• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M16 Speaker Review

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I don't think they are similar at all. That said, I have purchased its tower version so we will see.
Cool you picked up a pair of 253’s. I didn’t notice they were on sale today I would’ve mentioned it. I picked up a pair last year when they were marked down. I can’t talk measurements. But IMO you will be very pleasantly surprised listening to them. They are steal at the price. Looking forward to your measurements and your opinion.

Thanks

AVKS

Have you measured your F35's in room? My F36 are crazy flat out to 20 KHz. From my understanding, if a speaker is flat to 20 KHz it will have a gentle downward slope out to 20K in room. Mine have no roll off at all....almost makes it seem like room correction is forcing them flat but I'm only eq'ing below 500 Hz. Don't judge too harshly below 300 Hz. This was a quick and dirty setup with subs too low in level and not dialed in yet. Also some furniture blocking the woofers that I need to change.View attachment 53532

I have started dabbling in measurements, and my first round seems to indicate that my ear likes the Harman curve. I don't use room correction at this time so am pretty pleased that my choice of speakers and ear-tuning in my room via position has worked out as such :)

Haint

Have you measured your F35's in room? My F36 are crazy flat out to 20 KHz. From my understanding, if a speaker is flat to 20 KHz it will have a gentle downward slope out to 20K in room. Mine have no roll off at all....almost makes it seem like room correction is forcing them flat but I'm only eq'ing below 500 Hz. Don't judge too harshly below 300 Hz. This was a quick and dirty setup with subs too low in level and not dialed in yet. Also some furniture blocking the woofers that I need to change.View attachment 53532

If you set Audyssey to Flat I believe it ignores your cut off point preference and corrects the full range, you have to use Reference to successfully limit it. Turning on Dynamic EQ will also start applying a treble boost from ~7kHz to 20k regardless of your cut off point. This is what I see on F35's, Center MLP at around 9' distance.

1/6th Smoothing | Green: Audyssey Off | Red: XT32 Reference, Limited to ~500-600Hz, Dynamic EQ On (10dB Reference Offset).

Aud Off.jpg

Aud on.jpg

Last edited:

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How far away do you sit? What kind of floors do you have?

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How far away do you sit? What kind of floors do you have?

About 10', hardwood floors. I need to do some more measuring. I can't remember if I had DEQ on.

lonewolf

No. But I have purchased the Revel F35 which just arrived. And M8 SP2.

Awesome, I'm really looking forward to your thoughts and measurements on the F35! Those are the speakers I have, so they'll give me a bit of a reference. And I think they are fantastic speakers as well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I would really like to see my Revel M126Be be measured by amirm now...

Makes me wonder good and bad. :D
Would be nice to measure. I don't plan to buy it so if you can send it, it would be great. I only need one unit and if you are in US, shipping is not too bad.

Johan Liebert

I wonder how good are these on a desk?

I know they're probably designed to be played in the living room.

AVKS

I wonder how good are these on a desk?

I know they're probably designed to be played in the living room.

They sound quite good on my desk but yes, they are fully capable of filling a room and IMO only tap a portion of their potential in a nearfield application.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I imagine quite a lot of "bookshelf" speakers will work quite well as a desk/nearfield monitors, given their similar design and proportions to speakers designed as such.

I'm currently using a pair of Dynaudio Audience speakers on my desk and they work very well. The Audience bookshelf/stand mount speakers are very similar to many of Dynaudio's studio monitors, they use the same drivers and are similar dimensions, albeit they are passive.

I've found that how you stand the speakers/monitors on the desk can have a significant influence on how they sound. I made some short stands from MDF to raise the tweater to about ear level. I also used some of these "rubber" feet under the stands which, if nothing else, stops you feeling as much buzz through the desk: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00OEXPENC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am in search of a front 3 speakers for my home theater. Would M16/C25 work for home theater?
-Receiver Denon X8500
-Listening distance about 12feet
-Room dimensions 22'x14'x8'
-Max volume around -10db
My first though is to get the floor standing model F35/F36 but Revel is out of stock for the next 60 days or so (in black).
I just got 3 JBL 705P but 1 is defective and am considering going Revel instead.
Thoughts?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish they made matte finishes. This glossy stuff just doesn't match our decor :(

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am in search of a front 3 speakers for my home theater. Would M16/C25 work for home theater?
They would but it all depends on how loud you want to play them.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They would but it all depends on how loud you want to play them.
It would probably be a much safer bet to go with F35/F36 with the C25 because their sensitivity is around 90 instead of 86 if I want to not need any external amplification.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
-Receiver Denon X8500
-Listening distance about 12feet
-Room dimensions 22'x14'x8'
-Max volume around -10db
My first though is to get the floor standing model F35/F36 but Revel is out of stock for the next 60 days or so (in black).
I just got 3 JBL 705P but 1 is defective and am considering going Revel instead.
Thoughts?

Here's my opinion, for what it's worth. At 12' and -10 MV, I think you'll be cutting it pretty close on clean output capability with the M16's. What I see most people fail to account for is that almost everyone is going to be using eq. If not full range, then at the very least below 300 Hz, and most likely *at least* 3-6 dB of boost in this range i.e. 300 Hz down to 80 Hz crossover to subs. So instead of 95 dB maximum output requirement(75 dB average plus 20 dB peaks), you need 98-101. I think you'll be hitting a lot of distortion and/or running out of power. I'd wait the 60 days and go with the towers so you have three woofers covering this range instead of one, and in a much larger cabinet. Also, what if you want to listen slightly louder? The towers probably give you this ability.

The online calculators some folks use are wildly inaccurate imo. They let you select multiple speakers to add SPL which isn't accurate since the SPL requirement is from *each* speaker and not all of them combined. They also usually give a huge boost in SPL for room gain, which only affects the lowest frequencies. Sensitivity is not spec'd at 100 or 80 Hz where room/boundary gain might give some SPL enforcement, but rather at higher frequencies where you won't get this boost. So calculating SPL capability based on speaker sensitivity, power, and listening distance should *not* use room/boundary gain factored into the calculation.

Looking at the 80-300 Hz distortion of my F36 towers at 11-12' distance at 90-95 dB, I *definitely* would not want to play at that level with a single 6.5" woofer in a small cab.

jonfitch

Nice!

Okay, well, seeing you can get these on the cheap, if the M126Be come into your possession at any point I'd be very interested to see how they measure. I'm planning to buy myself some nice bookshelf speakers for my 40th (so I have a couple of years to save), and it's either the Revels, or Krix Esoterix Altum (which use a Scanspeak Revelator tweeter with a big waveguide).

These are all Harman spins, of the Revel M105, M126Be, and Gem2. I think at least based on the Spins you could argue the M105 is actually the best measuring speaker.

NHFqSsV.jpg

skCVNrV.jpg

Spin%2B-%2BRevel%2BUltima2%2BGem2.png

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These are all Harman spins, of the Revel M105, M126Be, and Gem2. I think at least based on the Spins you could argue the M105 is actually the best measuring speaker.

NHFqSsV.jpg

skCVNrV.jpg

Spin%2B-%2BRevel%2BUltima2%2BGem2.png

I used to have the M105, and that's exactly why it bought it. To my eyes, it arguably had the best looking spin of all the Revel speakers.

Johan Liebert

I used to have the M105, and that's exactly why it bought it. To my eyes, it arguably had the best looking spin of all the Revel speakers.
I guess they're cheaper than the M16s as well.

Edit:NVM, it's about 750 each which is about 1500 dollars for a pair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom