• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Salon 2

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
FYI for all, The above statement is a highly biased opinion piece due to Keith being a dealer for the 8C. Take it with a grain of salt.
I could be a dealer for REVEL, I do rate them, measurements are excellent for passives, but why, they are more expensive in themselves, require separate power/preamplification and dac’s/EQ to me that just doesn’t make sense.
And the customer preferred the 8Cs too.
Keith

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Salon2s are not perfect, of course, but implying they are "congested", whatever that term really means, and colored, implies rather overt frequency response deviations and/or distortion for these problems to be so easily audible. Your use of EQ to adjust the 8C with an unspecified reference (Flatness? A bass bump? Spectral tilt?) makes any comparison suspect. I experienced this sort of manipulation not so very long ago in a dealer's demonstration of Martin Logan Renaissance 15As. Unfortunately for him we were using my own recordings, and the EQ he chose was easily revealed. Without a reference EQ can make some sources sound artificially "better", with the results varying widely depending on the source material used.

I am anxious for the opportunity to hear the 8Cs some day, because I think they might be exactly what I'm looking for in our HT system. I'm hoping to find someone with a home installation I can listen to, once the pandemic subsides.
The 8Cs have 24 in built PEQ filters, I only ever implement filters within the minimal phase region of the response purely to diminish any room derived peaks, I used either filters in Roon or in the RME to adjust the Salons, ( which the customer had pulled well away from the front wall).
Keith

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All speaker system designs are some sort of compromise the engineering is focused to a particular environment and usage scenario.

I'm sure driven properly and in optimum environment the salon 2 would blast the 8c away in bass and volume .

The 8c is genius, for most people and in most domestic listening scenarios it's hard to beat . You can have a pair and enjoy great sound while also not being a salve to them domestically.

If I were to change my speakers I'd presently go with the 8c , put them against the wall and get on with living a normal life.

If you were interpreting my post as some sort of defense of the Salon2s, it wasn't. I'm not brand-loyal, nor did I design them. I just purchased them, and about ten years ago too. I've assumed that technology advancement would best them eventually, if not already. That's why I auditioned the ML 15As, among others. So far, none have got me to make the jump, but the 8C is a lot less expensive (about, perhaps what the Salon2s would be sold for) and I can also get rid of my boat-anchor amp. Or my thinking might be that if I found a speaker that bested the Salon2s, I'd just move the Salon2s to the HT system and use the new ones in the music system.

I think the 8C looks like genius too, I just get impatient with the audiophile terminology like "congested", especially to describe speakers that are the antithesis of what congestion must be.

nerdoldnerdith

If you were interpreting my post as some sort of defense of the Salon2s, it wasn't. I'm not brand-loyal, nor did I design them. I just purchased them, and about ten years ago too. I've assumed that technology advancement would best them eventually, if not already. That's why I auditioned the ML 15As, among others. So far, none have got me to make the jump, but the 8C is a lot less expensive (about, perhaps what the Salon2s would be sold for) and I can also get rid of my boat-anchor amp. Or my thinking might be that if I found a speaker that bested the Salon2s, I'd just move the Salon2s to the HT system and use the new ones in the music system.

I think the 8C looks like genius too, I just get impatient with the audiophile terminology like "congested", especially to describe speakers that are the antithesis of what congestion must be.

The Salon2's are far from sounding congested the way that word is typically used to describe speakers. They are probably among the least congested passive speakers money can buy. It's just that the cardioid of the 8C's very noticeably removes the midrange coloration that inevitably occurs with such designs, and by comparison they seem to sound a bit "congested." It's not a knock on the Salon's, which are still superior speakers in many ways, especially when properly positioned.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not a knock on the Salon's, which are still superior speakers in many ways, especially when properly positioned.

The Salon2s seem more sensitive than any of my previous speakers for proper positioning. While they can sound fine a couple feet out from the front wall and a couple feet from side walls, IMO they sound a lot better four or five feet out from the front wall, which in my rooms (they've been in two in two different homes) makes getting bass just right somewhat annoying, and it never seemed "just right", so I went to sub augmentation + PEQs to fill in dips. It is intriguing that perhaps the 8Cs would be less sensitive to getting placement just right. Fortunately for me my spouse doesn't care about having such large speakers pulled out so far, but most of the women who have seen them give me that look. You know, "Really? They need to be in the middle of the room?" look.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Fortunately for me my spouse doesn't care about having such large speakers pulled out so far, but most of the women who have seen them give me that look.
She's a real keeper. Also awesome when you have a room large enough to position like that.. I had my La Scala's positioned very much the same in Chicago, the depth and width of the soundstage and the air around instruments is hard to equal any other way.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
If I were to change my speakers I'd presently go with the 8c , put them against the wall and get on with living a normal life.

Explain "normal" and what parts of your life are outside of that perimeter? LOL

I suspect the shorter post would be what is "inside" the "normal" perimeter... albeit unknowing what Thomas might consider "normal". After he, all was crazy enough to herd this forum for a long time. :D

Good to see you posting, Sir Thomas.

Last edited:

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
In the market but it seems like the Salon2 is out of stock everywhere.

Top Bottom