• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M106 Bookshelf Speaker Review

Adaboy4z

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I mean, what part of the frequency response changed?
It was flattened a bit between 400-6khz and a couple of impedance notches were flattened out. Vertical directivity gained maybe ten degrees of stable width.
It should be noted Amirs measurments didn't show the lower frequency impedance notch that Danny's did , both on axis measurments were broadly similar between Amir and danny.
Note: Im going off memory from a few days ago here.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Don’t forget the internal cables, that made a ”huge difference”. :facepalm:
To be fair the $419 includes solder.

What really irks me is how, to enhance his own credibility, he ropes John Atkinson into his nonsense as if Atkinson thought there were problems with the speaker, when in fact JA was effusive in his praise for the speaker's design and measured performance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220509-072011.png
    Screenshot_20220509-072011.png
    638.3 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Lsc

Too bad we can’t hear the difference between the upgraded version and the original. Well looks like you can put more foam inside and get some improvements :).

Ageve

To be fair the $419 includes solder.

What really irks me is how, to enhance his own credibility, he ropes John Atkinson into his nonsense as if Atkinson thought there were problems with the speaker, when in fact JA was effusive in his praise for the speaker's design and measured performance.

Yes, he talks about John Atkinson, but somehow forgets to mention his conclusion:

Like Revel's Performa3 F208 tower model, which Erick Lichte reviewed for Stereophile in July 2014, the Performa3 M106 demonstrates excellent measured performance that in turn reveals inspired audio engineering. Though I am sure he will not appreciate it, given his disdain for the spotlight, I will give a shout-out to Harman's Mark Glazer, who, working with Kevin Voecks, has been responsible for much of the fundamental engineering of Revel speakers since the late 1990s.

I usually ignore Danny's videos, but I just had to comment this time. Instead of replying, he simply deleted the comment.

Skärmavbild 2022-05-09 kl. 17.45.37.png

BYRTT

Forum Donor
Some visuals of what GR-Research did for M106... : )

1.png

Many multi wayers have build in blending interference that can be seen study smoothness quality of Spinorama's "Directivity index curve" and M106 is one of them going rough above 2500Hz, GR-Research is not fixing that problem but is voiceing the system bit different. Based on Amir's shared spindata for M106 (Thanks) the GR-Research voiceing should look like below...

2.png

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched this one. I was surprised that between all the bullshit he actually had half an idea: it might be interesting to see what a piece of felt on each side of the tweeter (under the grille!) does for diffraction. He used his “no rez” but felt is probably better.

Ageve

To his credit, he actually replied to my second comment. He believes there are audible differences between components that can’t be measured, or that the measurements are incorrect.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Thank you @BYRTT. Honestly the on-axis does look a little improved. But, not worth spending the money on the upgrade because you could have just gotten a better speaker instead.
More energy above 5k versus a relatively smooth Harman curve roll off. That's voicing not a fix. The more narrow blip as he says himself could be easily addressed with a notch filter eq if one thought necessary.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
All I know is my M126be pair of speakers beat out about 25 sets of speakers in my listening sessions and all sorts of other speaker combinations juiced with PEQ.
Believe me I was actually surprised at how good they are and how quickly I lost interest in testing many other speakers.
I have no particular interest in an expensive speaker and would much rather less expensive monitors have won my heart.

He once compared the M126be to some cheap Wharfedales that I owned. He must be deaf despite his loving the sound his tube connector make.

He does seem to be having fun though. I am jealous of that part, making money playing around with audio gear...

Last edited:

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
It shouldn't be there in the anechoic measurement. And that's a period :)
If a flat 20hrz-20khz anechoic measurement is the only goal, then yes I agree with you.
There are other potential design goals possible as well as numerous compromises to be made with all the requisite give and take so I find it hard to place the firm "period" there like you are.

Danny re-voiced a speaker that was likely voiced the way it is as the result of Blind testing trials and more sophisticated measurements then he can produce.
Be cool to see an actual spin and Klipple suite on these mods, even more cool an actual blind listening test between the two versions of the crossover.

Is it better, who knows? It is different that is clear, so folks will have a chance to hear a difference - and then decide whatever they want about said change.

Top Bottom