• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 Experiment

Elkerton

So, I watched a video of Danny Richie tearing down a Revel M106 and dismissed most of what he said, but one thing caught my ear was placing felt along the sides of the speaker up to the front baffle to control edge diffraction. Hmmm... When I sold (and own) the PSB Avante (and own), Avantini, Passif 1, and Passif 2, a felt pad surrounded each tweeter. When I sold (and own) Energy 22s, there was foam surrounding the tweeter. When I sold and owned the PSB Project B2, the front baffle was made in 3 sections, the two outer at 45 degrees to the front to control edge diffraction. When I look at the Revel Ultima or Salon 2, I notice that the cabinet is shaped around the tweeter and midrange drivers.

I folded a couple of hand towels and draped them over my M105s so that they didn't cover the front baffle, but covered the sides of the speakers up to the front of it. They sound cleaner to me, an audiophile friend, and a recording engineer and producer. Unfortunately, I don't have the measuring equipment to verify our listening (and wouldn't know how to interpret the results if I did). However, I will continue to play and may find some felt I can fashion in a more aesthetic way around the tweeter.

Last edited:

beren777

I find that wrapping a few layers of Saran premium plastic wrap around the entire speaker really helps to tame the lower bass boost and evens out the high frequency response.

Paweł L

Danny had actually very useful 'trick' this time. I remember my Audio Concepts used felt around the tweeter to cut the diffraction effects. I like the SB17NBAC-4 midwoofers enough, and they do have some issues other than the cone break up, but other people measurements don't come up as bad as Danny's (I also use Clio) below 1k. Strangely enough ASR's Klippel measurements are quite good.

OP
E

Elkerton

I'm sure the cling wrap does wonders, as if listening in another room even

jonfitch

I think NHT used to do this and put a large amount of foam surrounding their drivers.

Chaconne

Just for kicks and to see what happened, I stuffed some felt into the grilles of my Sony SS-CS5 speakers. Not pretty, I know, but you can't see it with the grilles in place. I haven't tried doing a serious, focused with/without comparison, but a somewhat casual, sighted A/B revealed no significant differences.

IMG_3695.jpeg

Certainkindoffool

Forum Donor
If you look at some of the Dunlavy/Duntech speakers, they use a healthy amount of foam and felt.

Attachments

• 1927878-f391da13-dunlavy-scv-speakers-sc5-audiophile-speakers.jpg
    1927878-f391da13-dunlavy-scv-speakers-sc5-audiophile-speakers.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 104

Galliardist

Major Contributor
If you look at some of the Dunlavy/Duntech speakers, they use a healthy amount of foam and felt.
It’s necessary on those speakers because of the physical steps on the front baffle.

spamilton

I find that wrapping a few layers of Saran premium plastic wrap around the entire speaker really helps to tame the lower bass boost and evens out the high frequency response.
Indeed. Definitely make sure it is Saran brand. Store brand doesn't cut it.

DavidMcRoy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Adding real wool (a synthetic product or a product with added synthetic content is more reflective, supposedly) around a driver does two things: it absorbs energy to prevent the adverse effects of diffraction, and, to the degree that it is still somewhat reflective, it creates a sort of waveguide. It's a partially absorptive waveguide, if you will.

Top Bottom