• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M55XC Outdoor Speaker Review

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then, please Amir, apply this criteria in the future for other speakers, too.
Anyway, I don‘t think this is the right way to go. With this argument you could justify almost every design sin. I can see a lot of golfing panthers coming...
With what argument? That outdoor speakers were meant to be mounted and used differently, and what you are accustomed to from CEA2034 interpretation is only calibrated to one specific scenario (indoors)? How is it more fair to interpret measurements differently/incorrectly vs the scenario in which the speakers are actually used?

If I understand Amir correctly, he’s saying that his subjective reviews will always be honest. If it sounds great and measures poorly, it’s better for him to report this honestly than to lie (i.e. to bias his subjective review with any particular expectation from the measurements), which it seems some of you are asking.

Like Amir said, why is this is so hard to understand?

It’s interesting to me the range of reactions when people’s beloved preference ratings don’t match subjective outcome: some (like me) are excited and energized, because this means there is potential for the objective science to improve. Others are dismayed or uncomfortable with the idea that science may need to adapt to new observations — preferring instead to grasp to comfortable old ways of modeling reality — with such extreme velocity (almost like a defense mechanism or immune response) that some demand that direct observational evidence (subjective listening tests) be changed to match their expectations, not vice versa!

I regularly see both mindsets in science and engineering (where I work), and I can promise you: the former mindset is the only one that yields genuine innovation and progress.

And in scientific philosophy, the latter mindset (unreasonable attachment to the status quo) is the blatantly incorrect mindset to hold here. It is a deeply unscientific worldview: that the existing status quo must be preserved at almost all costs, no matter what new evidence says (short of demanding a body of new evidence of a size that is completely unreasonable to demand of new science).

So much irony. When many of you read the old triumphant (and sometimes not) stories of progress from scientists hundreds of years ago, who were given an unfairly hard time by the traditionalists of their era (Galileo, even Einstein, and many others of course), I bet you laugh at the foolishness of those too stubborn and set in their ways to accept the possibility of scientific change and progress prior to the accumulation of undeniably overwhelming evidence conclusively establishing the new theory as the new canon. You probably rightly see those old fashioned traditionalists as being too stubborn and set in their ways to even entertain the possibility of a better model of reality. You probably realize that their demands for extreme levels of proof before even considering the new theory (if not outright rejection or change ever being possible) are unreasonable for a new theory, and accomplishes nothing but obstruction of the new science and the obsolescence of those unwilling to go with the flow of new science.

Yet I am not sure if you realize that you are exactly like all of those people throughout history who resisted scientific change. And no, you don’t get to retort “I’m open to change, I just need to see an equal weight of evidence as the old theory had”. If that were the criteria for new science, then nothing would ever change — because old ideas and old models will always have the benefit of age contributing to their greater set of evidence. It is unreasonable to demand that any new way of modeling reality be supported by more evidence than prior theories which have enjoyed the luxury of time to cement itself in ways new science can never possibly compare until it is no longer new science and becomes the new status quo.

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With what argument? That outdoor speakers were meant to be mounted and used differently, and what you are accustomed to from CEA2034 interpretation is only calibrated to one specific scenario (indoors)? How is it more fair to interpret measurements differently/incorrectly vs the scenario in which the speakers are actually used?

If I understand Amir correctly, he’s saying that his subjective reviews will always be honest. If it sounds great and measures poorly, it’s better for him to report this honestly than to lie (i.e. to bias his subjective review with any particular expectation from the measurements), which it seems some of you are asking.

It’s interesting to me the range of reactions when people’s beloved preference ratings don’t match subjective outcome: some (like me) are excited and energized, because this means there is potential for the objective science to improve. Others are dismayed or uncomfortable with the idea that science may need to adapt to new observations — preferring instead to grasp to comfortable old ways of modeling reality — with such extreme velocity (almost like a defense mechanism or immune response) that some demand that direct observational evidence (subjective listening tests) be changed to match their expectations, not vice versa!

I regularly see both mindsets in science and engineering (where I work), and I can promise you: the former mindset is the only one that yields genuine innovation and progress.

And in scientific philosophy, the latter mindset (unreasonable attachment to the status quo) is the blatantly incorrect mindset to hold here. It is a deeply unscientific worldview: that the existing status quo must be preserved at almost all costs, no matter what new evidence says (short of demanding a body of new evidence of a size that is completely unreasonable to demand of new science).

