• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 or F206 - Bookshelf vs Floorstander

asnow

Hello All,
I'm looking to replace my old B&W 602 S3 with the Revel M106. I'm also considering the Revel F206 if I can justify the extra cost with better sound. Another thing I'm considered about is the age of the Performa3 lineup since it was released in 2013. I have been draw to the Revel lineup based on Amirm speaker reviews.

I can equalize my setup, have a sub woofer and I use my setup for 70% music at this point.

I like to hear everyone's thoughts on M106 vs F206 and bookshelf vs floorstander.

Thanks
- Austin

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I have both. The M106 is a fine bookshelf, but the F206 is a much more capable speaker. To me, it is no contest, even in my small room.

The best advice I can give is to find a dealer and give both a listen. Then negotiate a discount on the F206.

AaronJ

I don’t think you should worry about the age of the Performa3 line. Great engineering from 2013 is relevant 10 years later and supported by the measurements. I recently upgraded from B&W CM5’s I’ve had since 2012 to M106 and the difference is not small. They’re fairly similar at conversation levels but the further you get from that point the greater the delta between performance emerges. I couldn’t be happier with the M106’s. In my living space (12’x22’ room) the M106’s sound much larger than the CM5’s even though they’re basically the same size with same size drivers. It goes to show what a well engineered speaker can do.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Remember to ask the dealer to have a subwoofer with the M106s when you compare. Without one I think it's no contest and floorstander wins hands down, but as you already have a sub...

Dougey_Jones

Forum Donor
I own both, the F206 is much more capable. I guess it depends on what kind of sub you have and what room correction you're using. If you end up going with the M106, definitely get the matching M-Stand.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My two cents. It depends on how loud you are listening. At lower levels the M106 may be sufficient. As you approach the mid 90db range, even with a high pass crossover at 80hz, the F206 is going to be more capable and have lower distortion in the midbass. There is no substitute for displacement.

I would also recommend you consider adding a second subwoofer for two reasons. First, with proper placement, it will give you a smoother frequency response through the room (and in turn sound subjectively tighter). Second, your room is pretty good sized at 2600 cubic feet (medium room). A single 10" subwoofer is going to be overtaxed in your room. A second identical subwoofer can provide up a 6db increase in dynamic capability (if co-located), but it will be less than this in practice as largest benefit will be smoothed output by placement.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello All,
I'm looking to replace my old B&W 602 S3 with the Revel M106. I'm also considering the Revel F206 if I can justify the extra cost with better sound. Another thing I'm considered about is the age of the Performa3 lineup since it was released in 2013. I have been draw to the Revel lineup based on Amirm speaker reviews.

I can equalize my setup, have a sub woofer and I use my setup for 70% music at this point.

I like to hear everyone's thoughts on M106 vs F206 and bookshelf vs floorstander.

Thanks
- Austin
Sell your subwoofer and buy F206.

rynberg

Forum Donor
I would advise the F206 (I have the F206 after auditioning the M106). The dedicated midrange and additional bass/output capabilities are definitely worth the increase in price, especially considering the M106 takes up the same amount of floor space and requires stands.

OP
A

asnow

Thanks for the advice. My local Revel dealer (50 miles away) has the M105 and F206 in their listening room, no M106, hoping to get over there and give them a listen.

I found on ASR there was a 30% discount on Revel last September, does that happen yearly?

OP
A

asnow

Does anyone know of a review of the F206 like @amirm's M106 and F208? I was looking for a bit more measurements than what Harman has published and listening tests.

Astoneroad

Forum Donor
I also own both and concur that both are fine speakers, the F206 is more capable. I'm also very happy with my Concerta S16 surround speakers, although I never see them mentioned or measured here, but they were a steal on the used the market. Happy explorations.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I hope so.

2 x F206 = $4k
2 x m106 + 2 x Rythmik L12 = $3.5k
I paid $3K for mine with a C25 thrown in.
Does anyone know of a review of the F206 like @amirm's M106 and F208? I was looking for a bit more measurements than what Harman has published and listening tests.
I have posted in-room measurements of mine. But I have a lousy room. I'll try to find those posts.

I believe you said to have the ability to apply EQ. These have excellent directivity and take EQ very well.

[Edit: Found some]

Last edited:
OP
A

asnow

I paid $3K for mine with a C25 thrown in.

I have posted in-room measurements of mine. But I have a lousy room. I'll try to find those posts.

I believe you said to have the ability to apply EQ. These have excellent directivity and take EQ very well.
I have the Anthem AVM 70 so I can EQ with Arc Genesis. EQ-Ability was one of things I was wondering about. Thanks Steve.

As for my room, I'm one of the unfortunate ones with a "cornerish" setup :confused:.

OP
A

asnow

Thank you for all the input! After some listening tests I settled on the F206s. I have had them for about 2 weeks and they sound superb in my setup without any EQ. I haven't had the chance to run through Arc Genesis.

chang

Thank you for all the input! After some listening tests I settled on the F206s. I have had them for about 2 weeks and they sound superb in my setup without any EQ. I haven't had the chance to run through Arc Genesis.
How would you compare them to the 105's?

Top Bottom