• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

muad

Damn, well just by going off those graphs I would choose the Revels, I really have a hard time with too much energy in the 2 to 5 khz region. I'd be curious to see how your measurements would translate to a spin.

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It would be interesting to get an evoke through the klippel. Apparently it was the first speaker developed with dynaudios new Jupiter anechoic chamber. See youtube. Looks the business.

Not bad measurements, would expect the evoke 20 a closer match to the m16 as you said, the woofer perhaps giving a low end lift thus making the mids line up better.

akarma

How did you make these measurements? Not saying about it gives little sense to graphs.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Fun to see that below 200hz only the room matters, they both match each other almost perfectly.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Frans, do you have measurements of L/R playing alone? A pair has comb filtering which is hidden by 1/6 smoothing here. Bass response will be different too. Most likely a single speaker is more flat above 6kHz.

QMuse

Major Contributor
So for fun (or because of cabin fever) I ran quick measurements to compare my Dynaudio Evoke 10s to my new Revel M16s. Please note, this is the most rudimentary comparison possible. I used REW and a UMIK mic but this is all from a single source. Don't take this for more than what it is.

The speakers are part of my second, living room system, which my partner has graciously allowed me to have. For the set up I wanted to make the best bang for the buck system I could as a fun project. It consists of a Hypex NC252MP kit, an SMSL M500 DAC, a Chromecast Audio, and formerly the Evokes. I ordered the M16s a week before the ELACs were reviewed, the latter which would have fit better with the theme, even though I am not a fan of its aesthetics.

So in addition to the fact that these are barely acceptable measurements and that I am comparing a 6.5" woofer to a 5.5" one, the speakers are in a sub-optimal position up against the wall by a staircase cornering the area. The low end measurements will be ugly. I position them better and use some DSP when I play them, but as I am not going to test my partner's patience, I normally just have them by wall.

Still, as we have the measurements of the M16 as a sort of control, perhaps there are clues to the voicing of the Evoke 10s that you may find useful. They seem to share a similar bass boost with the Revels--though I am not good at reading these measurements, which is why I am presenting them to you for fun. But again, don't take this too seriously. I hope Amir gets to review the Evokes one day.

So have at it.

View attachment 56765View attachment 56765View attachment 56766View attachment 56767

Very interesting!

Can you please repeat this measurement from the distance of app 1.2m with one speaker playing and post mdta file? (change .mdat extension to .txt)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fun to see that below 200hz only the room matters, they both match each other almost perfectly.
Why not below 500 Hz? It's more where the oscillations begin.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I mentioned this at the beginning of the post. With REW and a UMIK-1. Both measurements were taken from the same location. One measurement each, from center. If you are looking for more specifics, the mic was located about 7 feet away from the speakers. Speakers were positioned on the same stands. These are not serious measurements, but the Revel ones align more or less with Amir's if one takes into account that the room will profoundly affect the lower region. Pattern is there, which is nice to see.

Did you measure to make sure the tweeters were in exactly the same position, and that the cabinets had exactly the same amount of toe? A fraction of an inch in position or a few degrees can make a huge difference. Move the mic around and shoot a few sweeps at different positions to see what I mean.

I have Dynaudio Excite X14s and X18s that I'm trying to justify paying to ship to Amir. (We do have a pandemic going on...) I would love to see the X14 measurement compared to Stereophile's (the speaker does not sound like the graph in my room):

1014DX14fig3.jpg

We do see more energy between 2 and 4K, as in your measurement, however.

I may get bored this weekend and compare my X14s, X18s, and LS50s in my room as a comparison to each other and to yours just for fun. I need to try the moving mic method anyway.

Todd74

Did you measure to make sure the tweeters were in exactly the same position, and that the cabinets had exactly the same amount of toe? A fraction of an inch in position or a few degrees can make a huge difference. Move the mic around and shoot a few sweeps at different positions to see what I mean.

I have Dynaudio Excite X14s and X18s that I'm trying to justify paying to ship to Amir. (We do have a pandemic going on...) I would love to see the X14 measurement compared to Stereophile's (the speaker does not sound like the graph in my room):

1014DX14fig3.jpg

We do see more energy between 2 and 4K, as in your measurement, however.

