• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M55XC Outdoor Speaker Review

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
:) thanks share findings here..

Thanks to Amir's good work and wonder robot we can see on objective paper M55XC looks be a nice performer and for directivity pattern within the listening window its actual smoother than all the other Revel's tested so far. Based on Amir's anechoic spindata have a M55XC EQ string suggestion meant for farfield listening (not less than 2 meter), my EQ string use DI curve (directivity index) as policy and not so far from yours and TimVG as seen in below overlaid animation..
View attachment 108134

Here is the relative short string using 20 times PEQs that will correct my suggested filter as seen above :) plus two choices of acoustic textbook high pass knees that will need to be added to the 20 times PEQ string, for the 4th order Linkwitz Riley @80Hz HP acoustic filter the blue symbol means 2nd order active HP and for the 2nd order Linkwitz Riley @120Hz HP acoustic filter the red symbol means active shelving low pass, now i dont know how acoustic low pass settings is for your sub but remember or notice if its of 2nd order and you pick the 2nd order LR @120Hz below then satelite needs to have polarity flipped in Roon else one get a suchout at slopes center frequency because 2nd order minimum phase slopes alway need one of the passbands to be polarity flipped and think its most right its the satelite because if system needs to cooperate with other systems then its most right than a positive pulse will move subs cone forward instead of inward..
View attachment 108141

Finally here you have detailed predictions for the 3 choises, animation toggles, 1) out of box, 2) the 20 times PEQ string, 3) the 20 times PEQ string + acoustic HP LR 4th @80Hz, 4) the 20 times PEQ string + acoustic HP LR 2nd @120Hz, have best fun if you try it out :)..
View attachment 108150
Wow. A lot to digest.
-Interesting this little speaker has the best directivity of any Revel tested so far. When I sent it in, my thought was maybe it would be sealed, mountable M105. Out of the box of course the response doesn't look anything like the M105, but looks like with EQ, it isn't too far off. Pretty amazing for an outdoor speaker.
-Very cool to see my stab at eq with 2 filters by eyeballing it and surprisinly it doesn't look too bad. The animation showing all 3 eq's is very interesting as well. Will give @TimVG's EQ a try next. I need a bit of time to study your EQ to try as well.
-Does your EQ take into account boundry reinforcement? These are about 6 inches or so away from the wall. And about 2 feet from the corner of the room.
-I would like to do an RTA measurement of before/after with these EQ settings. But with the EQ settings in Roon, what is the easiest way to do that? Do I need a pink noise audio file and then use REW to record it?
Thanks again for taking the time. Fun little experiment while I wait for new main speakers.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is an uncorrected RTA measurement via moving microphone method measuring the 2 main listening positions. Speakers were slightly toed in.
M55XC-Plus-Subs-No Smooth.jpg

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wow. A lot to digest...
:) year our hobby of acoustic domain can be bit complicated and take some time.
...-Interesting this little speaker has the best directivity of any Revel tested so far...
Notice as written it was "directivity pattern within the listening window its actual smoother than all the other Revel's tested so far", some of the other Revel's can perform wider than M55XC but no one of them is as good as M55XC within the listening window that is a avarage of the nine directivities 0º/-10ºver/+10ºver/-10ºhor/+10ºhor/-20ºhor/+20ºhor/-30ºhor/+30ºhor, in below compressed animation there is a few of the tested Revels and now notice how M55XC run over the others in the upper five graphs in right column but also how some are wider than M55XC + M16 in the lower two graphs in right column, by the way they all EQed there with same EQ policy because it kind of normalize patterns so they easier to read and see whatever non ideal compromises exist..

Dj7675_9_x1x1x1x1x1x1x1_1000mS.gif

...-Very cool to see my stab at eq with 2 filters by eyeballing it and surprisinly it doesn't look too bad...
For sure a fine Eq string you made there.
...-Does your EQ take into account boundry reinforcement? These are about 6 inches or so away from the wall. And about 2 feet from the corner of the room...
No its pure anechoic textbook perfect targets, we can try out extract boundarys too but then suggest you tell me exactly distance to each and every boundary (normal is 6 boundarys per room) per left side and per right side and probably it should be done for the subs too, if we do that then filters will end up look very different and weird below say 500Hz, that said textbook anechoic perfect should not sound bad if those subs are within 1/4 wave distance or less to M55XC as satelites.
...-I would like to do an RTA measurement of before/after with these EQ settings. But with the EQ settings in Roon, what is the easiest way to do that? Do I need a pink noise audio file and then use REW to record it?...
Into REW using Generator icon one can output whatever tone or sweep to play into Roon and let REW listen or record it for offline use.
...Thanks again for taking the time. Fun little experiment while I wait for new main speakers
Welcome there and sorry in one get bit curius so what is next main speakers :)

BYRTT

Forum Donor
...Out of the box of course the response doesn't look anything like the M105, but looks like with EQ, it isn't too far off. Pretty amazing for an outdoor speaker...

