• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

muad

I'm not a big fan of Andrew Robinson, although him and his S.O. really seems to love the M16. He pretty much thinks these or the F35/F36 will be his new reference.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm not a big fan of Andrew Robinson, although him and his S.O. really seems to love the M16. He pretty much thinks these or the F35/F36 will be his new reference.

Man that is a good deal for under $700. Love those freaking stands that guy has.

kodi41

Hello everyone. new guy here. I have the M16's and I use them as monitors in my PC room which is 12x12. They are the best I have ever heard in my system. I run them with a Krell Kav 400xi, and a PS Audio DAC straight from my pc at 192kz. I also use a M&K MX125 sub @80hz. I really like the sound.

But I do have a complaint. The Krell can overdrive these very easily below 60hz at high volume. So I am looking for a way to "cross" them over in my system. Anyone have any ideas?

FYI, the Krell is a very good amp rated @200 wpc, which is double the speakers rating.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello everyone. new guy here. I have the M16's and I use them as monitors in my PC room which is 12x12. They are the best I have ever heard in my system. I run them with a Krell Kav 400xi, and a PS Audio DAC straight from my pc at 192kz. I also use a M&K MX125 sub @80hz. I really like the sound.

But I do have a complaint. The Krell can overdrive these very easily below 60hz at high volume. So I am looking for a way to "cross" them over in my system. Anyone have any ideas?

FYI, the Krell is a very good amp rated @200 wpc, which is double the speakers rating.

Thanks.
How do you connect the sub currently?
Cheap and easy trial would be to plug the ports on the speakers ?

Everett T

Forum Donor

Thanks.
What do you mean by overdrive them below 60hz? Do you mean you hear distortion? What spl is the overdriving occurring?

kodi41

Thats is a good idea- plugging the ports. I will try that. I do not know the exact spl where this is happing at. I just know that the woofers begin to distort due to low bass info. I first thought it was the sub so I removed it from the equasion. It is the M16 distorting. I think the Krell is actualy overdriving the speaker. More low bass than the speaker can handle I believe. I contacted HK about this and they told me I need to cross them over @ 60 to 80hz, which I understand. However, with my Scan Speak drivers (custom built) I dont have this problem (same size cab and driver). Yet the midrange from these M16's is simpling very good. Excellant synergy, which I wish to retain. Oh, and BTW, I connect the sub directly from the Krell.

Last edited:

airgas1998

Thanks.

Thats is a good idea- plugging the ports. I will try that. I do not know the exact spl where this is happing at. I just know that the woofers begin to distort due to low bass info. I first thought it was the sub so I removed it from the equasion. It is the M16 distorting. I think the Krell is actualy overdriving the speaker. More low bass than the speaker can handle I believe. I contacted HK about this and they told me I need to cross them over @ 60 to 80hz, which I understand. However, with my Scan Speak drivers (custom built) I dont have this problem (same size cab and driver). Yet the midrange from these M16's is simpling very good. Excellant synergy, which I wish to retain. Oh, and BTW, I connect the sub directly from the Krell.
i assume you must be pushing these dB wise...I mean I listen at 60-85dB with no problem using the full bandwidth.....

Everett T

Forum Donor
Remember that the speakers power spec is for driver failure, and then there is no standard. Most of the time we only use a couple of watts, that's why I asked at what spl. Changing the roll off of speaker, as mentioned, would be the easiest way and I'd move the Sub crossover up to 100hz at least, afterwards.

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Always wanted to hear these and picked up a pair during the sale.

I still need a week for my brain EQ to settle but they sound good. If they sound good before brain EQ, you know they're good speakers. Immediately hit them with Dirac slightly above the room transition frequency like I do with all speakers to integrate my room and subwoofer. Not sure where the brightness complaints are coming from. With the small dip in the presence region and early roll-off, if anything these speakers are slightly laid back, although still very neutral. Also, my room EQ smashed down the bass hump and they'd be even softer in default form. The dip in the presence region leads to vocals and some instruments being pushed back compared to the A130/A170 I've had most recently. The JBLs are certainly more energetic and the M16s take some volume to get going like others have stated.

Always wanted to hear these and picked up a pair during the sale.

I still need a week for my brain EQ to settle but they sound good. If they sound good before brain EQ, you know they're good speakers. Immediately hit them with Dirac slightly above the room transition frequency like I do with all speakers to integrate my room and subwoofer. Not sure where the brightness complaints are coming from. With the small dip in the presence region and early roll-off, if anything these speakers are slightly laid back, although still very neutral. Also, my room EQ smashed down the bass hump and they'd be even softer in default form. The dip in the presence region leads to vocals and some instruments being pushed back compared to the A130/A170 I've had most recently. The JBLs are certainly more energetic and the M16s take some volume to get going like others have stated.

