• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Where are you all with crossover points to subs or woofs ?

I use good old, reliable 80Hz whenever I can. It's a sort of standard. If you look at various Revel speaker measurements you will see that their frequency responses seem to privilege it. I think that, generally, people try to stay below 120Hz. The problem with something as high as 200Hz is two fold: first, many find that high crossovers make you hear the sub's location. And second, are you sure your sub has less distortion than the speakers at that frequency? Most have less distortion at lower frequencies.

Revel M106 bookshelf speaker Absolute Distortion THD Audio Meaurements.png

I can see why one would want to go up to 200Hz instead of 80Hz. But those are pretty good measurements. Try out 80-120Hz first.

So, mods = bad, eq = good.

got it.

We don't dare try to improve this ridiculously good speaker.

Mods aren't bad per se, it's just that they are unnecessary when you are spending $2000 for a super high quality speaker. You run so many risks, including damaging it and resale value. More, his mods are outrageously overpriced with straight up bullshit behind the cost. EQ is good because if you are serious about maximizing sound quality (and if you are willing to perform such a mod then this is a fair assumption), you need to EQ your bass no matter what. You can take care of the issues that guy says exists that way too if you really want to. For free. More, you can compare the differences easily. Good luck A/Bing a crossover mod.

tw 2022

I agree, it is a "ridiculously good speaker".

(user) "I don't mean to sound rude but I just don't see how anyone can read the measurements on page one and then do this to $2000 speakers. This is tragic."

let me see ....................

(me) I don't mean to sound rude but I just don't see how anyone can read the measurements on page one and then add eq to $2000 speakers. This is tragic.

So, mods = bad, eq = good.

got it.

We don't dare try to improve this ridiculously good speaker.
What i think he's saying is : don't fix what ain't broken... As far as eq goes::: it's never a bad idea to measure and do eq to accommodate the room...

norman bates

Forum Donor
I agree.
His prices are ludicrous.

Do half of the people here run dsp ?

I'm old, and don't want to swap out my ancient falling apart headache equipment (lol) !!!!!!
Nor add another box.
I'm long done with the eq, active crossover, quad amp setups.

This little revel is special.
It is exactly what I wanted.

But my room is big, it struggles with classic rock 15' away, and rolling off below 100hz doesn't help either.

And I also agree, a 200hz crossover is easily heard through bass guitar and drum runs.
And the harmonics are localizable, but a rythmik L12 under each of them would be sweeeet !!!

I apologize If I was snarky.

I think the foam around the tweeter helps "sharpen" up the sound, for free.

USER

Forum Donor
I'm old, and don't want to swap out my ancient falling apart headache equipment (lol) !!!!!!
Nor add another box.
I'm long done with the eq, active crossover, quad amp setups.

OK, this makes more sense now. If I am reading you right it seems that you are looking for a brighter sound (for whatever, probably very normal reason that happens with age). In this way you found something that works for you. That's all good, but please understand the reactions to your mods. One of which is based on a shill telling people that the speakers have issues and the other--let's leave that one alone. Looking at the link I posted detailing what the first mod actually does, it makes sense that you would like it as it brings up the highs.

Unfortunately it seems that for you to truly get what you want--well-integrated bass and a level of sharpening that you can fully trust without cosmetic changes--you will need DSP/what I am calling EQ. It really is by far the most important recent advancement in home audio. I understand what a pain in the ass it can be, but at the very least I really do think you owe yourself the opportunity to at least hear a full range system that is fully integrated into a room. It's something everyone should hear once.

Also, you can never go wrong with 2 Rythmik subs. I use those with my Revel F226bes. ;)

norman bates

Forum Donor
true true, even younger, a happy face smile on a 10 band eq was required for me.
I am a user and abuser of tone controls.
Flat brings me no pleasure.

And I listen at lower volumes (down in the fletcher munson curves).

oooo, nice revels there.

Are there any receivers nowadays that allow as high as a 200hz crossover point ?

