• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 vs M106 -- how to interpret measurements?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Hey DJ. What did you use for a Center Channel with the M16? Are you using the third M106 for your new Center Channel?

I was thinking, even if I picked up the M105 or M106, I might be able to use the C25 from the Concerta2 line, as I believe the voicing should be similar between the Performa3 and Concerta2. I have the Concerta M8 pegged for the surrounds.

Regarding volume:
I like 'moderately loud', if that makes sense. I like the sound turned up, just to the point where the speakers open up - maybe a bit more. I'm not a fan of loud for the sake of being loud — to the point where everything becomes a sloppy sonic mess. I already have tinnitus from photographing so many wedding receptions, and standing so close to their speakers. My first few years I didn't wear ear protection, and that was a stupid mistake on my part. Don't know what I was thinking... Anyway...

When I cranked up the Vandersteen, KEF R3 and the Sonetto 1, the sound became messy. The Vandersteen felt the worst of them all - like a giant echo chamber. The KEFs were more abrasive than the others. The Sonettos felt muddy - they lost a lot of clarity. However, the soundstage of the Sonnettos is very impressive when they reached that point where they open up.

I didn't feel any of the muddiness or messy sound from the M105. But I didn't push them as far as the other three either, at least it didn't seem like it. Plus, the Revel M105 was at a different location - so not the same listening room. Regardless, I don't think I'd push any of those speakers to that point, as they tend to hurt my ears.

For movies, we do tend to push the volume quite a bit, but never to an extreme volume.

There was just a smoothness from the M105s I don't think the others three speakers possessed. And that smoothness has drawn me to the Revel family.

On the flip side of this. Which of the three Revels would work best with the volume down a bit for evening listening?

I'm going to have to head back to the Revel dealer, and give the M16, 105 and 106 speakers a listen again. Road Trip! :)

I have a pair of F206s in my home theater / listening room. I talked the dealer into throwing in the Concerta C25 in addition to giving me a modest discount. I did not bother to hook it up for 3 weeks, as the directivity on the F206s is so good, and the phantom center so solid, I wasn't sure I needed it. I finally got around to hooking it up last weekend. It integrates perfectly with the Performas. The combination works very well. Still not sure I need it, though...

Be aware, that if you want to leave the grills off, the drivers look different between the Performas and Concertas. The Performas have black tweeters and matte cones. The Concertas have silver tweeters and satin cones.

I second the recommendation for the Denon 3600H receiver. I have the 4700H and am very pleased with its sound quality, although I do run an external amp for my front pair.

OP
E

ElNino

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Regarding volume:
I like 'moderately loud', if that makes sense. I like the sound turned up, just to the point where the speakers open up - maybe a bit more.
On the flip side of this. Which of the three Revels would work best with the volume down a bit for evening listening?

I find my Revel M105 sound best at moderate volume levels, particularly when running full range rather than high-passed. I'm probably a little more sensitive to IMD than average, but I find that when run full range, when you turn up the volume the tonal balance shifts a little towards a subjective hardness. Not harsh and definitely still listenable, but a little more flat/hard than at lower volumes. With an LR4 high-pass filter at 80hz, this goes away -- you can push them a lot further.

I think the choice between the M16, M105 and M106 really should come down to whether you intend to run them with an active highpass and a sub.

Bliman

I have Dynaudio 52 SE now and when I listen to this here it sounds so so good
Is this like they are in real life?
I hear a very controlled sound, no harshness to be found, all transparent, no distortion.
My Dynaudio has a sort of harshness in the sound and it is starting to turn me off (certainly now that I sometimes have a headache). I don't know if it is because I am feeding the RME ADI DAC with music from my laptop (flac files) or it is the speaker.While I listen to the video with my beyerdynamic headphones I just flow in the music. I would go for the m106 and also buy a subwoofer but I fear it would be a sidestep from the Dynaudio 52SE.
Can you play around 80-90 dB without them sounding hard or losing control?

