• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Audio Measurement of LG G7 ThinQ Smartphone

derp1n

You are not enough of a cynic. I think it's to sell $159 wireless "AirPods."
Hardly. They include acceptable quality earbuds and a 3.5mm adapter in the box. And the AirPods are incredibly convenient.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I have an iPhone SE, which still has a jack. The other reason I have it is because I want a compact phone. I have more computers and tablets than I know what to do with, so I don't need to have a phone as big as a Kindle.

Yes just like everything goes to "wireless" because of "progress" not because they can sell you half the quality at 5x the price right?

derp1n

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Amir, I think you should post impulse (1 sample, 0dBFS) scope shots of D/A converters. It only takes a second or two and shows the filter characteristics and whether the D/As invert absolute polarity- something audiophiles obsess over.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to say that I wasn't impressed with the earbuds that came with my work issue IPhone 8. Then again, very few devices or DAPs include good ones in my experience.

Kyle / MrHeeHo

I have an iPhone SE, which still has a jack. The other reason I have it is because I want a compact phone. I have more computers and tablets than I know what to do with, so I don't need to have a phone as big as a Kindle.

My thinking is it's to make money from third parties by giving them no choice but to pay fees to make lightning accessories.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
There is quite a big article where they went through all the available headphones in the "normal" headphone market.
And did a bunch of testing with a group of people taking note of the audio quality in the lows and the highs.

έχω δίκιο

Hardly. They include acceptable quality earbuds and a 3.5mm adapter in the box. And the AirPods are incredibly convenient.
If it were not true, I would not have written it. The earbuds are not acceptable. They hurt my ears (narrow ear canals), fall out, and don't sound acceptable to me. That's why I still have several of them new in the iPhone boxes in which they came.

Yes just like everything goes to "wireless" because of "progress" not because they can sell you half the quality at 5x the price right?
I agree with you completely (and I'm sending this to you through a hard-wired gigabit network connection in my home because WiFi sucks compared to wired networking).

Apple earpods are not "acceptable quality" they are literally worse than $10 Panasonic IEM's or $3 VE Monks.
Again, agreed.

No, he is not wrong. He simply has higher standards than you do. What you describe as "acceptable" isn't to others.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

audiobill

All Iphones come with an adapter to plug in standard headphones, this is a non issue. as removing the jack made sense.

audiobill

There is clear info to force the LG phones to high power mode, add a short cable and a 75ohm adapter or higher or high imp device. When phone is in high mode,leave short cable, it will stay in high mode. this is a feature not a bug. LGs are great soundings phones. The HTC10 is also an excellent sounding phone.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The Shanling M0 (lovely little player) also sports the same DAC chip/headphone amp and is specified at 80mW@32 Ohm.
Rout was specified as 0.16 Ohm and has only one chip.
It is specified at that rating with the addition 'Europe' behind it so may be capable of even more due to stupid EU laws.

One would think that 4x paralleled would yield even more output current capability ?
Looks like something is holding the HP output back may well be the issue audiobill touched ?

Jimster480

Major Contributor
All Iphones come with an adapter to plug in standard headphones, this is a non issue. as removing the jack made sense.
Carrying around a dongle to use your headphones makes no sense.
And paying for an additional adapter (only recently available) to charge and listen to music at the same time makes no sense.

Therefore there is no reason to not have the jack, as they are not removing a dac or amp from the phone. It is simply just to charge more money with dongles (that many people will easily lose/break).

Timbo2

Carrying around a dongle to use your headphones makes no sense.
And paying for an additional adapter (only recently available) to charge and listen to music at the same time makes no sense.

Therefore there is no reason to not have the jack, as they are not removing a dac or amp from the phone. It is simply just to charge more money with dongles (that many people will easily lose/break).

For the iPhone and my Essential phone, the DAC IS built into the dongle so a bit more space in the phone.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Lightning+to+Headphone+Jack+Adapter+Teardown/67562

Top Bottom