• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry I'm into revel speakers. My center and surrounds are also revel so they are all tuned evenly in my room.
Nothing wrong with that...edit: it's just gonna cost more for the same level of performance...

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can start with the M106, buy from Crutchfield, you'll have a 60 day trial period, and if you don't like them, return them, and get the Be speakers. Gives you plenty of time to LIVE with the speakers to decide.
The brutal thing is Revel is doing what Apple does with their iPhones... They make you buy a new adapter every time you buy a new phone which is why the government is stepping in and calling BS. I will have to buy new stands as well which jacks up my total investment and doesn't allow me to sneakily swap out speakers so my wife doesn't notice that I made the swap. Haha.. My kids will expose me anyway though...They will notice...

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The brutal thing is Revel is doing what Apple does with their iPhones... They make you buy a new adapter every time you buy a new phone which is why the government is stepping in and calling BS. I will have to buy new stands as well which jacks up my total investment and doesn't allow me to sneakily swap out speakers so my wife doesn't notice that I made the swap. Haha.. My kids will expose me anyway though...They will notice...
“They’re gonna know”..

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can start with the M106, buy from Crutchfield, you'll have a 60 day trial period, and if you don't like them, return them, and get the Be speakers. Gives you plenty of time to LIVE with the speakers to decide.
Crutchfield charges tax. I found them on another site for $1,540 with no tax, free shipping and 30 days return window...so I'll swap 30 days for $133

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought the M106s and the matching stands and I'm super happy. I spent the leftover money on a matching 1000w Rythmik sub. I'm crossing the M106s at 90, which sounds the best. Boy it sounds nice. The M106s sound significantly better than the M16s to my ears.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm about to win $1,000 in fantasy baseball so that makes all the upgrade price tags look nicer. :). Sounds like everyone thinks the smart money is on the $1,540 M106's except M126Be owners. Lol.

FWIW, today I upgraded from M16 to M126Be. I've been wanting to try M126Be speakers for a long time now but could not justify the price (currently retailing at $4400 a pair!). I got a good deal on a slightly used pair so went for it. Yes, the M126Be is better in almost every way, but the retail price difference between these two models is ridiculous. M16 is definitely a better value. I didn't see the point in an incremental upgrade to M106.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FWIW, today I upgraded from M16 to M126Be. I've been wanting to try M126Be speakers for a long time now but could not justify the price (currently retailing at $4400 a pair!). I got a good deal on a slightly used pair so went for it. Yes, the M126Be is better in almost every way, but the retail price difference between these two models is ridiculous. M16 is definitely a better value. I didn't see the point in an incremental upgrade to M106.
Congratulations. I found the M16 to M106 upgrade to be significant. Also the C25 to C205 significant.

chang

What would be a good amp/amps to pair this with under $500?

chang

I plan to buy the M16's and am looking for an integrated amp (up to $1,000) that will be a good match for these speakers. I don't yet have a good understanding of figuring power requirements, effect of impedence, etc. on choosing a well matched amp. I would appreciate some suggestions for a good amp for these speakers. I would like the amp to contain a good DAC and phono input. A couple of amps I am considering are the Arcam S10 and the Rotel A 12, but I don't know if these are good fits for the M 16's. Thanks for the advice.
Have you received any feedback on an amp? I'm in the same boat and weirdly enough, looking at the same amps, among others

MarkS

Major Contributor
Amps "fitting" speakers is not a thing, unless one or both of them is badly designed. And all amps/DACs/etc sound the same in any normal home-listening situation (and even well beyond). So I would buy the cheapest amp/receiver that has the inputs/features that I want/need. The Arcam or Rotel would be fine (but both are more than you need to spend).

DMill

Forum Donor
Amps "fitting" speakers is not a thing, unless one or both of them is badly designed. And all amps/DACs/etc sound the same in any normal home-listening situation (and even well beyond). So I would buy the cheapest amp/receiver that has the inputs/features that I want/need. The Arcam or Rotel would be fine (but both are more than you need to spend).
Agree. I’d look at Yamaha integrated like a AS701 that would give you 100w for cheaper. Nothing wrong with the two you mention though. Both are good.

chang

I understand where you're coming from, but even listening to amp comparisons on the internet, one can tell a difference. I'm not sure how big of a difference it would be in person, but I would love for the cheaper amps to be of the same quality... would save a lot of money

DMill

Forum Donor
I understand where you're coming from, but even listening to amp comparisons on the internet, one can tell a difference. I'm not sure how big of a difference it would be in person, but I would love for the cheaper amps to be of the same quality... would save a lot of money
I think the one I mentioned has the same “brand” value as Arcam or Rotel. I’ve owned all three at one point. I personally think the Yamaha are best value currently. But they are all good. I don’t think you’d hear a difference in any of the three so why not get a bit more power? Unless there’s something about a feature or looks of one your really into.

MarkS

Major Contributor
I understand where you're coming from, but even listening to amp comparisons on the internet, one can tell a difference.
Surely you understand that doing amp comparisons over the internet has no validity? Do it in real life, and you will see just how impossible it is to tell a difference.

chang

I think the one I mentioned has the same “brand” value as Arcam or Rotel. I’ve owned all three at one point. I personally think the Yamaha are best value currently. But they are all good. I don’t think you’d hear a difference in any of the three so why not get a bit more power? Unless there’s something about a feature or looks of one your really into.
I agree, I really like yamaha's value, but unfortunately it won't fit in my entertainment center. What does more power get you besides being able to drive the speakers harder?

chang

Surely you understand that doing amp comparisons over the internet has no validity? Do it in real life, and you will see just how impossible it is to tell a difference.
While I would definitely prefer live comparisons, I'm not sure I can discount the internet comparisons either. Unless they're going out of their way to deceive the audience, the sounds seem clearly different. I'm also taking into account the well known reviewers on youtube and their input. Maybe in real life it wouldn't be noticeable to a novice such as myself though.... so who knows

Top Bottom