• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

QMuse

Major Contributor
Just reading through the thread and looking further into this peak around 5khz.
This is what the designer says about it in the M106;

"On axis, with no averaging, the peak in the tweeters response 4.5kHz -6.5kHz is brought more clearly into focus. Kevin Voecks reports this is not a resonance “but is due to a transition in the waveguide from limiting dispersion to increasing it, and from diffraction”. The peak reduces significantly at 15 degrees off-axis and becomes smaller at wider angles. "

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...ookshelf-monitor-loudspeaker-review-part-one/

I wanted to stress out that peak az 5kHz, while being quite noticeable in the on-axis response is barely visible in LW, ER and SP responses.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is what the designer says about it in the M106;
"Kevin Voecks reports this is not a resonance “but is due to a transition in the waveguide from limiting dispersion to increasing it, and from diffraction”. The peak reduces significantly at 15 degrees off-axis and becomes smaller at wider angles. "
Objection, your honor!
The CSD diagram clearly shows that in the 5-6kHz range there is a problem with the decay of the tweeter.
Either the tweeter itself has a problem with decay or/and there is interference with the waveguide.

At 0.21m case width the edge diffraction is normally well below 5-6kHz and does not cause any problems in decay behaviour.

The diagram representation chosen by Amir for the decay behavior of loudspeakers is difficult to interpret, but it can be seen that in the range 5-6kHz the tweeter needs 5-7ms until the signal has decayed to -30dB.
The period length at 5.5kHz is 1/5500 seconds. This corresponds to 28-39 periods until the signal has decayed below -30dB.
Just compare the CSD with the Elac DBR-62.

1586182663935.png

In Amir's measurements one can clearly see that the 5-6kHz range is still present as a hump in both the LW and ER. Whether this has a clearly negative effect when listening to music I can't judge of course, but this is certainly not optimal.

Last edited:

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Valid point. Although, comparing these CSDs is difficult when the scales are different. @amirm can this scale be normalized?

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Valid point. Although, comparing these CSDs is difficult when the scales are different. @amirm can this scale be normalized?
A different perspective would help too:
... and last but not least, it would be beneficial to use a period-based scale instead of a time-based scale.

This way the decay problems of a loudspeaker at different frequencies can be compared directly and the axis value can be fixed in the diagram to e.g. 30 periods (for all measurements).

The M16, for example, has a decay of 10ms at 1300Hz until the signal drops below -30dB. This cannot be compared directly with the problem at 5-6kHz, it has to be converted into oscillation periods.

The 10ms@1300Hz correspond to 13 oscillation periods until the interference has subsided below -30dB. Compared to the 28-39 periods at the 5-6kHz interference, this is not very problematic.

Last edited:

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with CSD (or spectrogram) is that there are several hidden parameters that can drastically affect the appearance of the plots, and they are rarely given — such as the window used, the length of each segment, overlaps, etc. Without standardizing on those parameters, it will be comparing apples and oranges.

PBH

They can be had for notably less than retail and several reviews now, including Amir's, show that they offer great performance and visual appeal to those looking ng for this type of finish.

We also have to remember that this is an MSRP $900 speaker. No one should pay anywhere near that for them. $6-$700 on a bad day is more realistic.

Where are you finding them for much less than retail? I've been looking for a month in the United States and haven't been able to find them discounted.

AVKS

Where are you finding them for much less than retail? I've been looking for a month in the United States and haven't been able to find them discounted.

Get in touch with a dealer, and if there aren't any very near you then some folks have had good luck with some specific dealers. Revel isn't sold many places online and I've never seen advertised price reductions, though places like Crutchfield don't charge for shipping and offer in-home trials.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Not practically. Noise floor in my room varies and so does the output of the speaker. I mess with the parameters to get something decent out of it but it just won't be that good ever. The only time it is useful is if you are chasing something you know about and tune the parameters to get what you want.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning

I'll reply openly for others to see in case they are interested. I contacted Rex Anderson who is a prevalent poster on AVS forums. I think part of his job might be to actually post on AVS forums in the Revel thread, but don't quote me on that. He works for The Screening Room, a home theater sales/design/installation company that is also prevalent on AVS forums. Hope this helps

ed3lva

I'll reply openly for others to see in case they are interested. I contacted Rex Anderson who is a prevalent poster on AVS forums. I think part of his job might be to actually post on AVS forums in the Revel thread, but don't quote me on that. He works for The Screening Room, a home theater sales/design/installation company that is also prevalent on AVS forums. Hope this helps

Thank you Bear123 for the heads up. Ordered a pair of M16 along with stands. Rex was really helpful and gave me an amazing deal.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you Bear123 for the heads up. Ordered a pair of M16 along with stands. Rex was really helpful and gave me an amazing deal.
I’ve order 3 M16 as well to try for my front L/C/R from Rex as well. If decide to go with F35/F36 and a center later I’ll use them for surrounds instead. Looking forward to receiving them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have standardized in recent reviews although some tweaking is needed for noise floor and such in every measurement.

OP1M.DR3M

Forum Donor
Any thoughts on driving the Revel M16 with a SMSL DA-8S? Rated 40wpc @ 8ohms/ 80wpc @ 4ohms.

I'm wondering if this will be enough for these speakers in my 10'x13'x9' room. I generally don't listen much past 70-80db (according to db meter phone app). Your feedback is greatly appreciated, thanks!

AVKS

Mathematically it should be plenty at those listening levels. No reason not to try it.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sean Olive uses them in his bedroom setup:

1588408057369.png

I'm really enjoying this Revel M16-Arcam SA10 setup in my bedroom, connected to an Apple TV.

The Harman Kardon Go and Play below it is Blue-toothed to an Alexa Amazon Echo Dot mostly used for news, weather, telling time/alarm, and controlling the lights. I say goodnight and it turns off all the lights and tells me to get some beauty sleep although I don't need it
1f642.png
:)

I also use the HK outdoors around the pool for music since it has a battery. I don't know of a better sounding portable speaker. Period. It will be a sad day when we stop making them.

Source:

tuga

Major Contributor
Sean Olive uses them in his bedroom setup:

View attachment 61429

I'm really enjoying this Revel M16-Arcam SA10 setup in my bedroom, connected to an Apple TV.

The Harman Kardon Go and Play below it is Blue-toothed to an Alexa Amazon Echo Dot mostly used for news, weather, telling time/alarm, and controlling the lights. I say goodnight and it turns off all the lights and tells me to get some beauty sleep although I don't need it
1f642.png
:)

I also use the HK outdoors around the pool for music since it has a battery. I don't know of a better sounding portable speaker. Period. It will be a sad day when we stop making them.

Source:

I wonder how many speakers he'll sell with that post...

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Do you think it's overkill to use the M16 as surrounds ( LCR: Revel F208 and C208)?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you think it's overkill to use the M16 as surrounds ( LCR: Revel F208 and C208)?
If you have room to put stands or use a speaker mount I think they would work great as surround. The S16 is ready to mount and is much shallower if you don't have the room.

Top Bottom