• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Revel M80XC Review (Outdoor Speaker)

musicforcities

@tmtomh @amirm
I think it's by design, too. An outdoor speaker is usually heard at a higher distance than an indoor one, so air absorption needs to be considered. Of course, out of axis is an issue as well.
Indeed. And often may be used at relatively low db given the area covered AND ambient outside noise levels so there maybe be a bit intentional boost to compensate

musicforcities

Do manufacturers of outdoor speakers take into account the dirt and gunk that will accumulate on the diaphragms of speakers used or left outside? Especially tweeters? Seems like that might affect response over time and initial brightness might fade

chrisjordan9

I'm stumped by the woofer and tweeter near-field response vs. spinorama FR: what "fills" the 300-1000Hz range to make the measured FR flat? The tweeter response looks to be quite low, and the woofer appears to be continually sloping down.
Is it possible that attempting to connect the two is a mistake?
By default, when you take a nearfield measurement, you don't account for baffle step. In comparison to the sub bass, the region around 1khz should be about 6 db lower. Before and after baffle step correction, this graphic displays a bass response (summed port+woofer, but it works for this purpose). There's no need to do that here because the NFS already provides you with the actual bass response, but it's occasionally interesting to observe how it works. I'm For this Forum. I need some more news.
Thanks

chrisjordan9

What "fills" the 300-1000Hz band to make the measured FR flat? I'm baffled by the woofer and tweeter near-field response vs. spinorama FR. The tweeter response appears to be poor, and the woofer appears to be sliding down all the time.
Is it conceivable that trying to link the two was a mistake?
When taking a nearfield measurement, you don't account for baffle step by default. The region around 1khz should be around 6 db lower in compared to the sub bass. This image shows a bass response before and after baffle step correction (summed port+woofer, but it works for this purpose). There's no need to do that here because the NFS already has the bass responses.

Last edited:

chrisjordan9

What "fills" the 300-1000Hz band, causing the measured FR to be flat? I'm perplexed by the woofer and tweeter near-field response compared to the Spinorama FR. The tweeter response appears to be poor, and the woofer appears to be constantly sliding down., check
Is it possible that attempting to connect the two was a mistake?
By default, when taking a nearfield measurement, you do not account for baffle step. The region around 1khz should be about 6 dB lower than the sub bass. This image depicts the bass response before and after baffle step correction (summarised port+woofer, but it serves the purpose). There's no need to do that in this case because the NFS already has bass responses.

Last edited:

chrisjordan9

What "fills" the 300-1000Hz band, causing the measured FR to be flat? I'm perplexed by the woofer and tweeter near-field response compared to the Spinorama FR. The tweeter response appears to be poor, and the woofer appears to be constantly sliding down., check
Is it possible that attempting to connect the two was a mistake?
By default, when taking a nearfield measurement, you do not account for baffle step. The region around 1khz should be about 6 dB lower than the sub bass. This image depicts the bass response before and after baffle step correction (summarised port+woofer, but it serves the purpose). There's no need to do that in this case because the NFS already has bass responses.
Good

Last edited:
Top Bottom