• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Revel: Loose Drivers

Jud11

Does Revel have issues tightening the bolts for the drivers? I recently purchased a 2nd set of Revel bookshelf speakers and having noticed a high pitched resonance I checked the drivers on that speaker and some of the bolts were quite loose for the tweeter and woofer. I had the same issue on the previous set. These were b-stock and the previous pair were new. Seems strange to of happened twice.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Probably someone had a REALLY good time with them.
Are the rest of the measurements ok?
How's the distortion?

OP
J

Jud11

Probably someone had a REALLY good time with them.
Are the rest of the measurements ok?
How's the distortion?
Everything is fine now that I’ve tighten all the bolts. Just seemed strange that it happened twice. The first set were new, not b-stock.

3125b

Major Contributor
I've heard similar things about Wharfdale.
Maybe they've recently changed their hiring practices, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and so on :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It might be as simple as lengthy storage in a dry environment, where the wood (or MDF) shrinks.

OP
J

Jud11

I've heard similar things about Wharfdale.
Maybe they've recently changed their hiring practices, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys and so on :)
Haven’t heard that one, “you pay peanuts you get monkeys”? Not sure what that means but I wouldn’t say revels cost peanuts.
It might be as simple as lengthy storage in a dry environment, where the wood (or MDF) shrinks.
maybe, at least it was an easy fix. I guess it’s a good thing the bolts are in the front.

Penelinfi

Haven’t heard that one, “you pay peanuts you get monkeys”? Not sure what that means but I wouldn’t say revels cost peanuts.

maybe, at least it was an easy fix. I guess it’s a good thing the bolts are in the front.
They meant pay peanuts to the people assembling the speakers

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
A lot of the older speakers maintenance included checking the torque on drivers and rotating them 180 degrees every 2000 hours or so. Once a year
is a good rule of thumb. I've purchased a few speakers that were retired because of just that, lose, leaking drivers. I lost a few buys, by pointing it out too.

Win some lose some.

egellings

Major Contributor
Everything is fine now that I’ve tighten all the bolts. Just seemed strange that it happened twice. The first set were new, not b-stock.
Be sure that they have lock washers!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My DIY experience with large drivers at least (15") is that a threaded metal piece in the cabinet and a standard screw are the best fasteners. I've had wood screws of various sorts inevitably loosen.

Top Bottom