• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Salon 2

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Clearly you haven't auditioned them both. The Revels are superb as passive speakers go. But active loudspeakers and controlled directivity are high-performance audio now.

It isn't a matter of auditioning. It's about detecting hyperbole.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah but 2 different animals. Salons are totally passive WYSIWYG where the M2's are a active design. M2's are bit (lot) more hands on than the Kii or D&D but in the hands of the right person capable of exceedingly high performance. Take a look into what @dallasjustice has accomplished and it's MHO the results will far surpass the capabilities of the small actives.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...m2-audiolense-digital-crossovers-w-subs.2369/

Agreed that the M2s can be superb and that what Dallasjustice has achieved is extraordinary. I think that, when professionally soffit-mounted, the M2s are almost certainly capable of better performance than the new-generation digital active speakers with controlled directivity.

In domestic rooms, however, I'm not convinced that the M2s would be better, except in maximum SPL capability. The reason is that, at low frequencies, the M2 is a conventional ported box. Controlling low frequency directivity seems to yield significant benefits.

I know I'm viewed, somewhat incomprehensibly to me, as a guerilla marketing agent for new brands, so perhaps the view of a more august authority would carry more weight. Late in his life, Mr. Linkwitz, who previously praised the JBL M2s, said that the Kiis were the most convincing loudspeakers he had heard.

EDIT: This has gone far afield. Congratulations to Keith on selling the Salon 2s!

Last edited:

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know I'm viewed, somewhat incomprehensibly to me, as a guerilla marketing agent for new brands, so perhaps the view of a more august authority would carry more weight. Late in his life, Mr. Linkwitz, who previously praised the JBL M2s, said that the Kiis were the most convincing loudspeakers he had heard.

Don't worry about what people think of you. Know your values and stick to your guns. Linkwitz was a genius. However, our hearing deteriorates as we age. If we are lucky it is limited to high frequency loss and all we miss is "air". It's a paradox that young people can hear well but rarely have the funds for great gear. What I dig about the Kii 3 and D&D is full range in a compact package. The problem is integration makes repairs difficult when dealing with a small company, plus app control could leave the owner abandoned when Android 12, Baked Alaska, comes out.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It isn't a matter of auditioning. It's about detecting hyperbole.
Have you heard both Salon 2 and Dutch&Dutch 8Cs side by side?
I have, the customer did why do you think he sold the Revels.
Difficult to accept I know, that America isn’t at the forefront of loudspeaker design.
Yet all of these European guys hold the work of Toole/Floyd in the highest esteem.
Keith

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
[QUOTE="Purité Audio, post: 141542, member: 13"]Difficult to accept I know, that America isn’t at the forefront of loudspeaker design.
Keith[/QUOTE]

I wonder if those who prefer American speakers to European are more often skeptical towards turbocharged car engines.

AMERICAN DESIGN:
miami-lakes-automall-2018-dodge-challenger-srt-demon.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I wonder if those who prefer American speakers to European are more often skeptical towards turbocharged car engines.
What was your point? That's a supercharged car making over 800 HP :eek:

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
What was your point? That's a supercharged car making over 800 HP :eek:

Oh, I thought it was «uncharged». I see my point was slipping due to faulty picture choice, and you see my insight into cars (too) has room for improvement.

I meant to show an «uncharged» American muscle car? Can you help me?

;)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It is the same over here, the larger companies don’t really innovate at all, seemingly happy to sit back and produce the same speaker again and again and again.
Ben Lilly ( ATC) told me that effectively ATCs demographic prevents them from innovating, even though they use DSP crossovers ) MiniDSP) for prototyping .
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I meant to show an «uncharged» American muscle car? Can you help me?
Same car just take off the supercharger and the SRT grill badging, Then you'd have the 485 HP Scat Pack, for half the money even .
SRT $80+K Scat Pack $39K and with a fuel sipping rating of 15 city 24 highway. ;)

svart-hvitt

Major Contributor
Same car just take off the supercharger and the SRT grill badging, Then you'd have the 485 HP Scat Pack, for half the money even .
SRT $80+K Scat Pack $39K and with a fuel sipping rating of 15 city 24 highway. ;)

Thanks! So I know now where to go to find some real muscle!

;)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of the Europeans around here have obviously never driven a deep breathing large displacement American car without a turbocharger. I did own two turbocharged BMW's as well.

Now can we stop waving the flag, making blanket statements and attacking me for seeing the absurdness of some of these claims.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
8Cs killed them stone dead, and that was with decent ancillaries, two Benchmark AHB2s amps and Dac3, anyhoo they have gone now, thank goodness.
Keith

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
8Cs killed them stone dead, and that was with decent ancillaries, two Benchmark AHB2s amps and Dac3, anyhoo they have gone now, thank goodness.
Keith

Killed them so dead they had to call an undertaker, LOL.

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Any chance there will be a blind test between the Salon 2's, 8c's and a M2?

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Any chance there will be a blind test between the Salon 2's, 8c's and a M2?
I recall somewhere a blind test between the M2's and Salon 2's indicated a preference for the Revel's. The chances of getting all 3 in one room are remote. I don't believe the Salon 2/D&D shootout here was blind, and besides, there was only one subject. The seller doesn't count due to obvious bias. So, forgive my skepticism and the involvement of noble horses.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The customer owned the Revels, he much preferred the 8Cs so sold the Revels, very straightforward.
This is a science based forum, jingoistic nonsense doesn’t wash here, perhaps you might be better off back at ‘What’s a Brain’?
The 8Cs are better because of their engineering it really is that simple ,
Boundary coupling, cardioid response, boundary filtering, completely full range, phase coherence DSP crossovers wide even dispersion.
The Revels good as they are, are just another passive loudspeaker.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Keith
What a bunch of BS, why don't you save your fairy tales for the kindergarten crowd?
EarlyChildhoodEducation_A8_Web.jpg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Ask of everything what is it unto itself.
Keith

Top Bottom