Here is overlay those two Revel's EQed with same EQ policy :) admit M105 out of box is very good in its so close to below used EQ policy and port adds some low end extension but if we with the eye interpollate away low end to same as M55XC then in my view EQed M55XC looks the better one..

Dj7675_11_x1x1_1000mS.gif

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to Amir's good work and wonder robot we can see on objective paper M55XC looks be a nice performer and for directivity pattern within the listening window its actual smoother than all the other Revel's tested so far.

Indeed. I've mentioned this before, and I think it goes to along way to explaining the large discrepancy between Amir's subjective opinion and the objective performance. Easy to write off the golfing panther for a speaker like this as "Revel bias", but tonality is easily fixed with EQ(as Amir did), and more and more I'm starting to realize that what really matters is speaker directivity, which this speaker nails. As you pointed out, this speaker actually has better directivity than M106, F208, F328 etc., which means its EQability is outstanding. For someone willing to use full range EQ, this is an excellent speaker, and well deserving of the golfing panther(imo). The Olive score correctly judges the out of box performance, but fails to recognize how great this speaker is after EQ, again imo.

Last edited:

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Indeed. I've mentioned this before, and I think it goes to along way to explaining the large discrepancy between Amir's subjective opinion and the objective performance. Easy to write off the golfing panther for a speaker like this as "Revel bias", but tonality is easily fixed with EQ(as Amir did), and more and more I'm starting to realize that what really matters is speaker directivity, which this speaker nails. As you pointed out, this speaker actually has better directivity than M106, F208, F328 etc., which means its EQability is outstanding. For someone willing to use full range EQ, this is an excellent speaker, and well deserving of the golfing panther(imo). The Olive score correctly judges the out of box performance, but fails to recognize how great this speaker is after EQ, again imo.
Being objective minded agree so far and normal for me over in subjective department scenario also works there realworld but have to admit these Revel's tested here i haven't heard or even seen them real world anywhere, lately bought a brandnew new RME Quadmic preamp that can float on battery power to up measurement chain plus a pair of Q350 because they also looks really good in DI curve if one ignore port noice and diffraction in 500-2000Hz area, intension is to run Q350 sealed and add some temporary round overs and see where it can get them when high passed in 230-260Hz area so it move tweeters wave guide as little as possible, havent heard them Q350 yet but will report feedback over the Q350 review thread if any good findings comes out of it :)..

Here is Q350 synthetic EQed in overlaid comparison to out of box Genelec 8341A based on Amir's nice work and if that port noice and possible diffraction in 500-2000Hz can be improved it looks be a fun trial..
richard12511_x1x1_800mS.gif

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Welcome there and sorry in one get bit curius so what is next main speakers :)
My speakers on order (but got a bit delayer) would be 3 Revel C208’s situated below a 122inch screen angled up. But the delay got me thinking about the C426be......

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@BYRTT or anyone that knows how... what would be the olive score with EQ and with EQ with a sub? Maybe a trophy for MIS (most improved speaker) :)

BYRTT

Forum Donor
@BYRTT or anyone that knows how... what would be the olive score with EQ and with EQ with a sub? Maybe a trophy for MIS (most improved speaker) :)
MZKM and Maiky76 have software to calculate score myself have not, but a guess is around 5,5-6 for M55XC without sub using my EQ suggestion, guess is based M16 raw out of box is a 5,54 score and in EQed M55XC gets ideal smoother curves than raw M16 but less low end extension then the guess land there in 5,5-6 score area :)..

Overlaid animation EQed M55XC verse raw M16..
Dj7675_12_x1x1_1000mS.gif

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It started to get tricky doing eq in roon with 3 subs.. since it is hooked up to my Denon x8500, and with couple small tweaks with the app got the below with the M55XC and 3 subs. More importantly it sounds really good. Not good for an outdoor speaker, but actually really good. Couple of more small tweaks I could knock a few more of the humps out between 200-1k for fun.

