• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Audio Measurement of LG G7 ThinQ Smartphone

Rod

Addicted to Fun and Learning
So maybe a user should consider matching the headphones to the amp if carrying adapters and seperate amps isn't wanted. V20's are cheap on ebay if you dont need band 12(t-mobile).

Pipps

The cable (which has its own DAC and amp) will decode the Bluetooth signal. The quad DAC means nothing in this instance. The only thing you'll have control over, is what format you send the signal over Bluetooth (which means you need to know what formats the cable can handle, those such as SBC, AAC, apt-X, apt-X HD, LDAC, etc).

EDIT: Since I see now that it supports apt-X, I would just go ahead and use that.
Assuming source material in FLAC 320kbps format [Edit: As APT-X is limited to 352kbps], [Edit: Plus a reasonable pair of IEMs such as the Westone W30s], would there likely be any noticeable difference in sound quality between the G7's quad DAC and the DAC inside the Westone Bluetooth cable via APTX?

Last edited:

Sythrix

Assuming source material in FLAC 320kbps format [Edit: As APT-X is limited to 352kbps], [Edit: Plus a reasonable pair of IEMs such as the Westone W30s], would there likely be any noticeable difference in sound quality between the G7's quad DAC and the DAC inside the Westone Bluetooth cable via APTX?

I was unable to tell the difference when I had a good apt-X signal on my Mee audio BT MMCX connector... However, it was incredibly easy to get dropouts while I was running, which made me rethink my whole strategy.

Generally, the quality remains decent until the signal drops.

Pipps

Try an AGPTEK Clip on your waistband whilst running - practically no movement so constant Bluetooth connection :)
[Edit: Thank you for the confirmation on sound quality.]

Last edited:

tential

The G7 has a similar dac setup to the V20. How would you rate the G7 if you can only use it in a nonbitperfect setup?

I would use it as a DAP only (V20 are under $200) with the adapter for the external mode. I just would either use Spotify, or my local library on MediaMonkey/RocketPlayer (I need it to sync to my library on my PC to record playcounts/etc.)

It's this or save up for the HIby R6, assuming that's a significant upgrade.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The G7 has a similar dac setup to the V20. How would you rate the G7 if you can only use it in a nonbitperfect setup?
In non-bit-perfect mode, your SINAD drops to below 96 dB. So you give up fair bit of performance but audibility may be similar.

tential

In non-bit-perfect mode, your SINAD drops to below 96 dB. So you give up fair bit of performance but audibility may be similar.
That answers that then. I guess I'll save up for the hiby r6, think you'll review that dap anytime soon haha

confucius_zero

Roen

How would you activate the Quad DAC with an external amplifier?

bigx5murf

I've owned every LG-Vxx phone up to my current v30, and there's a simple way to get around the power limits with lower impedance headphones. You just use a 3.5mm extender, and plug your headphones into that. In the v10 and v20, it actually tells you which power mode it's in. Normal is the anemic one, AUX mode is significantly more powerful (what it goes into with the extender), and high impedance mode is slightly more powerful (goes into this with headphones higher than 55ohm). I'm kind of bummed they removed the feature of telling you which mode it's in.

I do want to add, I had major reliability issues with both the v10 and v20. Both were replaced under warranty multiple times. The excellent audio performance kept me coming back to this series. No other phone could get volume loud enough when I was at the gym.

tential

Whenever you get a chance again with the phone could you test rocket player? I saw a list of apps that are supposed to bypass android and it was way more than neutron and uapp the two that everyone like to recommend. I need sync to my iTunes and the majority of the apps are phone only when I like my data to be shared.

I'd ideally use media monkey on both but I don't believe media monkey on Android bypasses the Android audio system.

qualcuno dovrebbe essere così gentile da aiutarmi? Ho un LG G7 e non ho capito se la bassa impedenza è influenzata dalla qualità o dal livello del volume.
Non mi interessa il volume perché ascolto sempre il volume medio-basso, voglio sapere solo se la qualità audio è influenzata.
Mi piacerebbe comprare la Fiio F9

Has anyone found software app, other than UAPP and Neutron, that can play files thru the Quad-Dac? they play fine but library and playlist creation is terrible.

bravomail

PowerAmp music player supports QuadDAC (paid app). HiBy player supports USB bitperfect while being free, I haven't heard specifics about HiBy and LG DAC.

bravomail

BTW If u r concerned with LG quality, u might consider Samsung Galaxy S7 and later with Exynos processor - they have very good CS DAC there, though not as powerful as in LG, cannot drive 300 Ohm phones.

Zut^_^

BTW If u r concerned with LG quality, u might consider Samsung Galaxy S7 and later with Exynos processor - they have very good CS DAC there, though not as powerful as in LG, cannot drive 300 Ohm phones.
No. Trust me, I have the S7 Exynos and it's audio output is underwhelming. I heard the G7, and I basically had an orgasm. No need to be concerned in any regard with LG, personal experience. :)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
No. Trust me, I have the S7 Exynos and it's audio output is underwhelming. I heard the G7, and I basically had an orgasm. No need to be concerned in any regard with LG, personal experience. :)
LG in the past has had serious quality problems. Are you sure those are worked out?

Top Bottom