My kid has my older onkyo receiver that could cross that high.
He's using it with 4x12" ppsl sub, 6th order boosted at tuning, and the morel solstice speaker kit.

:)

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
true true, even younger, a happy face smile on a 10 band eq was required for me.
I am a user and abuser of tone controls.
Flat brings me no pleasure.

And I listen at lower volumes (down in the fletcher munson curves).

oooo, nice revels there.

Are there any receivers nowadays that allow as high as a 200hz crossover point ?

My kid has my older onkyo receiver that could cross that high.
He's using it with 4x12" ppsl sub, 6th order boosted at tuning, and the morel solstice speaker kit.

:)
Denons do.

norman bates

Forum Donor
ty.

I was looking at the rotel a11 tribute, a12 mkii, and the yamaha a-s801

"The -3dB point of the HPF seemed to be about 95Hz with a 12dB/oct rolloff. Yamaha specs this at 100Hz."

giro

I'm using my trusty old Denon x3400 and a pair of RSL Speedwoofer 10S'. They're offset on the long wall of a 50’ x 14’ 8” x 8’ 2” space. The Revels are spaced 9' apart with the main listening position about 9' away. Lots of experimentation with sub placement and alignment, but as I said earlier in this thread, the mid and lower bass came alive when I added the M106's. Nothing fancy, but it puts a big grin on my face every time I fire them up!

iulianm

I wrote what I use here:
Posted my in-room measurements with/without sub here:

truwarrior22

I'm using my trusty old Denon x3400 and a pair of RSL Speedwoofer 10S'. They're offset on the long wall of a 50’ x 14’ 8” x 8’ 2” space. The Revels are spaced 9' apart with the main listening position about 9' away. Lots of experimentation with sub placement and alignment, but as I said earlier in this thread, the mid and lower bass came alive when I added the M106's. Nothing fancy, but it puts a big grin on my face every time I fire them up!
Maybe I missed something, but did you mean the mids and bass came alive after adding subs to the M106s?

giro

Maybe I missed something, but did you mean the mids and bass came alive after adding subs to the M106s?
Nope. Adding the M106s to existing subs improved the mid bass. Not sure if it's an integration thing or the step up to 6.5" mid woofers in the M106s. They replaced 1st gen Elac UniFi speakers with a 5.25" woofer. Crossover is at 80Hz, btw.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I took advantage of the sale to purchase M106s from a local dealer that beat the 30 percent off price by about 250 dollars a pair. They replaced M16s in my living room. The M106s improve just about everything compared to an already impressive speaker. They play much cleaner at loud volumes. The bass region has more impact than the M16s and reminds me more of JBL's similarly sized offerings (which are almost always fun). The upper midrange and lower treble seems significantly less distorted which was my primary long term objection to the fidelity of the M16s.
I just got my M106s and less distortion was the first thing that jumped out at me after using the M16s for 8 months or so.

truwarrior22

I just got my M106s and less distortion was the first thing that jumped out at me after using the M16s for 8 months or so.
How’s the mid bass detail compare? I know this can be largely room dependent, but I would assume the M106 has much better detail and less muddy sounding?

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How’s the mid bass detail compare? I know this can be largely room dependent, but I would assume the M106 has much better detail and less muddy sounding?
Not sure I have the perfect words to describe. Significantly cleaner, clearer, more resolving of detail...maybe it is mid-bass. It's a more complete sound. I use two subs crossed at 80. Sounds wonderful. Edit: I just tried crossing at 60 and that sounds really good..maybe better. Once I get my second Rythmik sub here next week I'll see what Audessey 32XT recommends for the crossover.

Last edited:

djkrimsom

There is a discount on the Revel M106

Discounted price: $770.00 /EACH
Regular price: $1,100.00

tw 2022

There is a discount on the Revel M106

Discounted price: $770.00 /EACH
Regular price: $1,100.00

That sales was/ is sept and October...

Acerun