@BYRTT thanks for pointing out to the "save to file" button in REW. I am using that to EQ the a few room modes in our living room for the F226be in the living room. The have sounded so good I haven't bothered but after measuring there was one very strong room mode around 150hz and the process worked really well.

m55xc plus subs aud on full.jpg

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It started to get tricky doing eq in roon with 3 subs.. since it is hooked up to my Denon x8500, and with couple small tweaks with the app got the below with the M55XC and 3 subs. More importantly it sounds really good. Not good for an outdoor speaker, but actually really good. Couple of more small tweaks I could knock a few more of the humps out between 200-1k for fun.

@BYRTT thanks for pointing out to the "save to file" button in REW. I am using that to EQ the a few room modes in our living room for the F226be in the living room. The have sounded so good I haven't bothered but after measuring there was one very strong room mode around 150hz and the process worked really well.

View attachment 108623

That looks fantastic! Bet it sounds great!

Reactions: EJ3

RJO

Will this work as a center channel in a small room, replacing a Paradigm MilleniaOne speaker? I wonder how these two compare to each other.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will this work as a center channel in a small room, replacing a Paradigm MilleniaOne speaker? I wonder how these two compare to each other.
In a small room with EQ, it is a nice little speaker. I would cross over around 100-120. Dialogue sounds really good on them when I was running a stereo pair.

nathan

I agree

I decided to check these out.

I set a pair in my untreated living room, where I usually use powered monitors with a sub, and busted out a simple integrated amp with subwoofer crossover and Anthem room correction.

I was surprised that even without the sub and without EQ they were mighty pleasing. Vocals, symphonic work, small combo Jazz were impressive. No there wasn’t enough heft to satisfy me on their own. But what they reproduced sounded excellent in my living room.

But I wouldn’t listen to any speaker without a subwoofer or two.

After a few measurments it became clear that a 150hz crossover was the sweet spot in my room.

So then I listened with the sub, and with the anthem eq doing its thing up to 5khz.

I’ve listened to quite a few fun (eg Magnepan) and well regarded (eg Triad) speakers in this room.

These dinky little outdoor speakers need make no apologies. They sound excellent when one uses their strengths (ie, adds a sub, allows room reflections to thrive, etc).

These appear to be engineered so well that the things one cannot change about a speaker (eg dispersion) are all good, and the things one can change (eg, subwoofer crossover, eq) can make a good sounding speaker work great when in a system.

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that I would see how they sound in stereo with subs. In my theater I had 3 M106‘s that I recently sold in anticipation for 3 new main speakers. They have had a bit of a delay, so I was without any front speakers. I have 6 of the M55XC as atmos speakers, so took 2 of them down and set up to listen to in stereo with subs to see how they sounded.
I have a Denon X8500 with an NAD M27 amp and 3 Rythmik L12
-Turned off Audyssey
-Raised crossover from 80 to 100hz
-Using roon/airplay 2 played some songs
It sounded very good. It sounded very detailed but didn’t really sound bright, harsh or annoying. Listened to a couple of songs of female vocals and it sounded really good. Switched to other types of music with more bass and it still sounded good still but just not balanced. By eyeballing the response, Decided to use Roon to apply some EQ. My complete amateur stab at EQ using roon:
View attachment 107990

They sounded absolutely amazing, at even loud volume (I was at -10). I was listening at around 11-12 feet away, tweeters slightly above ear level and about 9 feet apart. Still a little shocked at how good they sound even at pretty loud volumes. Couple of things:
Anyone care to post different eq settings? I’m sure they can be improved.
Would they be better to cross over @ 120hz?

One thing, in case anyone uses them after they have installed them on the wall... when you take them down, and play them loudly, the clamping mechanism inside that secures to the ball, will vibrate and “jingle”. Had to stuff it so it would vibrate/make noise. For a moment I though I thought I blew the tweeter!

nathan

And I guess given the criticisms and discussion about these speakers, one might surmise that if I like the way these sound, I'd be even more thrilled with larger Revels, right?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree

I decided to check these out.

I set a pair in my untreated living room, where I usually use powered monitors with a sub, and busted out a simple integrated amp with subwoofer crossover and Anthem room correction.

I was surprised that even without the sub and without EQ they were mighty pleasing. Vocals, symphonic work, small combo Jazz were impressive. No there wasn’t enough heft to satisfy me on their own. But what they reproduced sounded excellent in my living room.

But I wouldn’t listen to any speaker without a subwoofer or two.

After a few measurments it became clear that a 150hz crossover was the sweet spot in my room.

So then I listened with the sub, and with the anthem eq doing its thing up to 5khz.

I’ve listened to quite a few fun (eg Magnepan) and well regarded (eg Triad) speakers in this room.

