• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 to Revel M126 Be, just made the switch

Bren Derlin

Have you tried the c205 with the m106s?

Nope. That was never the plan. Those two M106 speakers are the entire front line of that HT set-up. I have no dedicated center for that space.
I'm 100% positive the C205 would work with the M106. But I much prefer the sound of a large stereophonic phantom center over a dedicated center channel. To me, it sounds fantastically more cinematic, as the sound completely envelopes the 77" OLED. ...actually the entire front wall, really.

If you have an ideal set-up for a phantom center (14' wide or more front wall), with plenty of space to pull your speakers out from the front wall and corners, and get them positioned perfectly in the room, and center your display within those speakers, I'd give it try for a while. I can literally walk up and down stairs to compare a "center vs. a phantom center", and I know which I prefer - and it's a significant difference. And for those suggesting it doesn't work for people sitting off to the side, we have 4 people sitting across are big sectional during movie night, and every time I'm buried in my "favorite corner", there is zero issue regarding the audio being centered on the screen. We don't sit along the side walls. If you have to sit well outside the boundaries of the speakers, then I'd recommend a center.

This my set up with the M106 speakers — we sit about 8' from the TV... Unless you're on the back-table, then about 12'. You can see a little M8 onwall speakers in the photo with the dartboard. That's one of our two surround speakers. The other is on the facing fall on the other side of the couch - they both face backwards about 15 degrees, to make them less directional. It's a fantastic fairly modest little rig. All powered by the Denon x2600H (Can of worms? LOL)...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 265
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 257
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 254

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nope. That was never the plan. Those two M106 speakers are the entire front line of that HT set-up. I have no dedicated center for that space.
I'm 100% positive the C205 would work with the M106. But I much prefer the sound of a large stereophonic phantom center over a dedicated center channel. To me, it sounds fantastically more cinematic, as the sound completely envelopes the 77" OLED. ...actually the entire front wall, really.

If you have an ideal set-up for a phantom center (14' wide or more front wall), with plenty of space to pull your speakers out from the front wall and corners, and get them positioned perfectly in the room, and center your display within those speakers, I'd give it try for a while. I can literally walk up and down stairs to compare a "center vs. a phantom center", and I know which I prefer - and it's a significant difference. And for those suggesting it doesn't work for people sitting off to the side, we have 4 people sitting across are big sectional during movie night, and every time I'm buried in my "favorite corner", there is zero issue regarding the audio being centered on the screen. We don't sit along the side walls. If you have to sit well outside the boundaries of the speakers, then I'd recommend a center.

This my set up with the M106 speakers — we sit about 8' from the TV... Unless you're on the back-table, then about 12'. You can see a little M8 onwall speakers in the photo with the dartboard. That's one of our two surround speakers. The other is on the facing fall on the other side of the couch - they both face backwards about 15 degrees, to make them less directional. It's a fantastic fairly modest little rig. All powered by the Denon x2600H (Can of worms? LOL)...
What a gorgeous setup, love the back bar too. I don't have anything so contained...I have a living room that is part of a great room, opening to a kitchen and open on the side to other rooms...I'm happy I'm using Audessey 32XT via my Denon X3700H to help address the room challenges. I also use two subs for a 5.2 setup. I haven't been happy with the C25 (boxy dull sounding) so I bought the C205...We will see. In the meantime, I'll give the phantom approach a try. I adore the M106s. For the phantom center, you just remove the center channel in setup, right?

Bren Derlin

Yes. Go into the Denon speaker set-up menu, and remove the center channel.

Living rooms can be tricky with phantom center. That's a space were people can really sit off the sides, or the side wall on one side is significantly further away from a speaker than the other side. Nooks and cranny's with builtin cabinets/bookshelves. Our living room set up is really wonky.

This was our "living room/home theater for 17 years. It worked for us - though I knew it wasn't a perfect space for a "home theater". ...can't say we complained, as this is what we had. And really - it was certainly good enough.