So much irony. When many of you read the old triumphant (and sometimes not) stories of progress from scientists hundreds of years ago, who were given an unfairly hard time by the traditionalists of their era (Galileo, even Einstein, and many others of course), I bet you laugh at the foolishness of those too stubborn and set in their ways to accept the possibility of scientific change and progress prior to the accumulation of undeniably overwhelming evidence conclusively establishing the new theory as the new canon. You probably rightly see those old fashioned traditionalists as being too stubborn and set in their ways to even entertain the possibility of a better model of reality. You probably realize that their demands for extreme levels of proof before even considering the new theory (if not outright rejection or change ever being possible) are unreasonable for a new theory, and accomplishes nothing but obstruction of the new science and the obsolescence of those unwilling to go with the flow of new science.

Yet I am not sure if you realize that you are exactly like all of those people throughout history who resisted scientific change. And no, you don’t get to retort “I’m open to change, I just need to see an equal weight of evidence as the old theory had”. If that were the criteria for new science, then nothing would ever change — because old ideas and old models will always have the benefit of age contributing to their greater set of evidence. It is unreasonable to demand that any new way of modeling reality be supported by more evidence than prior theories which have enjoyed the luxury of time to cement itself in ways new science can never possibly compare until it is no longer new science and becomes the new status quo.

I think focusing on whether or not a speaker was listened to the way it was designed is important, generally, but maybe not so much in this case. Even with the speaker up against the wall, the measurements are still quite poor, it least tonaly(directivity looks excellent). Moving them up against the wall does make the base a littler better, but makes the midrange a little worse. Hard to be certain, but from the looks of it, no matter which way you listen, this speaker should still sound quite poor, according to the Olive model. The key there is "according to the Olive model".

I trust Amir here when he says it sounded excellent up against the wall. I do believe he's giving his honest assessment, so I hope that my comments haven't been taken as critical of that part of his review. The goal of my comments was always to try to find some explanation as to why the Olive preference model fails in this instance. Prior to this, we kinda assumed it was distortion, but that's bad here, too. I think it might have something to do with the formula not assessing PIR perfectly. The PIR is really the most offensive looking part of these measurements, so I think it's likely where a big portion of the discrepancy comes from. Others have mentioned that maybe PIR should depend more on directivity, which intuitively makes sense. We saw a similar PIR objective/subjective discrepancy(though smaller in magnitude) with @hardisj review of the BMR, which has incredibly wide dispersion.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Then, please Amir, apply this criteria in the future for other speakers, too.
Anyway, I don‘t think this is the right way to go. With this argument you could justify almost every design sin. I can see a lot of golfing panthers coming...

Were there other speakers that should have been listened to near a wall, but weren't? Or are you talking about future reviews?

Putter

Forum Donor
They are usually garbage. The speakers used have to be sun and rain resistant. What makes the materials used somehow limited.

OTOH the only 3D soundfield I've ever gotten involved some inexpensive Yamaha outdoor speakers mounted on a pool deck. It probably says more about modern production techniques than the speakers, that you would get similar results with home speakers also.

Andreas007

What a reply! No need to get upset. My point was simply that there is a conflict in objective measurements and subjective impressions and the presentation on a website with major influence on the industry. The panther is first thing you see on ASR (I note that S stands for science), yet, it seems heavily influenced by subjective experience. I don‘t like that approach!
The panther can kill a product and subsequently a company behind it.
Therefore, it should represent the objective, measurable side of the review!
We can still read subjective impression in the text. But then it is clear to everyone.

If this speaker is so good why didn‘t get KH80 or Genelec 8341 a soccer panther?
Max. SPL? We all know! But isn’t that similar to the case we have here? One could argue that it is not the intended purpose of these speakers to play as loud as Amir wishes! Did they get a bonus for that? No, it was marked as weakness.

So, treating things differently on subjective impression is NOT science.
It‘s the same we got in all the magazines out there.

Suggestion:
No panther at all for products which could cause conflict of interest!

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
OTOH the only 3D soundfield I've ever gotten involved some inexpensive Yamaha outdoor speakers mounted on a pool deck. It probably says more about modern production techniques than the speakers, that you would get similar results with home speakers also.

With which record?

Putter

Forum Donor

I can think of a coupe of quotes to support your argument.

Isaac Asimov The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not “Eureka” but “That's funny...”

Arthur C. Clarke
  1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
  2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
  3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
For the first quote; that's funny the that Revel shouldn't sound good. Why does it when it doesn't correspond to carefully established criteria.

