• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

MarkS

Major Contributor
Haha really? Just can't get this right
Really.

Once you understand that modern electronics are all essentially perfect, you will save a lot of money with no sacrifice in sound quality.

But you have to have the mental toughness to resist the audiophool mentality that insists otherwise, and that holds sway everywhere but here at ASR.

chang

Really.

Once you understand that modern electronics are all essentially perfect, you will save a lot of money with no sacrifice in sound quality.

But you have to have the mental toughness to resist the audiophool mentality that insists otherwise, and that holds sway everywhere but here at ASR.
I hear ya. So basically get the Aiyima and enjoy... thanks

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Haha really? Just can't get this right
Pre amps may sound different, but generally same class amps and dacs are going to be " transparent " vs others in general use , within the limits of performance...

MarkS

Major Contributor
Pre-amps sound the same too. Try your own blind listening test if you don't believe it.

You will need a friend to switch the two (or more) preamps under test, and to adjust the volume according to your verbal instructions (louder, quieter). Volume should start at a randomly selected level with each trial.

(This is all to avoid one pre-amp being consistently louder than another; the louder one will almost always sound "better".)

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pre-amps sound the same too. Try your own blind listening test if you don't believe it.

You will need a friend to switch the two (or more) preamps under test, and to adjust the volume according to your verbal instructions (louder, quieter). Volume should start at a randomly selected level with each trial.

(This is all to avoid one pre-amp being consistently louder than another; the louder one will almost always sound "better".)
i believe you...:)

chang

Really.

Let me ask you... if I wanted/needed more power, could I use the A07 (as a mono) and run one per speaker, or is this not an ideal way? Wonder how I would dial in the volume to match.

I only ask since this would seem to be the best bang for the buck, while still buying something with a good reputation.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I'm not personally familiar with the A07. Some stereo amps are "bridgeable" and can be run with full power as mono amps, I don't know if the A07 is or not.

But, as I've been trying to convince you, you're overthinking this. Any amp is fine, all will be soncially identical. Get a UMIK1 and learn how to use REW to help optimize speaker placement. THAT will be WAY more productive in yielding good sound that worrying about nonexistent differences in amplifier electronics.

iNetRunner

I only ask since this would seem to be the best bang for the buck, while still buying something with a good reputation.
Best “bang for buck” power amplifiers at the moment are going to be Buckeye (for Hypex module based products), or Emotiva for class AB power amplifiers. Maybe Emotiva BasX A2 is within your budget.

chang

Best “bang for buck” power amplifiers at the moment are going to be Buckeye (for Hypex module based products), or Emotiva for class AB power amplifiers. Maybe Emotiva BasX A2 is within your budget.
I was considering those, but the poster I was responding to makes the argument that power is power, and should exhibit no difference between brands (if it's a good amp). I tend to agree with him, but admit having very little knowledge on the matter

iNetRunner

I was considering those, but the poster I was responding to makes the argument that power is power, and should exhibit no difference between brands (if it's a good amp). I tend to agree with him, but admit having very little knowledge on the matter
What I listed are pretty much the cheapest around (without considering ChiFi brand). Also, while Amir hasn’t measured any of the current A range Emotiva BasX amplifiers, the previous versions measured only “just OK” — but people generally appear to like them.

pbc

Curious, do these speakers have any mounting inserts in the bottom for stands?

pbc

Yes they do. I also have a pair for sale with stands in SF in case you'd be interested. :)
Have a pic of the bottom by chance? Is it one insert in the middle or multiple?

Unfortunately I’m up in Canada / East coast.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Annoyingly, the stands are impossible to buy in the UK.
It's possible maybe to get some inexpensive stands with flat top plates that can be drilled to the pattern.
I just used a quad pattern of 4 nice blobs of Blue Tack, works just about as good with no drilling or anything. :p

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I use Ultimate MS-90s with my Revels. You can fill them with sand or shot.

34AE7C86-0F65-4522-9332-BF06CD6037FA.jpeg

6F2D7EC4-3FEB-44CE-A081-317F03006A4E.jpeg

Duffy Moon

It's possible maybe to get some inexpensive stands with flat top plates that can be drilled to the pattern.
I just used a quad pattern of 4 nice blobs of Blue Tack, works just about as good with no drilling or anything. :p
Maybe. I just know that if I did that, it wouldn't work very well! Also, the proper stands match the style (important for GAF!).

Duffy Moon

FWIW, I created a mounting plate to adapt them to the wall mounts I had my JBL 708p's attached to... they work great!

Those 1/4"-20 thread screws are super common too.
My partner would not be happy with either wall mounts or homemade mounting plates. Those screws may be common in the US, but probably not in the rest of the (metric) world! To be fair, I haven't checked UK availablity.

Top Bottom