• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

maty

Major Contributor
https://www.audioholics.com/bookshelf-speaker-reviews/revel-concerta2-m16/measurements

M16responsecurves.jpg

revelfinal2d.jpg

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/revel-concerta2-m16-speaker-system-review-test-bench

CJ Miller

Forum Donor
When you talk about a pair of speakers ive been anxious to try since I already own the infinity reference R162. These are among the top.

dukanvadet

Forum Donor
I get the impression by wording and the panther that you like these better than the genelecs? Why?/Why not?

Will be interesting to see how they compare to the much cheaper Kali Lp-6

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it possible to EQ the bump centered at 120 Hz?

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's unfortunate that bass hump doesn't start just a little bit lower, so it could be avoided via ~80Hz crossover. When used without a subwoofer, I imagine these sound great for their size, and that hump probably helps compensate for lack of true low end response.

D

Deleted member 9286

@amirm

Nice review, thanks. Great to see the measurements of these speakers being verified.

Any plans to review and measure the M106? Given it’s reputation and some of the wonderful things said about it, I would love to see how it performs in your tests.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Looks great, though I would like to see it do better on the distortion side. Is it ok to compare to the Adam S2V? Please note different y-scale.
S2V dist rel.png
Revel M16 dist rel.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree. IMO anything above 0.5% THD above 100Hz falls into less-than-stellar cathegory of THD performance.
Especially when its due to an odd (3rd, 5th etc) component as those sound much nastier than the even ones.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I get the impression by wording and the panther that you like these better than the genelecs? Why?/Why not?

Will be interesting to see how they compare to the much cheaper Kali Lp-6
At first I thought it was a clear case of bias, but after going back to the Genelec review I realised that the lack of dynamic capability in the Genelecs is holding it back.

I'm actually a little fascinated that there is a good deal of constant directivity in the Revels, as shown by the flat directivity index between 1800-12000 hz.

This could be a good speaker to check whether or not a constant directivity design is preferable over a more gradual increasing one in smaller spaces. Don't sell these @amirm.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
At first I thought it was a clear case of bias, but after going back to the Genelec review I realised that the lack of dynamic capability in the Genelecs is holding it back.
Only in the deep bass, above that the Genelec distortion behaviour is significantly superior as it can be seen from both distortion plots.

maty

Major Contributor
Especially when its due to an odd (3rd, 5th etc) component as those sound much nastier than the even ones.

That was a decisive factor for me to buy, seven years ago, the KEF Q100 after reading hardisj's analysis of them and the KEF LS50.

I do not like the distortion graphics of the Revel woofer. Many are unable to look beyond the frequency response.

I also have it very much in mind with the amplifiers.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Only in the deep bass, above that the Genelec distortion behaviour is significantly superior as it can be seen from both distortion plots.
A speaker can be spl limited by other things than out of distortion considerations. Amplifier power, thermal limiting, thermal compression, excursion protection etc.

I agree about distortion superiority, but I don't know if/how relevant that is to sound quality in an absolute sense. My guess is that it's far down the list of important things, but frequency response and dynamic capability is up there imo.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
With Samsung ownership, it is not easy to get evaluation units anymore so I will have to buy them to test.

Understood.
A wild idea: maybe you can make a list of top5 most promising speakers that you think are a really good investment of your time and money and allow members to chip in with cash for those that they'd like to see bought & tested. Given that you need only a single speaker and even a single tower can have a good resell value, it would probably take just 10-20 members with $50 each to cover the majority of the cost for a good mid-tier speaker. I'm definitely in for 2-3 speakers now and more later. As a side benefit you'll know what your audience really wants to see the most. Voting with money is the best voting. Cheers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom