• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel PerformaBe speakers vs. older Paradigm Signature V3 speakers?

xirtam2005

Has anyone heard the Revel PerformaBe speakers?

I really liked the sound of the long discontinued Paradigm Signature v3 speakers (the ones with the Be tweeters), but not a fan of the new Paradigm. The Foundation Series don't look as good as the older Signature v3 (I think they are actually the Studio line successors), and the Persona line is like > 2.5x the prices I remember from Signature v3, so it's a bit out there pricey, especially if we're looking for a multichannel system.

The Revel PerformaBe speakers are right in the price range ballpark of the discontinued Paradigm Signature v3, when accounting for inflation. Are these worth considering for someone that likes the long discontinued older Paradigm Signature v3?

jonfitch

Revels are more laid back sounding than the old Paradigm Signature series, you can see it in the Soundstage measurements, the off-axis measurements, the 15, 30, 45 degree measurements tend to be flat on the Paradigms whereas its slightly declining for Revels in the high frequencies. Generally this effect causes the image to sound larger but with less depth.

Revel speakers also have much better power handling than Paradigm's Signature speakers, as those speakers were known to need driver replacements as their excursion limits were easily exceeded. Tonally the closest to Paradigm Signature series today is probably the TAD Evolution series. Revel is similar but less bright sounding on-axis.

OP
X

xirtam2005

Revels are more laid back sounding than the old Paradigm Signature series, you can see it in the Soundstage measurements, the off-axis measurements, the 15, 30, 45 degree measurements tend to be flat on the Paradigms whereas its slightly declining for Revels in the high frequencies. Generally this effect causes the image to sound larger but with less depth.

Revel speakers also have much better power handling than Paradigm's Signature speakers, as those speakers were known to need driver replacements as their excursion limits were easily exceeded. Tonally the closest to Paradigm Signature series today is probably the TAD Evolution series. Revel is similar but less bright sounding on-axis.

Thanks. That is really disappointing. What is as good as the old Paradigm Signature series (the V3 with the Be tweeters) these days, that's not a total ripoff? You mention Tad Evolution, but those are like double the price of Paradigm's own Persona, like 5x what the Signatures V3 used to cost!!! :facepalm: :eek: You basically have to be in the top 1% to afford the TADs. "Normal folk" could aspire to afford the Signature V3s. Is there nothing out there as good anymore???

I really liked those speakers and the way they sounded and wish they still made them. I cannot afford the Persona series, but understand that even the Persona is less flat than the Signature.

Last edited:

AlexanderM

Thanks. That is really disappointing. What is as good as the old Paradigm Signature series (the V3 with the Be tweeters) these days, that's not a total ripoff? You mention Tad Evolution, but those are like double the price of Paradigm's own Persona, like 5x what the Signatures V3 used to cost!!! :facepalm: :eek: You basically have to be in the top 1% to afford the TADs. "Normal folk" could aspire to afford the Signature V3s. Is there nothing out there as good anymore???

I really liked those speakers and the way they sounded and wish they still made them. I cannot afford the Persona series, but understand that even the Persona is less flat than the Signature.
So what is the budget exactly, as in what did the Signature V3 used to cost?

jonfitch

So what is the budget exactly, as in what did the Signature V3 used to cost?

Nothing comparable to today's pricing lol. Pre Global Financial Crisis pricing that was competitive with internet direct speaker brands. They used to sell speakers with beryllium tweeters (Paradigm S1) with sculpted aluminum cabinets for $1500 a pair in 2006. These day's you probably have to pay 3-4x as much today for something comparable. Closest comparable product to that I can see would be something like the Perlisten S4S today ($8000).

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I heard those Paradigms. I found them to be a bit cool for my taste but they were definitely good. I bet if you look around you could find a pair.

Otherwise, if I was in the market for good passive speakers I'd just get whatever the best Revels or Kefs I could afford are. Maybe the Ascend acoustics stuff too, but realistically I am a speaker designer so I'll just make something. I'm not impressed with the JBL/PSB/Klipsch stuff at all.

I really liked the look of those Paradigms, with the big metal plate the mid and tweeter were mounted to.

OP
X

xirtam2005

Was hoping to keep under $10k for front 3 LCR. Already have a really good sub, so bookshelf LR are fine. If there is nothing, if I can find a dealer willing to knock off 20%, I can probably stretch budget with Paradigms Persona bookshelf if that really is the closest these days, before the price jumps again. But I don't know if those sound as good. I don't like a "rolled off high" like that described for the Revels. I like a neutral transparent sound. "Good enough" for me is the Paradigm Signature V3 line powered with Parasounds Halo A21/31/51 line. I'm sure there's better, at a $$$, but that is what I liked.

The Signature S2 and C3 V6 were like ~$6K MSRP when they were discontinued 7 years ago. $10K would be reasonable range with inflation.

OP
X

xirtam2005

Nothing comparable to today's pricing lol. Pre Global Financial Crisis pricing that was competitive with internet direct speaker brands. They used to sell speakers with beryllium tweeters (Paradigm S1) with sculpted aluminum cabinets for $1500 a pair in 2006. These day's you probably have to pay 3-4x as much today for something comparable. Closest comparable product to that I can see would be something like the Perlisten S4S today ($8000).
Why does everything seem "so much harder" these days? I'm not making 3-4x as much. This is extremely disappointing.

jonfitch

The Personas sound terrible. I briefly had a demo unit from a dealer and they made my ears bleed. They've been measured at the NRC Anechoic chamber. They sound exactly as they measure--bright and honky.

fr_on1530.gif

The Foundation series for all practical purposes is their flagship from an audio engineering standpoint these days, as the original owner bought the company back and designed this line to get the company back on track to their principles.

