• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Salon 2

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
A new year is nearly upon us and amazingly these new in the box Revel Salon 2’s ( piano black) are still available, I would give them to Sal but they aren’t really ‘low bass’ speakers, RRP over here is £23k open to offers.
Keith

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, if I had a well-treated room and if loud, clean bass were a priority, I wouldn’t hesitate to take these Salons over Kii3/D&D8c at around the same price...

The Salons will give you significantly lower distortion in the bass, higher max SPL, and a more solid, inert cabinet.

No, they are not constant directivity, but they have very smooth polars, and to be honest the two alternatives mentioned are CD only in the horizontal plane and only down to the upper bass.

I hope someone snaps these up at this price.

Last edited:
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes if you had a properly treated room and soffit mounted the Revels they would almost be as good as the D&D8cs/Kiis!
Apart from the bass extension.
Keith

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes if you had a properly treated room and soffit mounted the Revels they would almost be as good as the D&D8cs/Kiis!
Keith

I have to say, I’d take the poorer bass extension in exchange for the significantly lower distortion any day ;)

4216038C-6E76-42B8-8599-CFC4F9A05970.png

2E9196DF-E187-485B-A09A-B3BCF03942AF.jpeg

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I don’t play too much at 100db and having heard both next to each other ,have you?
I would take the Kiis or the 8Cs every time.
The Revels are ordinary in comparison.
Keith

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t play too much at 100db and having heard both next to each other ,have you?
I would take the Kiis or the 8Cs every time.
The Revels are ordinary in comparison.
Keith

To be fair, no I haven’t but would like to :)

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sold,possibly, hooray.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I am surprised, if they have sold it was for a good deal less than my advertised price.
Is this because of the long term poor U.K. distributor, a turning away from large loudspeakers or just the UKs financial miasma .
Keith

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am surprised, if they have sold it was for a good deal less than my advertised price.
Is this because of the long term poor U.K. distributor, a turning away from large loudspeakers or just the UKs financial miasma .
Keith
It probably is worse in UK but even in US the awareness of the quality of these speakers is very low. It simply is not expensive enough for the high-end crowd. And then too expensive for the low-end market.

I remember John Atkinson at RMAF talk 3 years ago or so said of all the speakers he had tested, the Revel Salon 2 was the best and his favorite. When I post this on another forum there were all kind of protests and incredulity. Even with that endorsement people didn't want to believe.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sold!
Just theCessaro ‘Liszt’ to go.
Keith

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Finally! Too great a speaker to be just sitting in their boxes... Send the owner to ASR to post pix. :)

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Keith

Horse poop.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sold!
Just theCessaro ‘Liszt’ to go.
Keith
So I take it the pending deal in Dec fell thru,
Or did it take that long for him to make up his mind?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Clearly you haven't auditioned them both. The Revels are superb as passive speakers go. But active loudspeakers and controlled directivity are high-performance audio now.
I have auditioned Kiis and own the Revel Salon 2s......

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have auditioned Kiis and own the Revel Salon 2s......

Who buys and owns what is not the worst indicator of the comparative quality of audio devices. However, if we use this method, we have to confront a data point that runs the other way--Keith's difficulty selling the Salon 2s versus the Kiis and D&Ds.

Measurements and double-blind tests are better indicators of comparative quality. The new generation of digital active loudspeakers seems to be measurably superior to what came before in most respects. (The Salon 2s are better than the new speakers in several ways. The Kii Threes, without the very expensive bass bins, run out of steam pretty fast in the low end, and the Kiis' treble is a tad too hot. The D&Ds don't run out of steam as quickly but have had some reported QC issues, all reportedly resolved by D&D. The Beolab 90s take up a lot of floor space, are very expensive and arguably look weird.)

I realize we have a lot of Harman fans here and that old preferences for the Salons 2s, the M2s or other big Harman speakers will die hard. (I'm saying this as someone who, following the advice of ASR posters, just advised a close relative to spend a couple grand on Revel loudspeakers!) If only Harman would make a product that competes with the Kiis, Beolab 90s and D&Ds, it would probably be cheaper and equally, if not more, excellent. I don't know why they're taking so long to do so.

In light of a question I received recently, I think we need a new thread on measurably excellent speakers that attempt to achieve SOTA performance. I am grateful that no one here is defending Wilsons on the basis of either weight or the old knuckle-wrap test.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I realize we have a lot of Harman fans here and that old preferences for the Salons 2s, the M2s or other big Harman speakers will die hard.
Ah but 2 different animals. Salons are totally passive WYSIWYG where the M2's are a active design. M2's are bit (lot) more hands on than the Kii or D&D but in the hands of the right person capable of exceedingly high performance. Take a look into what @dallasjustice has accomplished and it's MHO the results will far surpass the capabilities of the small actives.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...m2-audiolense-digital-crossovers-w-subs.2369/

Top Bottom