• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi everyone,

I’m thinking about switching out my current LCR setup to matching m106’s. It’s in a large room (20x30x10ft or so), though the system is in the front half of the room and I sit about 10ft away from the front speakers.

I currently run an SVS Ultra center, along with a pair of SVS Prime Pinnacles for my L/Rs, currently crossed at 80hz to dual Monolith 15 v2 subs. I use a MiniDSP and Dirac Live for room calibration.

The two main setups I’m thinking about switching to are either LCR m106s or KEF R3’s. The room isn’t formally treated and is pretty reflective (one wall is all windows, and I have a leather couch and small coffee table that causes some minor issues).

My main concern is losing the bigger sound stage and greater dynamics that the 3-way speakers I currently have, which feature dual 6.5in woofers (and I think 4inch mids?) currently provide.

I use this for maybe 60/40 movies/tv and music. I want something that sounds natural and clear. Ideally, I would save up for a c208/f208 setup, but I’m also not sure if they will fit as well given my current constraints.

Any thoughts? I keep bouncing back between Revel and KEF, so I thought I’d check here. I might also just not upgrade right now if I can’t make up my mind, lol.
I think it will be dependent on the max volume you like to listen at. I would be concerned a single 6.5 inch woofer for loud HT level volumes. I have had 3 M106’s for my LCR and they sounded very, very good. I did decide I wanted to experiment with higher volumes and decided to go to 3 C208’s below my screen. And they did play better at the louder volumes. I am currently going back and forth with JBL 708p/708i and JBL 6332 speakers. I would hesitate to go from 3 way tower/center to a two way with a 6.5 inch driver (even though it is a fantastic speaker). Going to an F208/C208 is definitely something that would be a good option IMO.

ronnzi

I think it will be dependent on the max volume you like to listen at. I would be concerned a single 6.5 inch woofer for loud HT level volumes. I have had 3 M106’s for my LCR and they sounded very, very good. I did decide I wanted to experiment with higher volumes and decided to go to 3 C208’s below my screen. And they did play better at the louder volumes. I am currently going back and forth with JBL 708p/708i and JBL 6332 speakers. I would hesitate to go from 3 way tower/center to a two way with a 6.5 inch driver (even though it is a fantastic speaker). Going to an F208/C208 is definitely something that would be a good option IMO.
This is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. Sounds like I should probably wait and look into the c208/f208s.

Thank you!

ronnzi

Quick follow up, if I can’t fit f208s, what do you think of a c208/f206 front stage combo?

Bren Derlin

I use a pair of M106 for our home theater/music listening space. Our space is a 14' w x 12' deep end of our finished basement. The ceiling is 8' high.
The speakers are about 9ft apart, 18" from the front wall. We sit about 8.5 from the screen. We rarely push our volume over -70-75db. I'd say our sweet spot -65db-70db. After that it just gets REALLY loud. We don't use a center - much prefer the phantom center set-up - as our space feels like it's the perfect set-up to take advantage of this.

I push the speakers with the Denon x2600H. We have Revel M8 on-wall speakers for surrounds. I absolutely love this rig. It gives us a solid cinematic experience for such a small space. The waveguides on the M106 certainly help. We have no side-wall nor ceiling treatment. We have a thick rug and rug pad on the floor, and a big fabric covered sectional.

In a more comparative set-up (bookshelves vs. floors) regarding the same space to what you're considering:
Previous rig:
Polk LSi15 towers L/R, Polk LSiC (center)

New rig:
Revel M16 bookshelf L/R, Revel C205 (center) - replacing the Polks

This is also used for movies and music, but it's in our living room (22' x 16' with 18' ceiling). The sound is greatly improved in terms of clarity, especially with dialogue. Volume? The Revels have zero issue competing or matching the Polk LSi speakers. ...We push the volume upwards of 70-75db here as well. If you need more volume, I can't say how well it holds up, as we don't push it past -80db. But we don't sit a long distance from the speakers either.

The Revel C205 a big upgrade over the Polk LSiC - especially in clarity and definition when it comes to dialogue. I prefer the phantom center in our HT set-up in the basement over either.

As for filling the space with sound, the M16 bookshelf has zero issues. ...I chose the M16 speakers over the KEF R3, the latter which I found quickly fatiguing (personal issue).

All the Revels (M16 and M106 speakers) seem to be on sale, including the Revel C205 - so it's hard to not recommend this right now. ...you also have a 60 in-home trial period through Crutchfield, so you can always buy-n-try (live with the speakers for a while), and switch if you don't like your choice.

FlyingFreak

Hi there!

I found this forum at the beginning of the year when I was looking for speakers in my odd living room and ... ended up with a Topping L50/E50 stack for my HE560 instead.
Between all the HiFi snake oils out there, I was even skeptical of the potential changes I might hear from a dac + amp vs directly plugging my headphones to my mbp and tv. Turned out it was VERY much of an upgrade. Suddenly HiRes audio made sense.