For the second; advances in Science usually come after great controversy, an example being plate tectonics. It had been pointed out that the continents fit together esp South America and Africa. Alfred Wegener proposed and expanded this theory in a 1915 book The Origin of Continents and Oceans . Distinguished scientists, such as Harold Jeffreys and Charles Schuchert, were outspoken critics of continental drift. Wikipedia

The 3rd law actually explains audiophiles. They have no understanding of the science of sound reproduction and audiology especially digital (neither do I to any great degree) so they indulge in magical thinking, if I hear it, it must be real without any attempt to find any other explanation such as bias expectation or volume differences.

I've gotten pretty far OT. I just liked the quotes and refreshing my recollection of them so I'll leave you with one more in reference to Einstein and proving the Theory of Relativity.

If my theory of relativity is proven correct, Germany will claim me as a German and France will declare that I am a citizen of the world. Should my theory prove untrue, France will say that I am a German and Germany will declare that I am a Jew.

Thanks for allowing me to ramble.

patate91

For the second; advances in Science usually come after great controversy, an example being plate tectonics. It had been pointed out that the continents fit together esp South America and Africa. Alfred Wegener proposed and expanded this theory in a 1915 book The Origin of Continents and Oceans . Distinguished scientists, such as Harold Jeffreys and Charles Schuchert, were outspoken critics of continental drift. Wikipedia

For now no science research has been done in this review.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
This was listening to the radio primarily.

Bad, couse iam realy interested what 3d soundstages are?
But ok fakt is sun(uv-light) can eat speaker fast if they are not build for. (Anekdote) Had a pair of Audax midrange in the car. Sicke startet to get porous after 3 Months. My foult was not a car speaker.

Edit says:sicke=surround sry

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For now no science research has been done in this review.
Some science has been done here. Perhaps just not as much as you'd like. Any data point (yes, even a subjective analysis) can contribute towards a scientific goal. The observation in isolation isn't very useful, but in aggregate all of these subjective impressions form a very useful set of data we can use to build a predictive model for via measurements. Even if such an effort only ends up modeling Amir's speaker preference, it's still science. Just because you don't care about the scope of a scientific analysis does not make it cease to be scientific. But even an accurate model of Amir's preference would be very interesting, because I'd bet more likely than not it will apply to more people than just Amir (at the very least).

I understand that you don't hold Amir's subjective review here with any respect or trust whatsoever, but that's your subjective opinion, isn't it? :) So as far as who is "doing science", I'd say you should look inward before ironically criticizing the operator of AudioScienceReview.com of not doing science.

Even if the individual value of this review's subjective impression is relatively small, it's still new data, and that makes it infinitely more valuable than the amount of new data you've contributed to this thread (zero).

bobbooo

Major Contributor

If the goal is to correlate the Olive score with subjective impressions, those impressions should be made under the same general conditions of the double blind tests the preference formula was devised from (indoors, not flush against a wall). A speaker sounding good yet scoring poorly when used way outside this scope does not invalidate Olive's model; it is in fact an invalid test of the model. If the goal however is to give one person's uncontrolled, sighted subjective impression of how a particular speaker sounds in its intended set-up, that's fine, but it's nothing more than that.

No-one's asking for that. In fact, the opposite was suggested - to listen to the speaker before looking at the measurements, in order to remove possible measurement expectation bias, which is just one of the many cognitive biases sighted listening tests are subject to, that Dr. Olive and his team eliminated by doing them double-blind.

Again, no-one's said that. (Did you mean ferocity by the way, not velocity? If so, I haven't seen anyone being 'ferocious' in this thread at all - just calm, rational arguments, at least up until this one of yours.)

This is not a question of engineering, it's a question of science. Engineering is concerned with getting something to 'just work' given a set of objectives, specifications and constraints. Science is concerned with uncovering truth and actual causal mechanisms via a robust method proven over centuries to weed out low quality and circumstantial evidence that can mislead to false conclusions.

