• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel Performa3 F206 v Monitor Audio Silver 500 v KEF R7

• Thread starter Deleted member 28042
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 28042

I am going to upgrade my speakers sometime this year and I am curious what members here think about the following speakers. Do you have an opinion on any of these? I have a a Parasound Hint 6 integrated amplifier if that helps.
  • Revel Performa3 F206
  • Monitor Audio Silver 500
  • KEF R7

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome,
Do they come at the same price where you live?
Are you going to keep your amplifier?

OP
D

Deleted member 28042

I'm definitely keeping the Hint 6 integrated amp. Prices (in the U.S.) are as follows:
  • Revel Performa3 F206 - $1750. 00 each
  • Monitor Silver 500 - $1375.00 each
  • KEF R7 - $1999.00 each

Robh3606

Revel Performa3 F206

I own a pair and have them in my living room. Not best placement because for obvious constraints but they shine anyway. They are room friendly and well balanced. I also run them with a sub. IMHO they really do need one and it really improves them adding a more solid sub 50Hz response. They definitely deserve an audition.

Rob :)

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My recommendation would be the revel for orchestral music and the kefs for pop, rock where you may want more imaging.

hdkeith

Bumping this as I am in upgrade mode and these 3 are on my every changing short list. I use mostly home theater, but enjoy critical music listening of hi-rez music (FLAC/DSD, SACD, DVD-A, etc.) as well as all genres, classical, jazz, pop. I do have 7.2.2 setup in a room room that is 18' long, 14.5' wide and 8' tall. I have dual PSA V1800 subs that will remain as will (for now) my Klipsch RS-35/25 surrounds.

delta76

Major Contributor
What is your budget and where is your location? speaker price can be vastly different between US/EU so that's important question to ask
if you are in EU, you're in a treat. Summer sale is coming and you can buy Focal at very good price - even cheaper than the price listed above for a pair of 948 :)

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Revel for rooms that reward wide dispersion. KEF for rooms that reward narrower dispersion. I have not heard the Silver 500.

hdkeith

What is your budget and where is your location? speaker price can be vastly different between US/EU so that's important question to ask
if you are in EU, you're in a treat. Summer sale is coming and you can buy Focal at very good price - even cheaper than the price listed above for a pair of 948 :)
Sorry, US. I want to stay below $2K USD per speaker, and around $1K for the center. I honestly have been thinking about the Polk R700 as well, but the finish is weak so may look at the L600 as well. I have also been on the fence with Martin Logan 60XTi/50XTi.

Focal has been on and off my list as well. I am actually going to audition the Silver 500 7G and Focal 826 at a local dealer this weekend.

Last edited:

hdkeith

Revel for rooms that reward wide dispersion. KEF for rooms that reward narrower dispersion. I have not heard the Silver 500.

Hmm, I need to consider that as well. There are just 2 of us about 14 feet form the fronts of the speakers and the perfect triangle lands just between us, although I toe the speakers to my side since she does not appreciate good sound. I have a few things on the walls as unintended treatments and not sure they help of hurt reflections. the floor is carpeted. I do appreciate excellent imaging and accuracy and have heard the the Silvers lack some center imaging. The room is enclosed except for a 30 inch doorway to the rear side of our seating.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Sorry, US. I want to stay below $2K USD per speaker, and around $1K for the center.
If you’re looking for a matching center, it might be worth noting that Revel’s only 3-way center in that line is huge and expensive.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
If you’re looking for a matching center, it might be worth noting that Revel’s only 3-way center in that line is huge and expensive.
I think not. The C208 will be the matching center for the F206. Perhaps, you are thinking about the Be series.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Sorry, US. I want to stay below $2K USD per speaker, and around $1K for the center. I honestly have been thinking about the Polk R700 as well, but the finish is weak so may look at the L600 as well. I have also been on the fence with Martin Logan 60XTi/50XTi.

Focal has been on and off my list as well. I am actually going to audition the Silver 500 7G and Focal 826 at a local dealer this weekend.
I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of those two.

Also, I suggest you also audition the new-ish Sonus Faber Lumina V. I heard them at a dealer and those sounded pretty darn good @ $2,799/pair.

hdkeith

Yeah I was looking at that before, and curious if the C205 will be good enough, I wanted the C208, but it way too tall.

