• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel M105 Copy DIY build

Heine

Forum Donor
I'm trying to have the waveguides printed by materialize.com - however, the STL file does not get imported in the right scale and I need to manually have it scaled up. Does anyone have the right measurements for the waveguide?

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
5.8" Wide by 3.89" tall for the 5" Version

Attachments

• AP5-H.png
    AP5-H.png
    311.2 KB · Views: 152
  • AP5-W.png
    AP5-W.png
    312.8 KB · Views: 148
OP
McFly

McFly

While patiently waiting for a calibrated mic to turn up, here's a teaser on another speaker I'm working on - a scaled up version of this concept with an augerpro 8" waveguide. Output much higher than the 105 copy.

1646168667169.png

Hard to get flatten the power response warble around the XO, being a two way. True sensitivity is 88db (not shown). Keens might be able to pick the woofer by the breakup 'hint'

Another bonus is this is a dead plain box speaker, no roundovers.

Paweł L

While patiently waiting for a calibrated mic to turn up, here's a teaser on another speaker I'm working on - a scaled up version of this concept with an augerpro 8" waveguide. Output much higher than the 105 copy.

View attachment 189979

Hard to get flatten the power response warble around the XO, being a two way. True sensitivity is 88db (not shown). Keens might be able to pick the woofer by the breakup 'hint'

Another bonus is this is a dead plain box speaker, no roundovers.
The woofer would be something of 6.5" or slightly larger but not most likely from SB. It has a severe break-up around 4-6kHz. No idea what brand or model. BTW is the woofer's frd anechoic or spliced from semi anechoic and nearfield.

Paweł L

I don't think it's ER18RNX, as Seas freq response falls of past 6k, and this one keeps going.

OP
McFly

McFly

The woofer would be something of 6.5" or slightly larger but not most likely from SB. It has a severe break-up around 4-6kHz. No idea what brand or model. BTW is the woofer's frd anechoic or spliced from semi anechoic and nearfield.
Funnily enough, its a Satori 7.5”. I get a much worse 5k breakup than any of the published measurements. I haven't seen many other published measurements of this woofer. But it sounds crazy clean. I really like it. This is an older - perhaps one of the first ones - woofer.

SATORI-MW19TX-4_1024x1024.jpg

mw19tx-4 0-30-60 in 250x450 baffle.jpg

As you can see, its totally out of control after 4k so the cross is 1.8k max to hammer that down.

I will start a new thread for this.

Last edited:
OP
McFly

McFly

Two really good looking waveguides from i.materialize.
Those look really tidy. SLS with a black finish or something else?

Ericglo

Funnily enough, its a Satori. I get a much worse 5k breakup than any of the published measurements. I haven't seen many other published measurements of this woofer. But it sounds crazy clean. I really like it. This is an older - perhaps one of the first ones - woofer.

View attachment 190208

View attachment 190212

As you can see, its totally our of control after 4k so the cross is 1.8k max to hammer that down.

Interesting

Paweł L

Funnily enough, its a Satori 7.5”. I get a much worse 5k breakup than any of the published measurements. I haven't seen many other published measurements of this woofer. But it sounds crazy clean. I really like it. This is an older - perhaps one of the first ones - woofer.

View attachment 190208

View attachment 190212

As you can see, its totally out of control after 4k so the cross is 1.8k max to hammer that down.

Oh you sneaky SB ..., ah stupid me. I forgot the Satori Textreme cone exists. Also because of it's pronounced cone break-up I didn't pay too much attention to them. BTW, how does the Textreme sound comparing to Alu cone SBs in terms of character/colorations? I wish there was Satori version of the Alu NBAC line - excellent woofers IMO.
As for the break ups in measurements, I noticed similar situation - seems like 3rd party data is nicely smoothed over. Other than the dip around 2k, this woofer is quite workable, but will require some extra parts for the crossover network.

Last edited:

mga2009

@McFly , awesome job! Congrats.

If you have the time, It would be great to see how they perform in a sealed alignment (+SW) for HT use!

Also many thanks to @augerpro for those waveguides! Looking forward to the speaker designs you mentioned a few post back. They will be open source?

DanielT

Major Contributor
Good work! Impressive. :D

There are popular elements. Even that waveguide is apparently used by more and more DIY people. Here is Samuels, the same tweeter with the same waveguide, same midrange element and a bass element in a three-way construction. Bass in his case, Satori WO24P-4. I have listened to them, at the Vintage DIY fair I was at in November last year. They sounded really good. So those elements have potentntial, which of course you know yourself.:)

IMG_4299 (2).jpg

Samuel has his own construction thread about them with various thoughts and measurements. If you can translate automatically from Swedish, if you are interested. I suspect you will recognize yourself in a lot of thinking regarding the elements, crossovers, placement of elements and so on.:) Many pictures in his thread. From page 4.

Attachments

• IMG_4302 (2).jpg
    IMG_4302 (2).jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20211106_120809 (1) (1).jpg
    IMG_20211106_120809 (1) (1).jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 173
  • waveguide in printer.jpg
    waveguide in printer.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 193
OP
McFly

McFly

Getting back on the M105 copies;

After living with the M105 'copies' there is something that bugs me - it's like a sheen/glare over the entire midrange. I kept trying to ignore it but eventually I couldn't and it bugged me. Perhaps I failed to supress the woofer breakup sufficiently. I suspected the woofer and have since swapped it for a paper cone scan speak - if the problem goes away I will provide updates with the scan speak unit. Here's preliminary quick data

1650266984474.png

;)

1650267265669.png

OP
McFly

McFly

Good work! Impressive. :D

There are popular elements. Even that waveguide is apparently used by more and more DIY people. Here is Samuels, the same tweeter with the same waveguide, same midrange element and a bass element in a three-way construction. Bass in his case, Satori WO24P-4. I have listened to them, at the Vintage DIY fair I was at in November last year. They sounded really good. So those elements have potentntial, which of course you know yourself.:)

View attachment 200038

Samuel has his own construction thread about them with various thoughts and measurements. If you can translate automatically from Swedish, if you are interested. I suspect you will recognize yourself in a lot of thinking regarding the elements, crossovers, placement of elements and so on.:) Many pictures in his thread. From page 4.

Those will be nice - especially with DSP. However if it were me, I'd go narrow baffle for the mid/tweet. Sure, wouldn't look as good, but IMO the baffle needs to be as close as possible to those high frequency units when using the waveguide.

augerpro

Are you using DSP? If so, play the music where you hear the issue and turn a driver off and see which is the offender. If it's woofer I would suspect breakup needs better suppression. If the tweeter i would suspect it needs Fs compensation.

EDIT: tweeter seems a little hot 4-6khz.

TimVG

Major Contributor
I'd be surprised if the SB was the culprit, even with a limited number of parts breakup is well managed.

1650446448621.png

1650446470177.png

If you're willing to share your Vcad project with me I'd be happy to take a look.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Getting back on the M105 copies;

After living with the M105 'copies' there is something that bugs me - it's like a sheen/glare over the entire midrange.
View attachment 200672

;)

View attachment 200675
Hm, does it apply all the time or do you think you experience it every now and then?

With certain songs?

Edit:
So here, a thought on my part if it is not FR that is the problem then distortion and directivity remain.

Distortion, if you compare with what you have listened to before. A hypothesis, if you hear it sometimes, it may be due to low distortion. You hear clearer details and clarity in a way you have not heard before? It sounds clearer on some recordings. If it is a problem in itself, one can wonder, if your previous speakers via distortion masked what you now hear and experience as strange or irritating? Note this is only a hypothesis. I do not know what you have listened to for speakers before.:)

Last edited:
Top Bottom