• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel S16

SimpleMan

This is my first post, but I've been lurking this site for awhile and appreciate everyone's knowledge and insight and all the effort that goes into product reviews.

Anyway, I am looking for LCR speakers and possibly a sub to be used in my living room in connection with a TV hung above a gas fireplace/mantel. The living room is fairly small and is part of an "open" floorplan connected to a small eating area (like half a room size) and a relatively small kitchen. 9 or 10 foot ceilings. Hardwood floors.

Unfortunately, I don't really have a ton of room to have speakers on a stand and my mantel is only about 8-9 inches deep, so I was thinking about going with the Revel S16s as L and R. I have not had a chance to hear them yet, as my local dealer did not have any on the floor. I heard the M16s, which I liked a good bit.

A few questions for the crowd:

* Does anybody own or has anyone heard the S16s and have any thoughts on their quality and potential use as L and R? I will likely try to see if I can find another dealer with them on the floor to go listen to them, but I am interested in everyone's thoughts and experience.

* The S16s are rather shallow. Does this reduce the bass that is present in the M16s and would you definitely recommend a sub with the S16s as L and R?

* Is the Revel C25 center channel the best match for the S16s? The C25 is deeper than my mantel, but I don't mind a little overhang in the center of the mantel.

* Finally, and this may not be a question the mods permit (in which case, let me know and I will edit my post to remove it), but what is a decent price to pay for the S16s from a dealer?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Webninja

Forum Donor

Haint

I took a like-for-like in-room measurement comparing them, but not sure how much it's worth in an objective sense. I'm not a trained or experienced listener, but to me they sound very very similar to the M16 and F35 aside from bass extension. You certainly sacrifice bass with the sealed and shallow cabinets, and the C25 has even less extension. You'll definitely want a sub (or two) with that combo in an open concept room, but they're really good speakers.

Top Bottom