• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel W990 Review (in-wall speaker)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Theoretically, how would a larger wall/baffle affect the sound? Because it would have to be a really tiny house to have walls like that.
No no. I am using special hardware and software to measure these speakers which generates results as if the baffle is infinite. For it to work well though it needs about a foot past each side of the speaker. I have that on left and right but not top and bottom. From previous testing I know it works well without a lot vertically but not sure if I cut it too close or not.

wwenze

Major Contributor
Ok so if I have a 8ohm or say even a 4ohm amp and the impedance is 3.7 will it just not play sound at that frequency?

It just means more current is drawn at that frequency. And a 10% difference is inconsequential.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Tough to review these kind of speakers and come up with steadfast conclusions.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No no. I am using special hardware and software to measure these speakers which generates results as if the baffle is infinite. For it to work well though it needs about a foot past each side of the speaker. I have that on left and right but not top and bottom. From previous testing I know it works well without a lot vertically but not sure if I cut it too close or not.

how expensive is the baffle from Klippel, can we realistically crowd fund it?

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here is an EQ for the Revel W990:

filters0.png

filters1.png
filters2.png

It improves the Harman score from 3.6 to 5.3.

Code:
EQ for Revel W990 computed from ASR data
Preference Score 3.6 with EQ 5.3
Generated from http://github.com/pierreaubert/spinorama/generate_peqs.py v0.8
Dated: 2021-08-22-08:33:20

Preamp: -2.8 dB

Filter  1: ON PK Fc  6795 Hz Gain -2.71 dB Q 0.71
Filter  2: ON PK Fc  1195 Hz Gain +2.89 dB Q 4.44
Filter  3: ON PK Fc   458 Hz Gain -2.03 dB Q 1.75
Filter  4: ON PK Fc  3369 Hz Gain -2.05 dB Q 6.00
Filter  5: ON PK Fc   176 Hz Gain +1.68 dB Q 1.95
Filter  6: ON PK Fc   348 Hz Gain -1.28 dB Q 5.99
Filter  7: ON PK Fc  2501 Hz Gain +1.83 dB Q 4.98
Filter  8: ON PK Fc  9206 Hz Gain -0.94 dB Q 6.00

nathan

Don’t confuse soffit mounted speakers with in-wall speakers. The former are simply large speakers mounted in a recess in the wall so that their baffle is flush with the wall. The latter are often just front baffles mounted to an opening in the wall and use the wall cavity as the enclosure. Some smaller models may have optional small enclosures.

I agree. It seems like the quality ones (whether from Genelec, Triad, JBL, etc) all have enclosures or backer boxes built into them, which mean they are engineered with a known amount of air to deal with.

Contrast that with some of the less well engineered ones, most of which are open in the back, meaning it is a crap shoot.

But I don't understand your words: For example, there are a lot of "in wall speakers" that don't seem to be like what you describe in that they are enclosed and in use in studios in some cases:
  • Procella, and
  • Triad In Wall speakers don't seem to follow your definition,
  • Genelec,
  • and JBL,
  • some Focal, as well. In fact,
  • even some Klipsch have enclosures,
  • some Monitor Audio do as well,
  • as do some Paradigm,
  • some Dali,
  • KRIX,
  • some Thiel,
to name just a few.

I'm shocked that Revel didn't go this direction. We know Harman knows how to do it (look at the JBL Synthesis in wall speakers). Of course I suppose we don't know whether that lack of an enclosure is the culprit with these measured results.

Last edited:

nathan

While we are at it, we have A.D. 2021, why not active? Would eradicate the crossover woes, among others.

There are several out there in the marketplace. They have to house the amplification section a little ways away from the speaker itself, of course, but yes, it's a good approach.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose this is what would be considered good crossovers?

1629642628071.png
1629642628071.png

dfuller

Major Contributor
So, the crossover component quality will make a difference in the sound quality?
It can under certain circumstances. Electrolytic caps and low quality iron core inductors (specifically low quality parts, mind - good quality iron/steel cores are fine) can add quite a bit of distortion at higher drive levels. Film caps and air core inductors have some inherent distortion as well but it's independent of current.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Installing a 110v electrical device inside a wall is Illegal per US building codes.
I guess light switches are an exception ;) OK, every country has its specific laws. Here in Germany it wouldn't be a problem AFAIK, but, most German houses have solid walls, so in-wall speakers are not very popular here so far.

nathan

Just curious: So, if I wanted to install a (hypothetical) active in-wall speaker in an isolated box, it would be allowed?
I guess light switches are an exception ;) OK, every country has its specific laws. Here in Germany it wouldn't be a problem AFAIK, but, most German houses have solid walls, so in-wall speakers are not very popular here so far.

I think the original poster may have overstated the prohibitions. Almost every electrical element in the US is 110v, just like in many countries, it's all 240v. But there are specific restrictions and certifications for what can be in the wall (or ceiling etc) and most active speakers where the amps are next to the drivers are not likely to be rated for that use, but many designs let you separate the amps from the drivers by many feet/meters so you can place the amp section in a safe/allowed location.

uwotm8

uwotm8

Attached ones can be considered as "good", but audiofools will definitely upgrade em;):

Attachments

• Xover_Dynaudio-Contour-Limited_010.jpg
    Xover_Dynaudio-Contour-Limited_010.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 102
  • bw_pic_2.jpg
    bw_pic_2.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 108
  • 0f8ecb0bfcab2e49252c8c9248791714.jpg
    0f8ecb0bfcab2e49252c8c9248791714.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 103
Top Bottom