is just looking into the Amp's output, through the speaker cable.
Going with the speakers in the game, you will end up with no results or understanding.

L/R (cable L / speaker R) is important starting above 5-10 kHz (2*pi*f*L), even when L is in microhenries. Make your calculations and see the facts - the plot was posted. Trivial maths, trivial understanding of simple electro circuits. It is amazing that trivialities are usually misunderstood.

Top Bottom