• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Subwoofer Measurements?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
It is in the Harman price list for $2,500. If it is not shipping it would usually say so. This price list is from last Fall so it must be available.
Late night post. I meant if measurements have been released. I couldn't find any online, but contacted Revel, so hopefully they can provide a few.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
Speaking of subwoofers, is it in the plan to start measuring them at some point? I’ve just bought a duo of REL S510 and they sound great, better than a duo of REL t7i’s to my ears. When I turn these subs off the sound stage and impact of Revels M106’s is so much smaller. Given that most of the speaker reviews here are for bookshelf speakers, and given that we already know what some of the excellent speakers are, subs are what’s really missing at this point I think.

Will distortion be one of the main metrics for subs?

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Speaking of subwoofers, is it in the plan to start measuring them at some point? I’ve just bought a duo of REL S510 and they sound great, better than a duo of REL t7i’s to my ears. When I turn these subs off the sound stage and impact of Revels M106’s is so much smaller. Given that most of the speaker reviews here are for bookshelf speakers, and given that we already know what some of the excellent speakers are, subs are what’s really missing at this point I think.

Will distortion be one of the main metrics for subs?
Amir has measured a Rythmik. He mentioned what a pain it was having those loud bass notes playing for hours.

@hardisj has measured quite a few subs thus far...

No real need to use the NFS though, as unless it’s some unique design, it’s mostly omnidirectional <100Hz. The main aspect is max SPL at 20/30/40Hz, any chuffing, etc.

I already mentioned this to Erin, but I’d love for someone to measure the REL 1508, they claim 3in of excursion, which is just unfathomable. Or, Tekton sells a $1200 21” sub, which is by far cheaper than any competition, I would like to see if it’s actually a hidden gem or just a sloppy mess.

Last edited:

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The "problem" with the subs made by speaker manufacturers is that there are better subs that offer better performance in every way, great looks, excellent quality, lower price, better warranty, etc etc from the ID companies like Hsu, Rythmik, PSA, JTR, and to a lesser extent, SVS.

What you get for $2500 from Revel or REL, you can get twice the sub for half the cost from the ID companies. And that's being conservative.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
The "problem" with the subs made by speaker manufacturers is that there are better subs that offer better performance in every way, great looks, excellent quality, lower price, better warranty, etc etc from the ID companies like Hsu, Rythmik, PSA, JTR, and to a lesser extent, SVS.

What you get for $2500 from Revel or REL, you can get twice the sub for half the cost from the ID companies. And that's being conservative.
You guys in the US are spoiled by all that choice. By the time you account for shipping, duties, taxes and brokerage fees the savings tend to evaporate, especially if you're like me and want a small, sealed enclosure with a white finish and two balanced inputs.

Bear123

You guys in the US are spoiled by all that choice. By the time you account for shipping, duties, taxes and brokerage fees the savings tend to evaporate, especially if you're like me and want a small, sealed enclosure with a white finish and two balanced inputs.
I understand. What about Arendal?
Or how about Rythmik's custom install series and have a cab built locally?
Rythmik Custom Install series

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I understand. What about Arendal?
Or how about Rythmik's custom install series and have a cab built locally?
Rythmik Custom Install series
Arendal is a good suggestion. I'm in Canada, so that rules it out, especially at those prices. The Rythmik CI series: I considered them for a while, but I don't think they are worth the time.

This thread was occasioned by this spreadsheet: Sub Search. As you can see, slim pickings with all my criteria.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
$2,500 for a 10 inch sub with -10dB point of 24Hz in extended mode?!?! WTH!

Why so expensive? Rythmik FV18 BTHO of that sub in every aspect related to sound quality, and for almost $1,000 less. You can even get a premium custom finish to make it look just as good and still save $600+.

The power is good, and I feel like this would be a great sub if it were simply priced more reasonably. $600-$800 maybe? Rythmik sells a dual 12" for $950(which will definitely sound better than/outperform this sub).

Unfortunately, I hear that the subwoofer market outside the US isn't so competitive :(. There was a German subwoofer company I stumbled across that (from memory) looked pretty good price/performance, though I don't remember the name(had to use google translate to read the site). I also hear good things about Arendal, and what about SVS?

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I did some research and Canada has a trade agreement (CETA) in force with Europe, so no duties will be imposed by ordering from Arendal Sound direct.

Doing some conservative calculations for final price, the two contenders are:
  • Arendal 1723 1S: $2300 CAD
  • Revel B110v2: $3400 CAD
I hope Revel gets back to me with measurements.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

Bear123

I did some research and Canada has a trade agreement (CETA) in force with Europe, so no duties will be imposed by ordering from Arendal Sound direct.

I would strongly recommend a PSA S1512 over those options.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Curious, what kind of measurements did you ask for? CEA2010 is the gold standard for subs imo(like CEA2034 for speakers), though I'd be surprised if Revel would release that data(I bet they have it). Also can be nice to see separate distortion and group delay, though I doubt those really make an audible difference in most cases.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Curious, what kind of measurements did you ask for? CEA2010 is the gold standard for subs imo(like CEA2034 for speakers), though I'd be surprised if Revel would release that data(I bet they have it). Also can be nice to see separate distortion and group delay, though I doubt those really make an audible difference in most cases.
I asked for all of those. Like you said, I'd be surprised if they actually provided them. I probably won't go for them in the end because of the lack of info. Otherwise they fit the bill in a lot of ways, including having local-ish dealers (neighbouring province).

Bear123

They don't offer it in white, so no go.
Rythmik E15HP. I think it is available in white. They do 12’s as well

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Rythmik E15HP. I think it is available in white. They do 12’s as well
I'd get that one if I had a bigger living room, swallowing the extra tariffs and all. Right now I have one good corner where a sub will fit, and Rythmiks are all too deep.

Bear123

I'd get that one if I had a bigger living room, swallowing the extra tariffs and all. Right now I have one good corner where a sub will fit, and Rythmiks are all too deep.
How small do you need the sub to be? Looks like the smallest Rythmiks are 14" or so.

Top Bottom