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I think not. The C208 will be the matching center for the F206. Perhaps, you are thinking about the Be series.
I suppose “huge” is relative. The c208 is about 75% bigger than my subwoofer. :)

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yeah I was looking at that before, and curious if the C205 will be good enough, I wanted the C208, but it way too tall.
I suppose “huge” is relative. The c208 is about 75% bigger than my subwoofer. :)
Yes, "huge" is relative. I have f206s for surrounds and my preference for center is simply another one of whatever is in use for L/R.

hdkeith

I'd be very interested to hear your impressions of those two.

Also, I suggest you also audition the new-ish Sonus Faber Lumina V. I heard them at a dealer and those sounded pretty darn good @ $2,799/pair.

I spent a bunch of time listening to Focal 826, 936 and Monitor Audio Silver 500 7G. The Focal i26 was a dude for me, bass too thin and when pushed hard the speakers had a hollow sound that I assume was the cabinets. The 936 was the other extreme the bass was boomy and muddy over powering the great highs. The Monitor Audios were great, but the sales person had me listen to the Gold 300 and that was awesome. It was out of my price league, but the Silver 500 held with the Holds except the highs on the Golds were more refine and smooth while being extremely detailed due to its ribbon tweeter. I went back and listened again and the Focals were a wash out for me. The sales person had me Liston the Focal Kanta, which was in the same league as the Go,d, but I preferred the Golds and Silver 500. Of all these speakers the Monitor Audio Silver 500 were the best bang for the buck. Right now I have added Ascend Acoutics Sierra Towers with RAAL, Arendale 1723 and the Martin Logan 60XTi.

After hearing the Martin Logan’s and MA Gold I am really interested in a ribbon based tweeter. The issue is surrounds and elevation speakers. Ascend surround options are basically a compromise, and due to space constraints I have the Martin Logan’s would limit me to the 4i which will probably be a disappointment. So as much as I want a ribbon based neither ribbon solution can give me matched surround or elevations. So that has me looking at the Arendale 1723 set up with their 1961 heights as surrounds or the Monitor Audio. Still going around in circles. Hope to decide in the next week.

Beave

Major Contributor
Nitpicking perhaps, but neither Martin Logan nor MA Gold use ribbon tweeters. They use AMTs, which are not the same thing as ribbons (though they are all too often referred to as ribbon tweeters).

hdkeith

Nitpicking perhaps, but neither Martin Logan nor MA Gold use ribbon tweeters. They use AMTs, which are not the same thing as ribbons (though they are all too often referred to as ribbon tweeters).

I know, just throwing them in a similar bucket since they produce similar impact on sound, not to offend the RAAL fans. My big hesitation on the Ascends is the woofer size. For example when I was demoing then Gold 300 I liked it a lot, but the price was high so we put the Gold 20 next to them for me to AB and I could immediately hear the bass just thin out such that I felt like it was a compromise. I am going back in a week to AB the 3 MA again and to pay attention to the differences between the 300 and 200 as that would help me understand what (in general) I would expect from the Ascend’s smaller woofer. Oddly the MS Silver 500 in bass was on par with the Gold 300 and might have actually been a tad more impactful. My guess the Gold 300 is set up so that the woofer is more laid back since the AMT is not as bright as the Silver. The Silver reminded me of the dynamics of my Klipsch. I would love to hear the Silver next to my Klipsch to see how it would sound, but Amy pretty sure the Silver tweeter, while is sounded clean and detailed, may be too close to my Klipsch in the high end.

Last edited:

muad

I know, just throwing them in a similar bucket since they produce similar impact on sound, not to offend the RAAL fans. My big hesitation on the Ascends is the woofer size. For example when I was demoing then Gold 300 I liked it a lot, but the price was high so we put the Gold 20 next to them for me to AB and I could immediately hear the bass just thin out such that I felt like it was a compromise. I am going back in a week to AB the 3 MA again and to pay attention to the differences between the 300 and 200 as that would help me understand what (in general) I would expect from the Ascend’s smaller woofer. Oddly the MS Silver 500 in bass was on par with the Gold 300 and might have actually been a tad more impactful. My guess the Gold 300 is set up so that the woofer is more laid back since the AMT is not as bright as the Silver. The Silver reminded me of the dynamics of my Klipsch. I would love to hear the Silver next to my Klipsch to see how it would sound, but Amy pretty sure the Silver tweeter, while is sounded clean and detailed, may be too close to my Klipsch in the high end.
If you're really worried about the woofer size on the ascends, there is an LX version of the tower planned using the new woofers. Those woofers are impressive!

Top Bottom