• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

revel m106 vs emotiva t0+, thoughts ?

norman bates

Forum Donor
Besides crossover point, box shape, and of course, amt tweet vs dome/waveguide, I think distortion may be similar past 100hz, but definitely revel tweeter at 96db is better than the b1+'s tweet (tested here).

The m106's woofer magnet looks bigger in videos than the magnet on the sb17nbac35..............
you can see the magnet during the first 10's of seconds here during the gr research breakdown of the revel.

here is a pic of the sb17nbac on madisound (smaller magnet)

So, short of the slitted cone and cone material, it doesn't have copper cap nor shorting ring (or rings)..........

And the vertical dispersion would be sketchy on the t0+ seeing as we don't have a clue where the bottom woofer rolls off at or how much a larger dust cap knocks down its output.

Thoughts ?
discuss ?

maybe it is a moot question as the t0+
"The TZero+ is being discontinued."
post from july last year...................

Last edited:

My adventures in stereo

The Revel M 106 has a really good price to performance ratio
Very nicely built and has a non fatiguing sound, which is hard to beat

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm a big fan of my Performa's, definitely wouldn't trade down to Emotivas. Not very empirical, I know.

OP
norman bates

norman bates

Forum Donor
Yea, maybe I'm just being paranoid I'm missing something that the m106 doesn't have.

Years ago I had 3 x radio shack (lineaum clone things) mtm's across the front for LCR.
Had them all standing up and down, sat at least 10' away.
Loved it.

I even keep looking at the giant hivi rt2h ribbon waveguide thing.................

Dougey_Jones

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, short of the slitted cone and cone material, it doesn't have copper cap nor shorting ring (or rings)..........

The closest SB Acoustics woofer to the M106’s sold to hobbyists has a copper sleeved pole piece.

Just based on cabinet finish these two speakers seem to be in very different classes.

OP
norman bates

norman bates

Forum Donor
true.....

but.............

emotiva sells direct, so dollar for dollar buys a bit more due to no distributor's cut, nor crutchfield's cut.

I'm thinking the slitted sb cone material would be better than the emotiva.

I also figure the dual 5" emotiva would be closer distortion wise to revel's 6" (can't find mention of copper cap or a shorting ring online).

Dougey, nope, they were the center channels, the pro cs something, had yellow fiberglass cones, but I didn't hear anything scratchy.
You could hear the cone material when softly dragging the back of a fingernail across it.

There it is, I guess it was a rca, 40-5038

Perhaps the now 20 year older me would not like it, but I have many fond memories of them.
Got them all for $50 each on close-out from radio shack probably 20 years ago.

Attachments

• rca-40-5038-center-channel-speaker-system.jpg
    rca-40-5038-center-channel-speaker-system.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Top Bottom