....Then we finished the basement, and saved that one 14' wide by 12' deep corner for the home theater/music listening space. ...which also doubles as a Football Viewing party space with the dartboard and back table for gathering. We have two high-tables 6' feet long, 30 inches wide, we can move around in our space. We can push them together to make a big dining table for 10-12 people. Or set up one as table as a buffet, and another for seating. Or set up both as a buffet. I use these tables for wrapping gifts now. LOL

Best part about the basement space. It gets absolutely black at night when the lights are off. The OLED really makes a difference there. When the OLED TV's reach 100", and the prices aren't $10,000 - we'll hopefully upgrade. ...but that'll push the speakers further into the corners. Maybe...

Attachments

• IMG_5772.jpeg
    IMG_5772.jpeg
    261.6 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5773.jpeg
    IMG_5773.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Living rooms can be tricky with phantom center. That's a space were people can really sit off the sides, or the side wall on one side is significantly further away from a speaker than the other side. Nooks and cranny's with builtin cabinets/bookshelves. Our living room set up is really wonky.

This was our "living room/home theater for 17 years. It worked for us - though I knew it wasn't a perfect space for a "home theater". ...can't say we complained, as this is what we had. And really - it was certainly good enough.

....Then we finished the basement, and saved that one 14' wide by 12' deep corner for the home theater/music listening space. ...which also doubles as a Football Viewing party space with the dartboard and back table for gathering. We have two high-tables 6' feet long, 30 inches wide, we can move around in our space. We can push them together to make a big dining table for 10-12 people. Or set up one as table as a buffet, and another for seating. Or set up both as a buffet. I use these tables for wrapping gifts now. LOL

Best part about the basement space. It gets absolutely black at night when the lights are off. The OLED really makes a difference there. When the OLED TV's reach 100", and the prices aren't $10,000 - we'll hopefully upgrade. ...but that'll push the speakers further into the corners. Maybe...
Looks like a San Francisco condo south of market...

Chrise36

Major Contributor

Try dual mono center it is even better.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
I have been using the Revel M106 for a year & really like it
The upgrade itch caught me & the M126 BE seemed the logical choice
I prefer bookself speakers with dsp'ed dual subs

View attachment 230438

The M126 Be on paper was the upgraded M106, with the Beryllium tweeter & the ceramic wave guide etc
The upgrade thread( from 106 to 126 )on ASR, did not help my decision making
I finally pulled the trigger on it, ordered in black, arrived in silver
Liked the silver, so keeping it

The build quality is definitely a step up from the M 106
Component quality is better too
The white drivers, I prefer the black on the M106 but I can live with the white

View attachment 230445

The tweeters and mid are definite step up for me, in terms of sound quality
Bass seems the same, crossed over at 80 hz
The sound stage seems wider

Calibrated with minidsp REW & dirac, I am happy with the result

View attachment 230442View attachment 230444

Thought I would share my experiences here, for fellow Revel fans.
Any fr measurements from listening position?

kevin1969

The M126 has more detailed treble but is not fatiguing

Overall the M126 is a better speaker

Hope that is clearer :)

Glad you like ,how it matches the decor
I have never owned silver speakers before, liked the look

I'm considering upgrading from the M16 to the M106 and possibly the F126be but I'm wondering if the extra cost of the F126 would be worth it. My M16s are paired with a Rel SubZero in a large living room with high ceilings.

The only improvement I'm really looking for is in the treble range since it's a big room the higher frequencies seem to get lost.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see the problem ... R2D2 is absorbing the upper band. Make sure he has been turned off when listening (PS - not my idea Maty told me to write this :) )

Bren Derlin

I'm considering upgrading from the M16 to the M106 and possibly the F126be but I'm wondering if the extra cost of the F126 would be worth it. My M16s are paired with a Rel SubZero in a large living room with high ceilings.

The only improvement I'm really looking for is in the treble range since it's a big room the higher frequencies seem to get lost.

Try this again. LOL

Do you have a pic of your living room you can share?

:)

kevin1969

Do you have a photo of your room you could share?
Sorry for the delay. About 5ft between the speakers and 14ft to listening position. Room 15ft wide with high ceilings.

Obviously towers would do better but they just wouldn't look good in that room. So I'm wondering if either M106 or Dirac would be a better option (or both).

Attachments

• PXL_20230706_200647095.MP~3.jpg
    PXL_20230706_200647095.MP~3.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 64
Top Bottom