These dinky little outdoor speakers need make no apologies. They sound excellent when one uses their strengths (ie, adds a sub, allows room reflections to thrive, etc).

These appear to be engineered so well that the things one cannot change about a speaker (eg dispersion) are all good, and the things one can change (eg, subwoofer crossover, eq) can make a good sounding speaker work great when in a system.
Glad you found them to your liking. At first glance from Amir's review it looks like wouldn't sound good at all... but a deeper look...
-The best directivity of any Revel speaker measured here
-Placed against or near a wall, much of the missing low end starts to disappear and they sound good
-With EQ and a sub, they sound excellent
-They handle power very well and can play loudly without compression
-For a small speaker, distortion is pretty good. Crossing them from 100-150hz will help this greatly
Mounted on a wall, with some EQ it is like an M105 which is an amazing accomplishment in my opinion for an outdoor speaker. It just shows that even with outdoor speakers Revel isn't "phoning it in"

nathan

Glad you found them to your liking. At first glance from Amir's review it looks like wouldn't sound good at all... but a deeper look...
-The best directivity of any Revel speaker measured here
-Placed against or near a wall, much of the missing low end starts to disappear and they sound good
-With EQ and a sub, they sound excellent
-They handle power very well and can play loudly without compression
-For a small speaker, distortion is pretty good. Crossing them from 100-150hz will help this greatly
Mounted on a wall, with some EQ it is like an M105 which is an amazing accomplishment in my opinion for an outdoor speaker. It just shows that even with outdoor speakers Revel isn't "phoning it in"

Yeah, in my room, the optimum crossover was 150hz.* I know that would be a non starter for some people, and in some rooms might be problematic. But it really works well.

I'd be curious to hear from people that have heard the Revel in wall speakers and whether they managed to so some similar magic, there. I would guess so.

--
*Obviously they have bass for approaching an octave lower than that, when there is boundary re enforcement, but in my room they are on a credenza and not nearly as close to a wall as they would be in the proper mounting position. But this is a temporary setup to test them out......and they are staying in this temporary setup until I decide what's next, and my powered monitors are collecting dust in the mean time.

seedragon

Forum Donor
This may or may not be helpful :) A couple of notes. When mounting atmos speakers you of course end up putting them in places that will make them measure worse that a speaker normally would when placing them ideally for stereo listening etc. For example front eight is in the literally at the top of the front wall at the ceiling. My top rear speakers are mounted above the second row and pointed at the main listening position. I have also had other speakers at these locations and measurements were much worse. Below is the mx55 at a few different locations ... front height, top rear, center, and front wide. When you put it in difficult places such as on ceiling and front height, the measurements aren't great as you would expect. However if you look at the center and front wide, you get pretty good results. I'm please with the results for my use as atmos speakers. Measurements are at my listening position, moving microphone method.
Edit: In particular on the front center location note the better bass extension getting down around 80hz. I can't locate the L/R measurements as they extended even further with more bass and had less high energy as I did not point them at the listening positing when measuring those locations. If you don't need a small speaker with an integrated mounting system to put it on a wall or ceiling, there wouldn't be a reason to get it over an M16 for example. But this speaker has a specific purpose.. to mount it on a wall or ceiling indoor or outdoor and it does that very well.

I'm getting ready to suspend speakers from my vaulted ceiling and have been considering the M55XC. But the lack of bass/mid-bass output gave me pause since they will be dropped 1.5-2' below the ceiling and get no boundary gain. Have you had any issues with creating a seamless sound field? Do you ever feel that you should have popped for the M80XC? I'm running F208, C208 in the front and F105 surrounds. Ideally, I'd like to cross them over at 80hz. Thanks

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm getting ready to suspend speakers from my vaulted ceiling and have been considering the M55XC. But the lack of bass/mid-bass output gave me pause since they will be dropped 1.5-2' below the ceiling and get no boundary gain. Have you had any issues with creating a seamless sound field? Do you ever feel that you should have popped for the M80XC? I'm running F208, C208 in the front and F105 surrounds. Ideally, I'd like to cross them over at 80hz. Thanks
I do get a very good atmos experience with them and am very happy. Am crossing them at 100hz and they are pretty close to the ceiling. My room is around 14x23 with 8ft ceilings in a basement. If you want to cross them around 80hz I would go for the m80xc for sure.
Edit: I should add 2 things: 1)I suspected I would have to cross them at 100-120 and was ok with that for height affect speakers. 2) I was surprised after Audyssey calibration it set them at 80hz (which I raised to 100).

Last edited:
Top Bottom