OP
X

xirtam2005

The Personas sound terrible. I briefly had a demo unit from a dealer and they made my ears bleed. They've been measured at the NRC Anechoic chamber. They sound exactly as they measure--bright and honky.

fr_on1530.gif

Well that's disappointing. That's not neutral at all. Would be terrible for a musical home theater. Thanks for sharing.

Signature V3 were perfect (for me). Wonder why Paradigm took something so good and came up with this. Can I get something similar to S2 and C3 V3 for ~$10k with dealer negotiation? If I allow for negotiation, that is 2x budget of the C2 and C3 when they were discontinued, much higher budget than even general inflation. This shouldn't be so hard, and only available for the top 1-2%.

Sure, I could probably find used ones, but that may take years to cobble together, and if they aren't in "good working order", are they still serviceable if they need new drivers, surrounds, or parts?

OP
X

xirtam2005

fr_on1530.gif

The Foundation series for all practical purposes is their flagship from an audio engineering standpoint these days, as the original owner bought the company back and designed this line to get the company back on track to their principles.

I've never heard the foundation. I heard the Prestige and they were terrible. The studios were really good for the price, but the Signature V3 were the best speakers I've heard that I ever hoped to be able to afford.

The Founder series is well within my price range, but I'm not sure these would sound as good as the latest Studios, let alone the Signature V3, which is the performance I really want.

The Revel Performa Be is exactly in my price range.

Last edited:

jonfitch

I've never heard the foundation. I heard the Prestige and they were terrible. The studios were really good for the price, but the Signature V3 were the best speakers I've heard that I ever hoped to be able to afford.

The Founder series is well within my price range, but I'm not sure these would sound as good as the latest Studios, let alone the Signature V3, which is the performance I really want.

The Revel Performa Be is exactly in my price range.

I meant Founders lol sorry

OP
X

xirtam2005

I'm guessing the Revel Performa Be is the closest I can get to the Paradigm Signature V3 sound at my price range (better than the Founder series)? It's not as laid back as the old B&W 800 series? TAD is unobtanium.

mcdn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The Revels have a very smooth directivity index, and respond well to EQ. You should be using DSP for bass management anyway, so you can adjust the overall EQ curve to taste at the same time.

AlexanderM

I'm guessing the Revel Performa Be is the closest I can get to the Paradigm Signature V3 sound at my price range (better than the Founder series)? It's not as laid back as the old B&W 800 series? TAD is unobtanium.
My advice would be, go and listen to the Founder Series, I heard them at the same time I heard the Monitor Audio Silver 500 7Gs and they sounded superior. Is there somewhere you can go and have a listen? Otherwise, just go with the Revels, but order from somewhere where you can send them back if needed, like Crutchfield, who had them on sale not that long ago but they aren't on sale at the moment. Find a sale but make sure you can return.

Lsc

Has anyone heard the Revel PerformaBe speakers?

I really liked the sound of the long discontinued Paradigm Signature v3 speakers (the ones with the Be tweeters), but not a fan of the new Paradigm. The Foundation Series don't look as good as the older Signature v3 (I think they are actually the Studio line successors), and the Persona line is like > 2.5x the prices I remember from Signature v3, so it's a bit out there pricey, especially if we're looking for a multichannel system.

The Revel PerformaBe speakers are right in the price range ballpark of the discontinued Paradigm Signature v3, when accounting for inflation. Are these worth considering for someone that likes the long discontinued older Paradigm Signature v3?
I used to own the F228Be. It’s a great speaker that’s neutral, is very detailed and overall an excellent speaker. It’s nearly an end game speaker and can be an end game speaker for many. It’s that good.

OP
X

xirtam2005

I used to own the F228Be. It’s a great speaker that’s neutral, is very detailed and overall an excellent speaker. It’s nearly an end game speaker and can be an end game speaker for many. It’s that good.
Thanks. What did you upgrade to and why? For musical home theater, probably good enough, if I like the sound. Will also try to listen to the Founders.

I'm assuming the general consensus (for most) is that the F228Be is better than Paradigm Personas?

OP
X

xirtam2005

For the Revel Performa Be, would the F226Be be a good LR match for the C426 center? The F228Be would be great for stereo, but have a good sub with 80 Hz crossover, so don't think I'd get my $$ worth, when it is a 70% HT/30% music system.

Lsc

Thanks. What did you upgrade to and why? For musical home theater, probably good enough, if I like the sound. Will also try to listen to the Founders.

I'm assuming the general consensus (for most) is that the F228Be is better than Paradigm Personas?
I upgraded to the salon2 mainly because the salons were my dream end game speakers.

The F226Be would be a great option if don’t mind a smaller looking speaker…some say it’s even better than the F228Be with its narrower baffle. The bass is close and with a good sub, you are looking at saving some $$$ that you can put towards the C426Be.

I’ve only heard the personas at Axpona and liked them. In this forum they get a little beat up like the B&Ws do.

OP
X

xirtam2005

I upgraded to the salon2 mainly because the salons were my dream end game speakers.

The F226Be would be a great option if don’t mind a smaller looking speaker…some say it’s even better than the F228Be with its narrower baffle. The bass is close and with a good sub, you are looking at saving some $$$ that you can put towards the C426Be.

I’ve only heard the personas at Axpona and liked them. In this forum they get a little beat up like the B&Ws do.
Personas are temperamental speakers. They made my ears bleed when fed with ESS Sabre DAC Benchmark DAC3 HGC and AHB2 - hyper transparent. They sounded MUCH MUCH better with Parasound Halo JC1 and Anthem STR PRE.

Top Bottom