I may get bored this weekend and compare my X14s, X18s, and LS50s in my room as a comparison to each other and to yours just for fun. I need to try the moving mic method anyway.
Do you perform this comparison yet? I’m curious as a loving X18 owner myself. Thinking about getting a third one for my center channel.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Do you perform this comparison yet? I’m curious as a loving X18 owner myself. Thinking about getting a third one for my center channel.

Not exactly. I did get to shoot a couple sweeps of my X18s as they sit. And, well, that 2K to 4K energy is indeed there! Along with some extra energy above 10K.

I have the typical room modes below about 300 Hz and do not have any room correction activated for these measurements. I also spent almost no time on speaker placement before taking the measurement. That is on my TODO list.

Dynaudio X18 with and without Port Plugs.png

Last edited:

Todd74

Not exactly. I did get to shoot a couple sweeps of my X18s as they sit. And, well, that 2K to 4K energy is indeed there! Along with some extra energy above 10K.

I have the typical room modes below about 300 Hz and do not have any room correction activated for these measurements.
View attachment 75916
So you likey?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Yes. I love these speakers.

Here are the X14s in the same room, but measured from on a different day, therefore different mic position. Stand position was a little different too, as was toe angle. The speakers were moved around and tuned by ear: some effort was spent on the placement of these.

I could mess with both pairs for days to dial them in.

Overall, I like the overall tonality of the X14s somewhat better, but the scale and command of the X18s is quite superior. The X14s with room correction and a sub or two might be really special. Too bad I don't have room for a sub in my study.

Again these are just random sweeps with minimal setup. I have a lot of work left to do with this system in this room. These measurements should NOT be considered representative or definitive.

Study Treated Frequency Response Psy.png

Last edited:

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are some sweeps of my X12s v Salk Song Surrounds. The X12s have a bot of a boost in the 3-10k range, but don’t sound excessively bright.

4EF235BD-E840-469B-A727-C7507B4C8383.jpeg

Todd74

Yes. I love these speakers.

Here are the X14s in the same room, but measured from on a different day, therefore different mic position. Stand position was a little different too, as was toe angle. In both cases, the speakers were moved around and tuned by ear.

I could mess with both pairs for days to dial them in.

Overall, I like the overall tonality of the X14s somewhat better, but the scale and command of the X18s is quite superior. The X14s with room correction and a sub or two might be really special. Too bad I don't have room for a sub in my study.

Again these are just sweeps. I have yet to use the MMM in this room.

View attachment 75918
Do you think the X14’s would be overkill as side surrounds in a home theater?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Do you think the X14’s would be overkill as side surrounds in a home theater?

Absolutely overkill.

I have experimented with surrounds for years. When I built my current house, I installed Polk RTi in-walls, as I have found the surrounds barely matter, and timbre matching is very much overrated marketing mumbo jumbo. Tight integration in terms of placement, level, crossover frequency is much more important. If you want to stay with Dynaudio, M10s would be more than enough.

Todd74

Absolutely overkill.

I have experimented with surrounds for years. When I built my current house, I installed Polk RTi in-walls, as I have found the surrounds barely matter, and timbre matching is very much overrated marketing mumbo jumbo. Tight integration in terms of placement, level, crossover frequency is much more important. If you want to stay with Dynaudio, M10s would be more than enough.
The X14a’s are the same price as the M10’s. That’s why I ask. You get the X14 but you also get some of the AVR’s power offloaded, right?...so that way more power can be used elsewhere [center, rear, and ceiling]? Not sure of the logistics though- volume calibration or if it interferes w/ Audyssey.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I suppose that is all true. You have to contend with long runs of signal cable and accommodate power requirements with the actives.

My home theater has an AVR connected to an external stereo amp for the front pair, and all speakers are crossed at 80Hz. The AVR amps drive the center, side, and rear surrounds, so it already has a lot of load removed from it. I find that to be enough for it to sound good, but YMMV of course.

Top Bottom