• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Tower or Bookshelf with sub?

SineWave

I don't have much experience with bookshelf speakers, but with the little I do, it seems to me like the sound is coming from a small point (even when used with a sub) as compared to floor standing speakers that have that wall of sound (that I prefer).

If I got a pair of Revel bookshelf speakers and a Rythmik sub (maybe a 2nd sub later on), how would it compare to a set of Revel floor standers with the same sub(s)? Given that I would stay in the same Revel series and that I do not play music louder than about 75 db (so not concerned if one system could handle more power than the other). I read (not sure if true) that floor versions mainly sound the same but with just a little deeper bass and that they only have multiple mid/woofer so they can handle more power. Going the bookshelf way would save thousand$ but wondering how they would compare, so that is why I am asking.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would choose books and a sub ( or2) over towers in a smaller room, in a bigger room the towers( and maybe future subs) might be better

pdfield34

Whatever scenario you are more apt to buy multiple subs and dsp such as minidsp. :) You won't regret being able control your bass.

amper42

Major Contributor
Displacement matters. Subs are great but they can't make up for a weak bookshelf with a 5.25" driver like the Revel M105. Check out the BMR Monitors if you want a bookshelf or simply get Revel towers. Subs are fine but they are not going to offer a strong midrange.

levimax

Major Contributor
Towers and multiple subs. For most rooms the FR is going to be very ragged below 300 Hz and about the only way to smooth it out is multiple subs. In order to integrate everything it helps a lot to cross the subs low (80 Hz) and have an octave overlap so it will be much easier to accomplish with towers and subs.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have much experience with bookshelf speakers, but with the little I do, it seems to me like the sound is coming from a small point (even when used with a sub) as compared to floor standing speakers that have that wall of sound (that I prefer).
So I think you answered your own question. Plus the issue that I believe normal people find speakers stands uglier than towers...not that normal people like towers either ha ha. All the before/after graphs I've seen, like
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/three-three-klh-model-3-review-test-bench
https://www.stereophile.com/content/jl-audio-fathom-f110v2-powered-subwoofer-measurements
Suggest that just sticking towers in a room OR bookshelf speakers plus a sub is unlikely to give flat response. This pretty much means room correction, or adjustable bass management + REW + OmniMic and a lot of moving and experimentation. Get the towers...if you want to play some movies or EDM or long organ pipes then you'd definitely need a sub as well. Otherwise maybe not if you don't play crazy loud.

Bren Derlin

Displacement matters. Subs are great but they can't make up for a weak bookshelf with a 5.25" driver like the Revel M105. Check out the BMR Monitors if you want a bookshelf or simply get Revel towers. Subs are fine but they are not going to offer a strong midrange.

Revel makes other bookies with drivers larger than 5.25"... He doesn't have to switch to another brand.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

If I got a pair of Revel bookshelf speakers and a Rythmik sub (maybe a 2nd sub later on), how would it compare to a set of Revel floor standers with the same sub(s)? Given that I would stay in the same Revel series and that I do not play music louder than about 75 db (so not concerned if one system could handle more power than the other). I read (not sure if true) that floor versions mainly sound the same but with just a little deeper bass and that they only have multiple mid/woofer so they can handle more power. Going the bookshelf way would save thousand$ but wondering how they would compare, so that is why I am asking.
When you buy a floor-stander you are a buying a complete speaker system that is designed by people who know what they are doing, especially when the manufacturer in question is Revel.

On the other hand if you buy a bookshelf/stand-mount and separate subwoofers, you are designing your speaker system yourself. If you think you know as much as Revel on how to design a complete system or if you like tinkering around like a DIY person then by all means go for the latter.

Unless that tinkering is enjoyable also think about the cost of multiple subwoofers, DSP, and the time it takes to set the system.

radix

Major Contributor
I use the F228Be without sub in my living room. That's the reason I got the 228Be. In my previous house, there was no way to put a sub in. I moved last year and now might add one to help fill in more area, but the current setup without sub is OK at the main sitting areas. The MLP is maybe 12-15' from the speakers.

Here's the measurement with a UMIK2 with PSY smoothing. Of course, YMMV depending on speaker positions and room geometry. My room is maybe 15' x 30' with an A shaped ceiling.

livingroom_20221001.png

regan

Bookshelf + sub without a doubt. You'll get 20hz freqencies without selling your kidneys. Also I dont think there's any Revel (or other brands) standing speakers that goes that low.

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I use the F228Be without sub in my living room. That's the reason I got the 228Be. In my previous house, there was no way to put a sub in. I moved last year and now might add one to help fill in more area, but the current setup without sub is OK at the main sitting areas. The MLP is maybe 12-15' from the speakers.

Here's the measurement with a UMIK2 with PSY smoothing. Of course, YMMV depending on speaker positions and room geometry. My room is maybe 15' x 30' with an A shaped ceiling.

View attachment 262589
Bet this system sounds sensational. I have a very similar FR with 2x F206 and a pair of Sunfire subs all Dirac'd.

Top Bottom