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Dynaudio 52 SE now and when I listen to this here it sounds so so good
Is this like they are in real life?
I hear a very controlled sound, no harshness to be found, all transparent, no distortion.
My Dynaudio has a sort of harshness in the sound and it is starting to turn me off (certainly now that I sometimes have a headache). I don't know if it is because I am feeding the RME ADI DAC with music from my laptop (flac files) or it is the speaker.While I listen to the video with my beyerdynamic headphones I just flow in the music. I would go for the m106 and also buy a subwoofer but I fear it would be a sidestep from the Dynaudio 52SE.
Can you play around 80-90 dB without them sounding hard or losing control?

What is your listening distance? They can do 80-90dB, but not much above that. IMO, they're wonderful speakers. Overall, I slightly prefer the Genelec 8030c for modern music, but I think I prefer the M105s for classical music. IMO, they better portray the sense of being in a concert hall. Very hard to go wrong with Revel M105 or M106.

Bliman

What is your listening distance? They can do 80-90dB, but not much above that. IMO, they're wonderful speakers. Overall, I slightly prefer the Genelec 8030c for modern music, but I think I prefer the M105s for classical music. IMO, they better portray the sense of being in a concert hall. Very hard to go wrong with Revel M105 or M106.
Around 230 cm to the speakers I think (room is 5m by 5m 2.46 m high gable roof).
The M106 sound really nice as well as the Goldenear BRX, They also seem to have the same qualities.
But I am afraid they will sound harsh when play around 85-90 dB.

chang

I can say that if you do not listen loudly the M105 has plenty on tap

He recommends the M106 as most people who follow his design philosophy always recommend a 6.5" sized driver over a 5.25". This is because it is thought that even when crossing actively at 80hrz (using bass management to high pass the monitor) the 5 incher is thought to be just to small - bear in mind this really only applies at high volumes.
The driver used in M105 is quite substantial. I found my pair provides very reasonable output without ever sounding compressed or distorted. It has some of the cleanest bass I have owned in a 5incher (but not the deepest) It is a very compact design and the bass it produces defies the size. I think you could get by enjoying most music without a sub.
Frankly, I suspect the notion of less room issues without a sub is an odd notion. I do understand that you may have to pick a location based on other factors but the subwoofer can be moved around for optimal bass reinforcement and the monitors can not. In any case I found the M105 speakers blend well with a sub around 50hrz. Start there. If you have active high pass ability and want a little more ommph maybe try 80hrz. (I would still use 50-60hrz myself)
Anyway, if price and size are not a factor I'd buy the M106 for the extra dynamics and sightly better low end - because why not? Actually buy both and return the one you like less. (you will like them both of course as they are awesome but you must try them out in your home)
Measurements will simply and unequivocally NOT tell you the whole story and not everyone likes the same sound signature/qualities. Never buy a speaker based on the "Spins", use that to guide you but buy a speaker because you like how it sounds.
How loud can you play the 105's before compression/distortion?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
How loud can you play the 105's before compression/distortion?
Howdy, I don't have the m105s anymore.
I also moved and my room is a little larger. The m105 would need subs here.

So a lot of the answer depends on room size.

I would also use a 100hrz crossover here vs the lower one I used before.

I don't know exactly how loudly the m105s go before compression but anecdotally my m126be in my current room crossed at about 90hrz can play extremely loud.

The compression in the m126be is mainly around the port tuning of about 50hrz but since with a 90hrz hp they are well down in output levels there it is a non issue. I suspect the m105 design follows suit.

chang

Howdy, I don't have the m105s anymore.
I also moved and my room is a little larger. The m105 would need subs here.

So a lot of the answer depends on room size.

I would also use a 100hrz crossover here vs the lower one I used before.

I don't know exactly how loudly the m105s go before compression but anecdotally my m126be in my current room crossed at about 90hrz can play extremely loud.

The compression in the m126be is mainly around the port tuning of about 50hrz but since with a 90hrz hp they are well down in output levels there it is a non issue. I suspect the m105 design follows suit.
Much appreciated. I was trying to decide between the 105's & 106's. The 105's would probably be more than enough 95% of the time, but the other 5% might annoy me too much if I wanted to crank them

Top Bottom