Now I am back missing sharing music (my current speakers are a pair JBL Flip5... fine background noise machine when chewing on some steaks or raw broccoli).

So.. I need everything. I am pretty set on those speakers. While I never had a chance to listen to any Revel, I am pretty familiar with Kef R3 and LS50 meta and reading what people say about Ken vs Revel, I am pretty sure those will be perfect for me.

Question I have now is this: if I get the Revel, I'll be pretty short $wise for the rest of the system. At the beginning, I could borrow the E50 (which doesnt belong in the same room, so will have to get something else, or a second one, quickly). I am thinking airport express or WiiM mini to receive signal and send it to the E50 and a PA5 for powering those speakers.

Any one with strong opinion one way or the other for WiiM vs Airport vs anything else (in an exclusive apple environment)?

I feel pretty useless trying to understand how to calculate amp need while looking at a speaker spec sheet, but it looks like that PA5 should do the trick right? That many numbers to look at on both ends overwhelmed me...

Are there (cheaper) alternatives I ought to give a look at? Any cheap clean integrated with wifi that could replace the entire chain?

I know it's not the fanciest shiniest bunch of devices to feed those beautiful speakers... reasoning behind is that I would much rather have at least one element of my new system that I wouldn't wonder about and if there is one element that should play that role and eat most of the budget, it should definitely be the speakers. Am I crazy?

Any and all inputs appreciated!

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Interesting. Did you use the C208's horizontal or vertical?

Bren Derlin

Hi there!

Any one with strong opinion one way or the other for WiiM vs Airport vs anything else (in an exclusive apple environment)?

Any and all inputs appreciated!

AppleTV 4K for streaming. You can set up playlists in your Apple Music (lossless subscription) app on your computer, and the playlists will show-up on your iPhone and your AppleTV 4K music app.

ronnzi

It's definitely not just you. I think those speakers have a lot of potential with EQ, but out of the box, they are a bit analytical and not a smoother listen.
It’s funny you say that. I was assuming the same thing. I’m pretty sensitive to bright speakers, but I’ll also only be running them with Dirac enabled, which has them still in the running. With EQ, given their amazing directivity, do they have more potential than m106s in your opinion?

I know this is tough to say… I also know they’re dispersion is more narrow but *shrugs*.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s funny you say that. I was assuming the same thing. I’m pretty sensitive to bright speakers, but I’ll also only be running them with Dirac enabled, which has them still in the running. With EQ, given their amazing directivity, do they have more potential than m106s in your opinion?
I don't own either, but my inclination is to say no, because coaxials tend to have power handling limits that will set in sooner than other speakers. However you'll want to compare distortion measurements to be sure. Also the R3 is a narrower dispersion speaker at 45-50 degrees so the presentation will be different than the Revel. I can't say which will be better.

grizzog

Probably a long shot on this one, but any chance anyone has opinions/experience with the Elac ARB-51 vs the Revel M106? I've been interested in the Revels for a while and was considering trying them, but not sure if it would be worth it from the Elacs.

norman bates

Forum Donor
Hmmm...........
Never heard the elac = active speaker, 3-way with a 1" tweet, 4" mid, and a 5" woofer.

"The Elac tweeter lacks the sheer silken freedom of, say, the beryllium tweeter aboard the “passive” Revel M126Be."

I can only imagine that the elac would be less distorted..................
And concentric source tweet/mid may sound better to you.

Todd74

I liked this speaker the first time I heard it, compared only vs M16…. but then when I demoed it at Audio Advice against Heco Celan Revolution 3’s [which I now own and love to death], the Celans made M106 sound boring. I guess I’m the type of person who gets in a car and can’t stand having EQ or tone controls set to 0 across the board and would rather have the presentation be a bit more fun, open, and lively but w/o losing refinement.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I liked this speaker the first time I heard it, compared only vs M16…. but then when I demoed it at Audio Advice against Heco Celan Revolution 3’s [which I now own and love to death], the Celans made M106 sound boring. I guess I’m the type of person who gets in a car and can’t stand having EQ or tone controls set to 0 across the board and would rather have the presentation be a bit more fun, open, and lively but w/o losing refinement.

Those Hecos are about a thousand times better looking than the Revel M106s, too.

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They look great and at a great price. Maybe @amirm will agree to do an express review if you send one in.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Heco Celan Revolution 3
Crossover frequency of 2.8 kHz is on the higher end for a 6.5" cone / 1" dome speaker.

And I am incredulous as I read the specs.

They claim 90 dB sensitivity yet 30 Hz on the low end.

And if the sensitivity really is 90 dB, they probably roll off soon and are meant to work with a sub. They have some very suspect specs.

Top Bottom