Your depiction of both people's attitudes in this thread and the scientific process is not remotely accurate. Yes, we do get to use the phrase I've bolded, because that is one of the basic tenets of science - in order to invalidate a theory, at least the same standard of methodology must be used to the theory under question. If this wasn't the case, all the sciences would be an utter mess of speculative theories holding the same weight as those with mountains of hard methodological evidence behind them. In medicine, drugs would be approved left right and center without being properly trialed in double-blind tests to rule out irrelevant cofactors such as cognitive bias / placebo; homeopathy would be classed as science instead of pseudoscience; the standard model of particle physics would include hundreds of speculative elementary particles instead of the seventeen that have been confirmed to exist etc. etc. In fact experimental particle physics is rife with examples of evidence that has prima facie looked strong for the existence of new particles, reaching a confidence level of 3-sigma (99.7%), yet subsequently found to be mere statistical blips. This is precisely why they even do blind statistical analysis and require 5-sigma confidence for evidence to qualify as a scientific discovery. Even 6-sigma events have turned out to be false due to systematic errors, which was realised in part due to the mountain of 'status quo' evidence contrary to the result. As this erroneous result shows, poor data does not necessarily cumulatively add to the body of scientific knowledge; in fact it can be damaging in that it will lead us to false conclusions, if left unchecked and not subject to strict scientific standards. And the likely reason they initially overlooked this relatively basic systematic error involving faulty cabling? They got carried away with the prospect of making the discovery of the century that would have turned their field on its head and disproved Einstein. Humility is one of the greatest assets in science, and hubris one of the most dangerous vices. For every Galileo and Einstein, there are countless people holding speculative ideas that have not borne confirmation through scientific evidence - your argument suffers from severe selection bias. Of course, I'm not saying audio science should necessarily be held to the same high standards as particle physics, but a scientific methodology of the same standard as the theory being questioned should at least be attempted if any claims of the latter being invalidated are to be made. This does not mean casual observations necessarily have zero utility, but that utility can at best only be suggestive of avenues to properly investigate scientifically, and is in no way science itself.

Last edited:

cistercian

Forum Donor
I find the results unsurprising. I admit to being a Dr. Toole fan as well as being a Harmon group fanboy.
I have had great luck with their products. I am also a Lansing fan as well.

This company makes fantastic speakers. And I love their professional equipment...epic.

Great review!

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My point was simply that there is a conflict in objective measurements and subjective impressions and the presentation on a website with major influence on the industry.
The objective measurements are not necessarily in conflict with the subjective impression. Popular interpretations of the objective measurements (e.g. the Olive preference score is one such interpretation) are in conflict with the subjective impression.

Why do you see this as a problem, if the subjective impressions are honest? Would you prefer the subjective impressions be honest, or that they conform to what you (someone who I presume has not heard the speaker) want them to say irrelevant of whether that would be honest or dishonest?

Last edited:

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, we do get to use the phrase I've bolded, because that is one of the basic tenets of science - in order to invalidate a theory, at least the same standard of methodology must be used to the theory under question. If this wasn't the case, all the sciences would be an utter mess of speculative theories holding the same weight as those with mountains of hard methodological evidence behind them.
I definitely agree with you here. In fact I think I agree with everything you just wrote, and as a result I’m thinking perhaps this is all a natural misunderstanding due to different expectations / assumptions about what these review are actually claiming.

I don’t think anyone is seriously claiming that this single review (or any other handful of others on this site) conclusively disproves the Olive score, or conclusive proves that the parameters under which it operates/applies are wrong.

I think all that anyone hopes for here is for the subjective impressions to not be dismissed outright as having zero value. Aside from how insulting that is to accuse Amir of, it’s just objectively incorrect to say it has zero value — just as incorrect as it would be to say that this single review has suddenly conclusively disproved all existing speaker science.

Of course to consider a new theory a replacement to an old, we need equal scientific methods and perhaps equal weight of data to back it up before the new hypotheses graduate to the next level of widespread acceptance. Again, I don’t think anyone is trying to argue otherwise.

The are several hypotheses for alternate models that might be more successful than the Olive score. Again, I am not saying that the Olive score mode is conclusively invalidated, or that any alternate model has been conclusively proven

All I am saying is that there is too much low-effort drive-by dismissal going around here trying to portray the subjective part of this review as having zero value. It’s all too easy to post low effort quips like “no science has been done here”. That adds nothing constructive. Even reasonable argument as to there being any value in the subjective impressions (e.g. blind vs sighted) have been repeated endlessly over and over and over on every review. I’m not sure what anyone hopes to accomplish by repeating such things again. Do you think maybe that Amir, upon seeing the criticism for the 173,729th time, will suddenly have an epiphany and decide to change things?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The objective measurements are not necessarily in conflict with the subjective impression. Popular interpretations of the objective measurements (e.g. the Olive preference score is one such interpretation) are in conflict with the subjective impression.

Why do you see this as a problem, if the subjective impressions are honest? Would you prefer the subjective impressions be dishonest, to confirm what you (someone who I presume has not heard the speaker) want them to say?