I'm a bit concern with the volume. I listen between 70-75dB. You think that's enough?

DMill

I'm a bit concern with the volume. I listen between 70-75dB. You think that's enough?
I’m not sure of your question. But the m16s like many bs speakers like a bit of power. It’s how they squeeze great results out of a small box. At the listening level you mention you have a great speaker with even a modest amp.

fragzone

Correct me if I'm wrong but the dbr62 are a third cheaper, go lower and measure better?

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Correct me if I'm wrong but the dbr62 are a third cheaper, go lower and measure better?
I had the DBR62. The dispersion was too wide for my 11.5' wide room. Ditto for the Aria 906, which have the highest preference score of all three IIRC. Some people might prefer the extra dispersion in a narrow room, but I like higher fidelity and I cross all my speakers in front of the listening position, which is the free way of using sidewall treatment, without losing any sound energy due to absorption. 100-120* pattern speakers work best for me in my setup.

Fuzziekiwi

I had the DBR62. The dispersion was too wide for my 11.5' wide room. Ditto for the Aria 906, which have the highest preference score of all three IIRC. Some people might prefer the extra dispersion in a narrow room, but I like higher fidelity and I cross all my speakers in front of the listening position, which is the free way of using sidewall treatment, without losing any sound energy due to absorption. 100-120* pattern speakers work best for me in my setup.
How would you compare the two? My current setup is the DBR62. Mine are coming soon but I didn't realize that the Revel were not sold in pairs sooo I just ordered the second speaker and my wallet hurts lol.

Elfsberg

Those free side reflexions exists any way. ;)

nathan

Do you mean, the question isn’t whether these speakers make sound off axis. All these designs do. The question Is whether that off axis sound has the same tonal characteristics (frequency response shape) as the on axis sound?

Fuzziekiwi

M16 came in from Crutchfield. First impressions:

Interesting sounding speaker. I will preface this with the fact I have sensitive ears when it comes to treble. Reminds me a little of the Genelecs I've auditioned briefly in a studio & B&H. It's playing all genres pretty well. In comparison to my DBR62's I've owned for over a year now, they sound a little leaner, more technical, and offer much more treble detail while not being too fatiguing. Got them for $700/pr, these are the most expensive speakers I have owned. Soundstage is pretty big and has some depth, good height and width.

One track I'm pretty familiar with has a piano panned left and I swear I heard it coming three feet away + left from the left side of the speaker. In comparison I don't remember the DBR62, RP-600M, and Q150 doing it that way.

DBR62's ($530/pr) sound slightly veiled in comparison, sound thicker and buttery, much more laid back. They sometimes make recordings sound better than they are if they're not the greatest. Rarely is anything harsh or has sibilance unless the track is really bad. The DBR62's are best played at loud volumes, while I can listen to the M16 at any volume just fine.

M16 has way less bass quantity than the DBR62's, and for me these need a sub for full range. I could use my DBR62's without one, but again the bass quality is not as good. They're flat, not in a bad way, detailed sparkly treble, but not really overdoing it. They will reveal if your source tracks aren't the best. They keep up with tracks that are very layered, and the treble is very.. fast? There is a hint of sibilance depending on the track for me.

Fun speaker, definitely sound expensive, they're performers, not sure if I'll be keeping it though as it's not really the sound I was aiming for. These speakers are great but I'm not sure if I'd pay more than what I just paid for. Also, these require way more juice from my receiver than the DBR62's and I thought those were power hungry.

I also have the Polk R200 to compare next.

Last edited:

Fuzziekiwi

Still a great speaker but the M16 is much more detailed up high, has a bigger soundstage, and better bass quality to my ears (although much less bass than the DBR62).

The DBR62 is laid back, a little bassy, with some treble roll off- I could listen to these 8+ hours a day blasting without fatigue (I WFM so sometimes I'll be listening to music all day).

The M16 is flatter and more exciting to listen to with far more treble detail/overall, & soundstage. I can see these as being slightly fatiguing after a few hours, though nowhere near the RP600M that I had tried before.

Out of the two, DBR62 can be used without a sub IMO, the M16 not as much.

Different instruments sounds better on one speaker than the other to me.

You'll probably be happy with either one unless you don't like warmer sounding speakers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom