• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M55XC Outdoor Speaker Review

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might these make good surrounds with M16s as main speakers? I'm using Polk Signature s10s now for surrounds.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes. Couple of considerations…
-they will probably need a little full rage eq. Although if placed against a wall may not
-if speakers are large distance away from main listening position they will require quite a bit of power as their sensitivity is around 85dB.
-they need to have crossover in the 120hz range which could make subwoofers a little locateable.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
-they will probably need a little full rage eq. Although if placed against a wall may not
-if speakers are large distance away from main listening position they will require quite a bit of power as their sensitivity is around 85dB.
-they need to have crossover in the 120hz range which could make subwoofers a little locateable.
Those are helpful considerations. Thank you.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

I was thinking you meant "range", but suppose it depends upon the music... :)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Might these make good surrounds with M16s as main speakers? I'm using Polk Signature s10s now for surrounds.

Sonically yes. The one issue to consider is they stick out a bit from the wall on the mount. So I personally would prefer something that hugs the wall. (We use JBL CBT50/100 on the JBL flush mount bracket.) For height speakers in an immersive system they may be the best thing out there right now.

We finally had our M55XC installed in the courtyard between our home and garage, with a Polk planter-sub to fill in the low end. The M55XC are mounted high and angled down. Despite the relatively low power (all powered by a 4-channel Parasound Zamp, 50x4 I think) it’s some of the nicest sound I’ve heard outdoors.

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But can you actually use the ball mount for the ceiling? I think you'd have to turn the speaker sideways but then you compromise on directivity.
You are correct...
-You can use the short included mount on the ceiling, but do have to go horizontal instead of vertical. This of course does compromise directivity as you noted. But the M55XC looks to have around a total of 60 degrees total to work with, so by aiming the speakers it works pretty well.
-Or you can use JBL mtc-28-25cm which is the ceiling adapter for JBL speakers which use the same invisiball system. With the ceiling adapter you can hang the M55XC or the larger M80XC from the ceiling and have them oriented normally (vertically). I bought a pair of these and they work nicely. Just in case anyone else is considering the M55XC or M80XC and wanting to mount them on ceiling...

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You are correct...
-You can use the short included mount on the ceiling, but do have to go horizontal instead of vertical. This of course does compromise directivity as you noted. But the M55XC looks to have around a total of 60 degrees total to work with, so by aiming the speakers it works pretty well.
-Or you can use JBL mtc-28-25cm which is the ceiling adapter for JBL speakers which use the same invisiball system. With the ceiling adapter you can hang the M55XC or the larger M80XC from the ceiling and have them oriented normally (vertically). I bought a pair of these and they work nicely. Just in case anyone else is considering the M55XC or M80XC and wanting to mount them on ceiling...
That is reasonably priced per pair.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That is reasonably priced per pair.
I found them very reasonable as well and they work really well. For those wanting a less expensive atmos speaker option with even more mounting options, the JBL control 25-1, 28-1 and 25av as well. In addition to the invisiball they have a u-mount option but it is more expensive. I wish revel had also used all the same optins as JBL mounts but at least the Revel's have the included wall mount and a reasnable ceiling mount.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These speakers are meant to be mounted horizontally? I just realized that's probably the case. I also realized that the revel logo on the speaker can be adjusted horizontally or vertically...I think I just assumed that they were supposed to be vertical due to the default orientation of the Revel logo.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
These speakers are meant to be mounted horizontally? I just realized that's probably the case. I also realized that the revel logo on the speaker can be adjusted horizontally or vertically...I think I just assumed that they were supposed to be vertical due to the default orientation of the Revel logo.

Vertically is how I mounted my M80XCs and is how I have seen them mounted is most of the pictures.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Vertically is how I mounted my M80XCs and is how I have seen them mounted is most of the pictures.
Then I must be misunderstanding these measurements:
1665593974372.png

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Then I must be misunderstanding these measurements: View attachment 236778
The measurements show dispersion (radiation pattern) in the horizontal and vertical direction with the speaker mounted "normally". It is not the speaker orientation per se, it is how the sound radiates from the speaker in the horizontal and vertical direction. It was tested oriented vertically, tweeter on top and woofer on the bottom, using @amirm's Klippel 3-D measurement system.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The measurements show dispersion (radiation pattern) in the horizontal and vertical direction with the speaker mounted "normally". It is not the speaker orientation per se, it is how the sound radiates from the speaker in the horizontal and vertical direction.
Whew...OK...Thanks for the clarification! I have other outdoor speakers that mount horizontally and I had a moment there.

Top Bottom