For me, the fact those measurement interpretations are at odds with the subjective impressions is what keeps me interested in this thread. Speakers that measure great and sound great are kinda boring to talk about, as are speakers that measure bad and sound bad. We've seen a bunch of those types of speakers. However, reviews of speakers that measure bad but sound great(this one, Canon S-50), or those that measure great but sound bad(KEF Q350, KEF R3, S400) are the reviews I enjoy reading most. Those edge cases where the science starts to break down are the cases with the most potential to advance loudspeaker design. Those other cases merely reinforce what we already believe to be true.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For me, the fact those measurement interpretations are at odds with the subjective impressions is what keeps me interested in this thread. Speakers that measure great and sound great are kinda boring to talk about, as are speakers that measure bad and sound bad. We've seen a bunch of those types of speakers. However, reviews of speakers that measure bad but sound great(this one, Canon S-50), or those that measure great but sound bad(KEF Q350, KEF R3, S400) are the reviews I enjoy reading most. Those edge cases where the science starts to break down are the cases with the most potential to advance loudspeaker design. Those other cases merely reinforce what we already believe to be true.
Exactly! This, to me at least, is the most exciting kind of review :)

Therefore I don't understand why so many people, upon seeing these results, seem very keen to jump to the conclusion that the subjective portion is completely flawed, wrong, useless, with absolutely zero scientific value.

Nobody is seriously arguing that the subjective portion of this review has infinite value and can suddenly disprove all of psycho-acoustics in a single day! As absurd as that would be, it's equally absurd to assume the subjective impression has zero value here. And yes, some people are claiming this with statements like "no science research has been done in this review".

That the subjective impression has zero value is such a boring and pessimistic assumption. To some extent, I suppose I understand why someone may favor it: it is often more comfortable to ignore the potential of our current models being wrong. But it is almost always wrong to assume that your current models cannot be improved. This does not contradict the fact that new theories are more likely to be wrong than right; it just means that if you never entertain new theories and explore them, all you will ever accomplish is a self-fulfilling prophecy in which you steer your data to only that which confirms your existing model.

Last edited:

patate91

Exactly! This, to me at least, is the most exciting kind of review :)

Therefore I don't understand why so many people, upon seeing these results, seem very keen to jump to the conclusion that the subjective portion is completely flawed, wrong, useless, with absolutely zero scientific value.

Nobody is seriously arguing that the subjective portion of this review has infinite value and can suddenly disprove all of psycho-acoustics in a single day! As absurd as that would be, it's equally absurd to assume the subjective impression has zero value here. And yes, some people are claiming this with statements like "no science research has been done in this review".

That the subjective impression has zero value is such a boring and pessimistic assumption. To some extent, I suppose I understand why someone may favor it: it is often more comfortable to ignore the potential of our current models being wrong. But it is almost always wrong to assume that your current models cannot be improved. This does not contradict the fact that new theories are more likely to be wrong than right; it just means that if you never entertain new theories and explore them, all you will ever accomplish is a self-fulfilling prophecy in which you steer your data to only that which confirms your existing model.

So tell me what the research is? What's the protocol?

I can measure some pieces of wood and make shelves to put my CDs but I'm no carpenter.

BYRTT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Gentlemen objective modeled will insist Amir listened to a super good integrated build in M55XC and probably therefor rated it so high, the smooth directivity index is a indicator but admit the out of box raw analyze response is not the most lucky for score point up for preference rating list and so much talk there is about having the super right tonality at place at this domain admit it can look strange Amir was so happy, but still think that is because integration of this two wayer is super. That was what i think and many has told what they think so now some objective comparisons for M55XC, although they modeled they should be good enough and based on that anechoic Klippel analyze..

Polar_spinorama_verse_Genelec_1x1x-1200mS.gif

Polars the okay sounding Behringer B2030P with a score of 3,03 verse 2,2 score M55XC, please notice all of them are set to normalized..
Polar_normalized_verse_Behringer_2x1x-1000mS.gif

Spinorama views same Behringer B2030P verse M55XC, exercise is look up for deviations and avarage of deviations to the varius ideal textbook targets at the same time, on axis say itself, CTA2034 liswin is horizontals of 0º/-10º/+10º/-20º/+20º/-30º/+30º and verticals of -10º/+10º, and as help there is a overlaid 1 pixel thin textbook target curve for PIR and power reponse..
Polar_spinorama_verse_Behringer_2x1x-1000mS.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom