• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I really hope "John" is an ASR member and sends one of those to Amir for measurement.

Abe_W

The Madrona Digital Revel dealer's Revel sales are gonna plummet after this one....:D
Start the damage control Madrona...you can do it!

Chaconne

Danny Richey seems like such a likable, reasonable, rational guy that I truly want to trust him and believe in his "cures." But what stretches my credulity is that he is just one guy in Somewhere, Texas, who examines a plethora of speakers from many of the most experienced, respected and accomplished speaker designers and manufacturers and does not seem to find a single one that measures up to what he can achieve. Maybe I've missed some speakers that he found to be acceptable, but as far as I've seen, he finds everything he examines wanting to one degree or another. I just find it hard to believe that the likes of Revel, Wharfedale, B&W, Harbeth, ATC, etc. etc. don't measure up to this one man's standards. Then again, maybe he really is just that good.

Vicfontaine

Danny Richey seems like such a likable, reasonable, rational guy that I truly want to trust him and believe in his "cures." But what stretches my credulity is that he is just one guy in Somewhere, Texas, who examines a plethora of speakers from many of the most experienced, respected and accomplished speaker designers and manufacturers and does not seem to find a single one that measures up to what he can achieve. Maybe I've missed some speakers that he found to be acceptable, but as far as I've seen, he finds everything he examines wanting to one degree or another. I just find it hard to believe that the likes of Revel, Wharfedale, B&W, Harbeth, ATC, etc. etc. don't measure up to this one man's standards. Then again, maybe he really is just that good.
It's truly bizarre. Obviously no one is gonna throw $400 in boutique parts on a lower priced speaker. But he acts like the response curve can't be achieved with commodity parts, which the speaker designers would surely use if they thought it was worthwhile.

I'm sure some improvement could be made in some speakers. Especially in the bracing and dampening of the cabinet, but I don't think they need designer caps.

Also, I don't think he's ever shown measurements with just a parts upgrade to show that a $100 capacitor is worth it.

tw 2022

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's truly bizarre. Obviously no one is gonna throw $400 in boutique parts on a lower priced speaker. But he acts like the response curve can't be achieved with commodity parts, which the speaker designers would surely use if they thought it was worthwhile.

I'm sure some improvement could be made in some speakers. Especially in the bracing and dampening of the cabinet, but I don't think they need designer caps.

Also, I don't think he's ever shown measurements with just a parts upgrade to show that a $100 capacitor is worth it.
Upgraded crossover parts won't make much difference at a much lower price point than Danny wants to admit , at least that's my take after talking to guys that weren't trying to separate me from my money..

Adaboy4z

I actually asked him if he could show a complete crossover that he builds for the speakers he makes videos about.... crickets

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not a speaker designer but it is my understanding that we're just reducing certain values with resistors. If that's the case, it's hardware EQ and can be done better and cheaper in software. I understand having pride in nice looking things but you're never going to see the inside of the speaker. Once you get past a certain point on the value curve, it's throwing money away.

Aerith Gainsborough

I'm not a speaker designer but it is my understanding that we're just reducing certain values with resistors. If that's the case, it's hardware EQ and can be done better and cheaper in software.
Partly correct.
In the crossover you can hardware-EQ the individual drivers, which es relevant at the crossover point especially.
You can't do that via software from the outside of the box.

This guy seems to use expensive parts just for the heck of it, though. I'm sure he could achieve the same results with cheaper ones.

CDMC

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amazing that with all the R&D and double blind work that Revel does they missed this easily solved problem. ;) Maybe it is because a small narrow peak isn’t an issue and taming it brings other issues (phase, total radiated power). The deficiencies noted by the person who sent it in sound like a classic case of a room that has poor decay times and excess refections.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I found that a comment on youtube succinctly summed up the Danny Richie stuff:

"The formula of this channel is well known by this point - take a mass-market speaker that is heavily cost-engineered, then implement different components and upgrades that would have quadrupled the original selling price, and say "we fixed it". The answer to the question "why didn't they do this in the first place" is usually for commercial reasons, not because they couldn't design a better product from the start."

tw 2022

It would actually be interesting to see measurements of the same speaker with upgraded parts (no change in crossover design, just better parts).
And i'd bet ..#1. It'll never happen.. And #2 . if it does happen the gaslighting about how " much better " it sounds will be the only narrative... The measurements will suddenly become an afterthought to gsr...

Aerith Gainsborough

And i'd bet ..#1. It'll never happen.. And #2 . if it does happen the gaslighting about how " much better " it sounds will be the only narrative... The measurements will suddenly become an afterthought to gsr...
In a direct comment, Danny Richie already told me flat out that the "transformation" and improvement in sonic quality of his mods cannot be captured by measurements.

If anything is a crimson flag, THAT should be it.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In a direct comment, Danny Richie already told me flat out that the "transformation" and improvement in sonic quality of his mods cannot be captured by measurements.

Yup. If anyone can demonstrate a sound which we can hear yet eludes microphone capture, I'll believe it. Until then, I'm a firm believer of "if we can hear it, a microphone can record it".

tw 2022

Especially when he makes a living off improving ( reputedly) other peoples work..

Ageve

Danny Richey seems like such a likable, reasonable, rational guy that I truly want to trust him and believe in his "cures."

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but I hope so. ;)

He once again ”fixed” a speaker that didn’t need fixing. He probably made it worse.

F43BDEF7-C428-4E27-B44C-8BBC0BEE0C97.png

Top Bottom