• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel W990 Review (in-wall speaker)

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not my speaker so I can't modify it. But yes I too was surprised at the quality of the components.
I hope my F208's don't use this grade crossover components...

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Isn't extensive engineering of speakers to measure and sound good through system optimization without necessarily using the most expensive individual components supposed to be one of Harman's competitive strengths? The additional investment in such careful engineering doesn't come free to consumers.

dtaylo1066

Thank you for testing these in-wall units. The results are surely interesting. I wonder: If someone is purchasing in-wall speakers, are they really expecting or even caring about flat frequency response, or sound comparable to traditional speakers? I doubt it. I think they are first and foremost considering aesthetics and decor. It is hard to imagine they are critical listeners. As to product price and margin, it is easy to imagine they are high household income consumers.

MatthewS

Forum Donor
Thank you for testing these in-wall units. The results are surely interesting. I wonder: If someone is purchasing in-wall speakers, are they really expecting or even caring about flat frequency response, or sound comparable to traditional speakers? I doubt it. I think they are first and foremost considering aesthetics and decor. It is hard to imagine they are critical listeners. As to product price and margin, it is easy to imagine they are high household income consumers.

This is just not true. I care very much about well measuring speakers and I have Revel in-wall speakers for many reasons.

Very limited space.
Small kids.
Aesthetic (large speakers are mostly ugly)
Bang to buck ratio
Elimination of SBIR

I plan to upgrade my stereo + 2 sub system to a multichannel surround with 4 subs when I can tear out all my walls. The entire system will be in-wall.

This is my setup: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...stening-test-results-kef-jbl-revel-osd.25818/

Frgirard

Major Contributor

What did you said about in wall speakers?
https://www.northwardacoustics.com/portfolio/

Tangband

Major Contributor
Isn't extensive engineering of speakers to measure and sound good through system optimization without necessarily using the most expensive individual components supposed to be one of Harman's competitive strengths? The additional investment in such careful engineering doesn't come free to consumers.

But you CAN hear a clear difference for the better with better coils. Its a bigger difference in many cases, than buying a better amplifier. Every time I have done diy or modifications, it has always been beneficial to have aircoils with the same rating and resistance. Yes, -its more expensive but you can ruin the sound of a good loudspeakerdriver with iron-coils.

Here is an interesting review:
https://hificompass.com/en/projects/experiment/test-couple-iron-core-inductors

Lorenzo74

Amirm : I can see the very low grade crossover components used in this Revel loudspeaker . This would maybe be ok in a cheap loudspeaker for 200 dollars . This is an expensive loudspeaker and the ironcoils used have very high distortion , probably even more than the driveunits !

It would be really interesting if you do a test with different crossover components to show what happens if one uses ironcoils ,- very high distortion numbers appear, increasing with higher soundlevels. In this pricerange there’s simply no excuse not using better quality components . Im sure the 96 dB distortion measurement would look even better with aircoils in the crossover. Comments on that ?
View attachment 148746

let’s debunk some myths!
Check here, very respectable source.
My Best Regards
L.

Lorenzo74

But you CAN hear a clear difference for the better with better coils. Its a bigger difference in many cases, than buying a better amplifier. Every time I have done diy or modifications, it has always been beneficial to have aircoils with the same rating and resistance. Yes, -its more expensive but you can ruin the sound of a good loudspeakerdriver with iron-coils.

Here is an interesting review:
Nice, you anticipated me.
Are you speaker manufacturer?

ta240

Major Contributor
This is not my speaker so I can't modify it. But yes I too was surprised at the quality of the components.

So, the crossover component quality will make a difference in the sound quality?

I was out of wider panels. Ideally there would be more of a gap above and below the speaker for measurements. Here is a back shot of it:

Theoretically, how would a larger wall/baffle affect the sound? Because it would have to be a really tiny house to have walls like that.

uwotm8

Attachments

• F208_6moons.png
    F208_6moons.png
    242.5 KB · Views: 220
  • Revel-Performa3-F206-crossover.jpg
    Revel-Performa3-F206-crossover.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 214

julian_hughes

Hi Amir, I enjoyed reading your review. Having also seen earlier reviews of similar "in wall" speakers I understand that you and your enterprise are rather expert in installing discrete sound systems in people's homes where the customer doesn't want to see the room dominated by the appearance of audio hardware. Wives and their impeccable tastes rule and we are all improved by this! What I keep thinking about when reading these reviews is NXT flat panel speakers. I used them 20 years ago, Wharfedales with a dedicated passive subwoofer, because I lived in a small apartment with 1 living room, 1 bedroom. Space was at a premium. The NXT set up was not as good as a budget floorstander or bookshelf pair but it was OK in the circumstances as it didn't dictate the room and allowed civilised placement of furniture, shelves, heaters etc. After all, a living space is for living in, not only for audio. These days I still live in a small apartment but thankfully the sound quality of headphones and IEMs is actually astonishing now compared to 20 years ago. But I'm wondering if you and your company have experience of NXTs or whatever might be the modern equivalent, and if they are worth revisiting?

nathan

Baffle wall installations in high end recording studios and in high end home theaters often produce state of the art sound, but as is clear, not without some risks -- whether from the particular components selected or from the way they are used.

I'm very glad to see more measurements in this space, even if these particular measurements are surely disappointing.

mastachio

Ok so if I have a 8ohm or say even a 4ohm amp and the impedance is 3.7 will it just not play sound at that frequency?

dtaylo1066

This is just not true. I care very much about well measuring speakers and I have Revel in-wall speakers for many reasons.

Very limited space.
Small kids.
Aesthetic (large speakers are mostly ugly)
Bang to buck ratio
Elimination of SBIR

I plan to upgrade my stereo + 2 sub system to a multichannel surround with 4 subs when I can tear out all my walls. The entire system will be in-wall.

This is my setup: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...stening-test-results-kef-jbl-revel-osd.25818/

Certainly is not true in your case, and a few others. I should have been more clear in terms of generalizing.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Baffle wall installations in high end recording studios and in high end home theaters often produce state of the art sound…
Don’t confuse soffit mounted speakers with in-wall speakers. The former are simply large speakers mounted in a recess in the wall so that their baffle is flush with the wall. The latter are often just front baffles mounted to an opening in the wall and use the wall cavity as the enclosure. Some smaller models may have optional small enclosures.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for posting but I have no clue what I'm looking at. Are these better quality than the in- walls measured here?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Wait! I mean wait a minute! Are those TUBE CONNECTORS on that speaker? Seems Danny got to it first?

Top Bottom