• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Salon 2

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
My local JBL/Harman/Revel dealer did the (DBT) shootout between M2 and Salon2: https://www.thescreeningroomav.com The results are posted on AVS in the speaker sub-forum, M2 and/or Revel threads, somewhere. IIRC the results were very close, sort of like comparing a 9.5 to a 9.6 to call a winner.

Never heard the Kii's (nor likely to) so no opinion. I will note that many of the advantages listed for the 8C's are the same things optimized in the Salon2's crossovers, baffles, and waveguides but I've no idea how much better (if any) the 8C's are or would sound to me. Preference is what it is... Having control of all those parameters would be cool but I'd spend too much time tweaking.

Hi,

Johnny comes lately ... had 1st taste of magneplanar 1.7 fully modded on frame, stand and modified crossover from nice humble homehifi which failed due to some error in clamping the frames and then a 1.7i with just the modded crossover.

Due to quite unsightly setup in my 16' x18' x10' living room with dual vintage REL Strata 2 subwoofers, I took the plunge on a mint pair of 3 yrs old Salon 2 in nice glossy black ... finally back to the "high end" sound that I needed with all other components the same.

The magneplanars were ok with its big soundstage but at rpp usd2.1k vs usd21k of the Salon 2, they are simply and reasonably outclassed by the Salon 2 in the search for hiend sound .. have no doubt on needed $ to get you there.

The Salon 2 are nicely driven by the Sander Magtech amp of 500/900/1600w@8/4/2ohm together with the Audible Illusion L3A Blackgate version ... check before getting the Salon 2 did not show up any owner with the Sanders Magtech but they work great with control and finess together with preferred tube preamp of L3A as past experience tells me from CJ premier 14, Convergent Audio Technology SL etc.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sanders Magtech amps, really nice big muscled AB amps. Should be able to handle just about any load.

Sanders Magtech amps, really nice big muscled AB amps. Should be able to handle just about any load.

Hi Sal,

Indeed .. I also like its minimalist look as well as the fact that you can leave it running 24/7 and it remains cool to touch even in nicely tropical ambiet temperature of 28-34 deg C weather of Singapore without airconditioning of my living room ... despite its high power and stability at low impedence output.

Sanders in fact recommends in the user manual to keep it switched on indefinitely for best sound quality and longevity .. no regret till date especially with life-time warranty for the 1st owner.

Think I am the only Salon 2 owner with Sanders amp though and hence motivate to share here for other users.

Cheers.

Richard

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sanders in fact recommends in the user manual to keep it switched on indefinitely for best sound quality and longevity .. no regret till date especially with life-time warranty for the 1st owner.
I don't know about the claims but I found a spec that says it only draws 40 watts at idle. Plus I guess if you can afford a $5,500 amp, a few extra bucks a month on your power bill is irrelevant. ;)

I don't know about the claims but I found a spec that says it only draws 40 watts at idle. Plus I guess if you can afford a $5,500 amp, a few extra bucks a month on your power bill is irrelevant. ;)

Hi Sal,

Below from user manual and yes, it does not sound as good when just switched on.

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20200110-155042_Drive.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well written manual. No claims of better sound, only that the distortion levels will be at the lowest when temps are normal. Bit about extended life is probably true as long as the design creates minimal heat at idle.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My local JBL/Harman/Revel dealer did the (DBT) shootout between M2 and Salon2: https://www.thescreeningroomav.com The results are posted on AVS in the speaker sub-forum, M2 and/or Revel threads, somewhere. IIRC the results were very close, sort of like comparing a 9.5 to a 9.6 to call a winner.

Never heard the Kii's (nor likely to) so no opinion. I will note that many of the advantages listed for the 8C's are the same things optimized in the Salon2's crossovers, baffles, and waveguides but I've no idea how much better (if any) the 8C's are or would sound to me. Preference is what it is... Having control of all those parameters would be cool but I'd spend too much time tweaking.

Between the M2's and Salon2 I would take the later because it is it is not industrial looking and requires only a single amplifier rather than two and a crossover.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Between the M2's and Salon2 I would take the later because it is it is not industrial looking and requires only a single amplifier rather than two and a crossover.
Well, the M2 might look industrial to some, but the Salon and most consumer speakers look gaudy to me. The active crossover is supposed to be a plus not a minus, though.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, the M2 might look industrial to some, but the Salon and most consumer speakers look gaudy to me. The active crossover is supposed to be a plus not a minus, though.

That's reasonable. I'm just offering my preference for one of two systems which are of similar SQ. I suspect the M2's would be better at filling really big rooms.

nerdoldnerdith

The customer owned the Revels, he much preferred the 8Cs so sold the Revels, very straightforward.
This is a science based forum, jingoistic nonsense doesn’t wash here, perhaps you might be better off back at ‘What’s a Brain’?
The 8Cs are better because of their engineering it really is that simple ,
Boundary coupling, cardioid response, boundary filtering, completely full range, phase coherence DSP crossovers wide even dispersion.
The Revels good as they are, are just another passive loudspeaker.
Keith

Are you or have you been a Revel dealer, or was this pair of Salon's just a one-off?

If you don't sell Revel but sell Kii and Dutch & Dutch, then it's really not a fair comparison. Any dealer would tell you that the speakers he sells are better.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Revels were part-exchanged I had the opportunity to hear both 8Cs and Revels side by side for an extended period, the 8Cs are better loudspeakers.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
If you don't sell Revel but sell Kii and Dutch & Dutch, then it's really not a fair comparison. Any dealer would tell you that the speakers he sells are better.
True, Remember that you are reading threads in the "Desperate Dealers" section, and therefore can expect comments that are made here are done so with extreme prejudice. ;)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
God bless America,I could stock Revel, but why would I a £23k speaker that still need amps/dacs etc which is t as good as the 8C?
There are plenty of dealers around who sell traditional designs.
Keith

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anxiously waiting Erin’s measurements. Even though I’d probably never shell out that much money.

Same. Had a chance to kinda compare them to the Genelec 8351b recently. Probably the best full range sound I've ever heard. I've heard one other speaker with better bass, but it didn't do the rest of the spectrum as impressively as the 8c did.

Would love to compare them to the Salon2 some day. Looking at measurements, the 8c seems quite a bit better on axis and LW, while the Salon2 looks better off axis. My guess is that the 8c would sound slightly better tonally, be more clear, and image better, while the Salon2 would throw a wider soundstage and sound more enveloping.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Revel Salon2,

D&D8C

Keith

Top Bottom